Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: I want to build a Mauser sporter

Boolit Master

I want to build a Mauser sporter

I have a new Norwegian 308 barrel and I think a standard length 98 Mauser action. I 'll use a Lyman peep receiver sight. I need recommendations for a front sight and a sporter stock. This is just a cast plinker but ....

I want a stock that is simple and classic...rubber butt pad ... maybe laminated.... points and carrys well.... needs to hold sling swivels well as this will be a carry in the woods gun.

Anyone have pictures to show for ideas?

Is there a gunsmith that specializes in Mauser rebarrels?

Thanks, Dale

Read, read and read! Plenty of information on making sporters from Mausers out there. You can do most of the work your self with hand tools if you're inclined. Decide what you want and go for it. I have to say...it's cheaper and easier to fix up a new cheap rifle, though. The tools needed alone will cost more than a cheap rifle, unless you can make some of them. Barrel vise blocks, barrel wrench, stock makers guides, "GO" and "NO GO" gauges, finish chamber reamer, Dremel tools and bits....
    A deplorable that votes!

I have one going right now, thread titled k98 project. I like the stock I got from Numrich, it's a walnut second from who knows were. It was low cost $50 shipped and will be a little more work but I've got all winter. I did mine with a Lyman 57 sight and an original 8x57 barrel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0197-320x181.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	181732

Boolit Master
    I have the guages... and a pretty good shop... it doesn't have to be pretty, but functional and sturdy....shoot good....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	181736

Bought that from Boyds I believe it was 90 or so bucks with the recoil pad installed. I like it
    that Mauser is a 25-06

Boolit Grand Master
    Back when I could see, I liked the Sourdough front sight. If you can't find one, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a reasonable copy.

Boyd's used to sell a stock called RIA, I put one on a M1917 and liked it.

Robert

Castalot;

I've worked over a few Mausers and always stuck with receiver sights. My favorite front is the Lyman 17A.

What you do is take it to a shop and have the issue base machined down far enough to eliminate the issue dove tail, have a regular 3/8s dove cut into the old base and you're done.

Good evening, Forrest

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Go to "Gunsmithing", look for my sticky "Joni Lynn's Mauser" for a fairly decent look at things you may want to do.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

which I'm sure involves making the 308 feed in the mauser action.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Go to "Gunsmithing", look for my sticky "Joni Lynn's Mauser" for a fairly decent look at things you may want to do.

Do this

Some stuff like the gauges and chamber reamers can be rented fairly cheaply. I'm starting on another M98 project...if I can figure out which caliber I want.
    A deplorable that votes!

Please don't use an actual bolt for a bolt handle. I saw one the other day and just shook my head. The good folks on this site will help you. Unbubbafying Mausers is a noble quest. Best, Thomas.

A lot can be done with a '98, here's two I did.

Both .30/06, this one I barreled with #5 Shilen barrel left at 26" long, Timmeny trigger, sporter trigger guard with magazine release, Buris 3-9X Signature scope. In the summer it serves well as a groundhog rifle and can be used for deer, but it's a bit heavy. It's also my favorite castboolit rifle.

This one a light sporter with a 24" barrel and Buris 3-9 Fullfield scope. The stock is a "Warsaw Sporter" from Midway USA.