Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: lino?

Boolit Master

lino?

is lino too hard to hunt deer
    with?

Boolit Master

I would cut it at least 60% with pure. Lino 125 grainers explode on chucks in my experience.

Besides being a waste of lino.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never tried it but Smokin Joe told me he did and made a big mistake in doing so and never to use str8 lino for hunting
    said shattered like glass and did not do good as a hunting boolit
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Add 60% pure. Lino is fine for some purposes but not hunting deer in my experience. Add a littler bit of tin too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Add 60% pure. Lino is fine for some purposes but not hunting deer in my experience. Add a littler bit of tin too.
    I have wheel weights and range lead but I have a 1874 Sharps that shoots Lino great and was just wondering if I could use that load for hunting. Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    I have wheel weights and range lead but I have a 1874 Sharps that shoots Lino great and was just wondering if I could use that load for hunting. Thanks
    You can treat your range scrap as pure and you'll be good
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    You say that your Sharps shoots lino great,how does it shoot with WW or
    pure or 20:1 or 16:1 ? Straight lino can splinter and spread shards of hard lead when a bone is contacted even at lower velocities. Give us more info on what caliber and weight and velocity you want and maybe we can help. Straight lino in .224 or .243 at 2000 fps or above is explosive on varmints small and medium. In my limited trials straight lino is too brittle for deer size game. Air cooled WW with a boolit with a large meplate is a 2 step deer load. 2 steps and they drop.If you are shooting a 45/70 choose a large meplate and even at modest velocities a 300 grain boolit or larger will punch through the entire length of a deer ,leaving a 45 caliber wound tract. If you happen to hit a bone boolit will expand slightly and anchor the deer without massive meat loss like the new magnum calibers . Sorry I got on my soap box have seen too many people with 300 Win mags shooting our 100 to 150 pound whitetail deer here in OK and hitting the front shoulder and destroying half of a deer. To answer your question, lino is too hard for a hunting boolit. Cut it in half with WW or pure lead and you are on the right track.Add a little tin and you have a boolit that will cut a clean hole through the animal that will bleed it out in seconds not minutes