RepackboxPBcastcoReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting the woods...what is a brush gun?

Boolit Grand Master
    brush gun = any gun I have in my hands when hunting in the brush
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Yup I remember Wooters doing this with dowels. It was a fun interesting video.

Once upon a time folks could not afford or were guns made to accomedate optics. In those days with open sights you may not see all the brush that may be between you and the deer because they can be very small twigs etc. So the "brush gun" was the answer to owe misses blamed on bullets thought to be deflected by that brush. I think many folks understand firing through brush that thick is not a safe practice. But for that errant branch or twig that may deflect lighter high velocity projectiles the big bore WFN bullets will stay on course. I think the test has validity I think about those arrows over the years that deflected by a limb that was not apperant to my eye makes me laugh. Good video interesting stuff. Of course I am big bore fan anyways so this is not going to cost me any anniversary money but it does vindicate my already many gun expenditures.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
    I do not even consider Brush Penetration in my definition of a Brush Gun.
    Easy to carry.
    Fast handling.
    Good Close Range Sights.
    Plenty of Power for <100 yard shots.
    Needs to make a good size hole in both sides for a easy to follow blood trail.

In rifles a Lever, Pump, or Bolt Action will all work just fine.
    Something you are very comfortable to use.

Just My 2 Cents.

Bob
    yep, i'll agree with that

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    If per chance you refer to Gulf Hammock, that would be very near where the pic was taken. Hunt the Hammock now and then as well.
    Yes Sir, that is Gulf Hammock, we have a small little place there that I built shooting houses on.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box blind (2).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	201383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box blind.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	201384

Boolit Master
    I think everyone else is mistaken on this issue, completely. So I tested all of my rifles just to see what worked and what didn't work in heavy brush. And I discovered that my Garand with all of those black tipped bullets on machine gun belts I bought 40 years ago did a pretty good job of hitting the target set behind trees of up to 8" in diameter. But it was nothing compared to the 50 BMG loaded hot with those armor piercing bullets. It went in a straight line through trees up to 16" in diameter and still hit the target. In fact that one went through that 1/2" steel plate I was using for the target. If you are brush hunting you don't want to use soft cast lead at a soft Brinell of only 30. You need to step up to those hard fully jacketed solids like they use on elephant in Africa!

Boolit Master
    Don, that AP stuff is marginal at best. Some years back I was doing recon on a jungle trail network when a pig bolted in a vain attempt to escape. My high cover put a 2.75" FFAR w/17# HE quick fuse on him. Totally effective despite the cover. Wasn't much left for the mess kit.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Flatline, I hope you have a recliner in the treehouse. If so make sure it doesn't squeak.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Don, that AP stuff is marginal at best. Some years back I was doing recon on a jungle trail network when a pig bolted in a vain attempt to escape. My high cover put a 2.75" FFAR w/17# HE quick fuse on him. Totally effective despite the cover. Wasn't much left for the mess kit.
    Well, I knew someone would disagree with me anyway. Thanks Digital Dan. I was just reporting on effective ammo to hit a target in brush. Of course I am not going to carry that 50 BMG into the woods to shoot deer in brush, it weighs more than 30 pounds and is kind of hard to carry up into the deer stand since I am getting more elderly. So I take that 6 pound short-barreled Winchester 94 in 32-40 (John Wayne Commerative) to kill deer with. Much more handy and last year shot 3 deer with it in thick brush. All one-shot kills even after one of the cast, 170 grain, gas checked flat tipped projectiles over 26.5 grains of IMR-3031 cut right through a tree branch right in front of me. But it still hit the deer about 40 yards away.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Totally agree blue, big, slow and heavy wins this race every time.

Small and fast only works if it never touches anything.

Not much beats shotguns and slugs in this department in my opinion.
    I have seen several deer harvested that in the space of one jump went from being visible to being invisible. And the slugs went through that stuff and did their job.
    What GostHawk said! Hard to beat a shotgun for this! For most of my life (63yrs) I have lived ad hunted in a "shotgun-only" area. Only for the last 9 years have rifles been legal here (western NY). Average shot here is 25-30 yds. I've come to believe that a shotgun loaded with slugs is as quick handling and deer-deadly as anyone would need in this area.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Moderator Emeritus

On another note, I have a friend who's shot more deer than most hunters have SEEN! He once told me that he thought that the .243 was a very good "brush gun" because with its flat trajectory, one can shoot THROUGH brush, into the little "holes" in it, and avoid the brush entirely, IF one can place his shots precisely. And he's proven that theory on quite a few occasions, too.

It'll never be the gun or knife or other weapon. The REAL weapon is the person holding whatever it is that REALLY makes things work .... or not.

You fellas have twisted this thread all over the planet....geeez! We have some real comedians on this forum!

It's not about intentionally shooting through trees, holes in the brush or twigs...it's about having a chance of hitting the game when encountering an obstacle by accident...the invisible twig.

Hell, let's just hunt with hand grenades...that oughta gettem!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Hunting the woods...what is a brush gun?

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Hell, let's just hunt with hand grenades...that oughta gettem!
    Fishing at night w/ glow sticks and dynamite is more fun than hunting w/ hand grenades. Of course I have no experience w/ either

HaaaH! I think that little yellow dot winked at me....your busted! . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Vendor Sponsor

I have always preferred claymores .. sit in the house, sipping my coffee, just waiting for the bang
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Moderator Emeritus

indeed, OS OK, et all! But with all the young and still budding folks on the site, it's always good to point out things the OP might not have asked for, but are inherent in dealing with the matter at hand. So .... guilty as charged, and all I can do is plea for mercy! Hope you guys are in a good mood!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I just want to know why all the bush hunting I hunt meat.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

me too, but it was much more popular in the 70's than it is nowadays, according to the photos in the magazines I have read, lol
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I have always preferred claymores .. sit in the house, sipping my coffee, just waiting for the bang

Yes. claymores are good, but I prefer to use my H&K 36mm flare gun......It kills and cooks them at the same time, just be sure you have a fork and knife with you when they hit the ground.

ahhh, very efficient!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Yes. claymores are good, but I prefer to use my H&K 36mm flare gun......It kills and cooks them at the same time, just be sure you have a fork and knife with you when they hit the ground.

No, no, no. In reality folks, if I am going hunting where the area has deep and dense woods I usually carry two weapons, my handy long arm, but my brush gun is this puppy with 300 grain XTP's. All six of them. You had better be real quick for the first hundred yards.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast