Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most used 9 MM bullet weight

Most used 9 MM bullet weight

With NOE's holiday sale going on, I'm thinking about adding a 9 MM mold to my collection of NOE molds . The main use will be just plinking with my Glock 19's. And since they have OME barrels I'm thinking about one of the GC designs http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...6fgb1ollah5fb1

IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Grand Master
    122 gr. Plinking does not take stopping power. Less lead means more bullets per lb. Plus I have over 10k of the things.

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    122 gr. Plinking does not take stopping power. Less lead means more bullets per lb. Plus I have over 10k of the things.

Don Verna
    You are correct i cast for 9mm 125 gr. And 45 acp 230 gr. I can cast twice as many 9mm vs 45.

Boolit Master
    Not knowing enough about the 140+ gr. projectiles for the 9x19mm, my "default" decision would probably something in the 120-130gr. range (varies with alloy, I suspect). Even with the heavier bullets, the number of bullets/pound is advantageous. If I knew of a mould that would throw a 140 - 145 gr. SWC(HP) with a wide meplat, I'd sure be tempted to try it.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

The mold that's given me the least trouble in 9mm is an noe 359-92rn 92 grain round nose. I use the same boolit in 380.
    Last edited by OptimusPanda; 12-01-2016 at 08:10 PM.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master

9mm Cast Designs and Weights

I've always preferred boolit weights between 115 grains to 125 grains in the 9mm and really like my RCBS moulds with their truncated cone design. They feed reliably in any 9mm that I've shot them in and they are accurate to boot. I do use the 9mm 147 grain design (sized .358) in my 38 Specials and 357 Magnums but not in the 9mm where it's the bees knees. Go figure.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the NOE version of the Lee 356-120TC, the regular, not the tumble lube version. But any 115-130 grain boolit should suit your needs. These will allow you to shoot close to point of aim without loading them so hot you turn your bore into a lead mine.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

My Hi-Powers and Beretta's love the little 105g TC sized .358. NOE does not make that mold, but I have had a lot of success with it. I suspect the 95g SP and 92g RN would do just fine if you are looking at an economical angle for bullets per pound. I do not launch them fast, I just run them to suit the fixed sights at 25yds. They make for wonderful training rounds for new shooters, shooters moving up in the power, and recoil adverse. For hard hitting the 135g TC is where I go.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    I have the Noe 358-124-TC gas checked. Runs great through my 3 pistols. I run it over 4.4 grs of HP-38. I love it.

Boolit Master

125gr bullets seem to be the best compromise bullet weight for 9x19 cartridges. Finding a gas-checked 9mm mold may be difficult but since you are talking about a NOE mold, you can probably get that option added to your mold.

To be honest, I like the RN and the TC designs for all my 9mm bullets and haven't had any feed issues in regards to bullet shape. I honestly have to say I shoot both designs equally as when I cast for 9mm, I use two molds at the same time. one is the LEE RN 124gr and the other is the LEE TC 124gr bullet and I alternate between the molds to create a huge stack of boolits. You just reminded me to run the pot this weekend for another 10lbs of 9mm bullets.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy

I use the Lee 125 RN TL. They feed flawlessly in 4 different pistols I have in 9mm, one of those a Glock. I powder coat and don't see a need for a GC. I like to keep the speed under 1000 fps. This seems to give me the best accuaracy and stability. Going lighter makes it hard to keep them this slow. Very economical and fun to shoot.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Boolit Grand Master

Most used 9 MM bullet weight

You don't need a GC. You can shoot cast w/out issue in your OEM Glock barrel. There is a long thread about this.

Your gun is going to determine what it likes. I have the 358-124-TC but run it predominately in 357 Sig. I see no reason why it wouldn't work fine in a 9mm. The 358-155-TC ELCO was designed specifically for 9mm. This is why it has a bevel base. There is results thread about it here. If you want a heavyweight that's the mold to get.

Thank all, I hadn't given the Lee 2 cavities any thought due to past experiences with their rifle molds, BUT, two different 2 cavity molds
    [their 125 RF & the 120 TC] will give me a chance to see which one does best.

Boolit Man
    I have the 124gr Lee 6 cavity in their tumble lube and grease groove round nose designs. I fully recommend those as their new venting system and lockup lugs make these things arguably the best bang for the buck. I use both models in competitions interchangeably and my Glock 34 eats them up no problem. Zero issues in feeding/chambering. My alloy drops them at about 125gr (12.5lbs of jacketed range scrap + 2.5lbs of RotoMetals Foundry)
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Boolit Master

Now being different I like a 135 grain bullet in the 9mm and 38 super, not a fan of the 115,124,147 grain in the 9mm. Each to his own though and for me it would have to be 135grain
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    Thank all, I hadn't given the Lee 2 cavities any thought due to past experiences with their rifle molds, BUT, two different 2 cavity molds
    [their 125 RF & the 120 TC] will give me a chance to see which one does best.
    Forget the two cavity, get the six cavity lees.

I have the 120 gr tc and it casts great. Trouble is my Dillon seating die loads it cockeyed into my brass so I need to make a custom seating stem or more likely will replace it with a Hornady seating die. I would have gone with the Lee 125 rf but they were out of stock when I ordered the 120 tc.

Boolit Master

Get the two cavity molds and find what you like. Then sell the ones you don't want for a few dollars less than new and buy a six cavity if you need one. I have many of both and you can turn out a lot of boolits with a two cavity mold.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Get the two cavity molds and find what you like. Then sell the ones you don't want for a few dollars less than new and buy a six cavity if you need one. I have many of both and you can turn out a lot of boolits with a two cavity mold.
    My thought actually !!

I have the NOE-358-135-FN and love it. It never fails to feed and shoots accurately whether loaded hot or light.
    For the money I saved by not buying other weight molds, I can shoot thousands of these.
    As a bonus, they drop large enough to use in my 38/357 revolvers.

Boolit Master

I like 147gr in 9mm, the recoil is less and I find that important in the subcompact 9mm pistols we have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast