Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Anyone here using custom barrrel IE lilja, douglas, ect for cast loads?

Boolit Bub

Anyone here using custom barrrel IE lilja, douglas, ect for cast loads?

Hi, I am relatively new to cast boolits for rifle use. I load for 06 and 30 30 with good success so far! (thanks to this website!!!) I have a custom 222 Rem Mag with trued action and 3 grove Lilja benchrest barrel. I can shoot one hole groups at 100 yards with the J word bullets.
    Anyone out there have cast boolit experience with 06, 30 30 ect with custom barrel and trued action?
    I am considering building either an 06 or 308 and wanted some thoughts using cast boolits in a custom rifle...
    Thank you all for your input

Boolit Master
    I have a Lilja for a 3-gun AR-15 im building. I'll probably try some cast in it at some point out of curiosity but have yet to put round 1 through it, still building the rifle but im very impressed with the fit & finish on this barrel. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if it shoots like others report.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I own a Remington 700 25-06 with a 26" Hart barrel. It shoots the NOE 258-120-fp into very small groups using IMR 4227 and isn't picky about the charge 13gr shoots about as good as 20gr. Gp

Banned

308 savage Target action with Rock Creek 5r and a Savage M10 308 with a Shilen select match.

Boolit Grand Master

My BPCR rifles have everal diffrent makers barrels on thm. The C Sharps Hepburn in 45-90 has a Green Mountain 1-18 twist and loves 500-550 grn bullets. The CPA Shilouette in 40-65 has a douglas 1-16 twist on it and loves 400-425 grn bullets. The CSharps High wall in 38-55 is a 38-55 with a McGowen 1-12 twist barrel on it and does really well with 335-365grn bullets. More important than barrel mker is getting the right groove bore dia and twist rate in the blank.Kriegers is making a Alexander Henery rifling form that should do well with cast bullets.

My 35 Whelen AI has a Douglas barrel on it, and it shoots into 1 hole with the NOE 360-310 Thumper. It is a Match Grade "2nd" with a taper to the bore. Tight end at the muzzle and it shoots amazing with cast. Never had a copper bullet in it.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    My most accurate cast bullet rifle is a Savage short action with Shilen match barrel, custom trigger(I forget the make), in .30 Br. I have BP guns with barrels from most makers, Douglas, Green Mountain, Badger, with the Badger being most accurate.

Banned
    i'm using a tc encore with a 444 marlin that uses a MGM barrel(green mountain, i think). MGM chambers and does rifling, while GM supplies them.

Boolit Master
    I won a certificate for a Shilen barrel so I put it on the CPA 44-1/2. Went with .25-20 WCF, 1:9" twist, breech seat chamber. So far I am not impressed. Inch and a half groups at 100 yards are not going to cut it in quarter bore.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Let's see, I have two McGowan .358 barrels that shoot .5 inches at 100 in ARs with powder coated 200 RCBS bullets one is a 20 inch twist and the other is a 12 twist. Then I have a .308 Shaw barrel in a 7.62x39 AR with a 10 twist that I shoot 150 gr PCed RCBS bullet in and a 10 or 8 twist Shaw 300 BO that I shoot 230gr PC bullets in. The 308 s are both about .5 inches at 50 and used as sub sonic guns with cans for night shooting of hogs.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Banned

you could just buy a Bergara rifle for 800 bucks and save yourself some money and effort.
    my 30-06 hunting rifle by them will shoot as well as if not better than my Armalite made AR-30 in 308.
    it also weighs about 40 lbs. less.
    it also shoots as well as my Douglas 1-14 twist in 300XCB