WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Sizing first time

Boolit Buddy

Sizing first time

So I dropped these from a Lyman 2-Cavity Bullet Mold #311359 30 Carbine, 7.62x39mm (309-312 Diameter) 115 Grain Pointed Tip Gas Check mold.

They came out at .3115 to .312

So after a little look at how they appear to profile in 7.62x39 vs my 30 carbine i figured these were better suited for my 30 carbine. I'll get the heavier weight mold for my 7.62x39.

So I ordered some lee sizers and got the .308 for this one. I noticed sizing them down it's making them .3075 but more so I see its killing the lube bands.

Is this normal?

Left is as cast right is post sizing.

By the way for now I plan to simply try the lee lube since I now have 3 bottles of it with my three sizers i got. Later I may look at trying PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

With the tumble lubes and PC the grooves dont matter as much. ANother thing is to slug the barrels on your firearms and see what they are you may want to hone / lap the .308 die out to 309 or slightly bigger to get to .001 over groove dia.

Boolit Master
    It looks like you are displacing enough lead to cancel the gas check groove, I'd try to lube and shoot "as cast".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    It looks like you are displacing enough lead to cancel the gas check groove, I'd try to lube and shoot "as cast".
    So what if my 30 carbine measures i.308 diameter but as cast is .3115-.312?

Newbie but I thought I read the target is. .01 over

Boolit Master
    As long as the loaded round will chamber, you should be good to go.....I've shot many cast boolits with dia.s .004 over.

Boolit Master
    tried those boolits in the sks poor accuracy

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    tried those boolits in the sks poor accuracy
    Yea that's why I think these will be my .30 carbine. What mold did you find that worked well for the SKS or I also have a vz2008 and of course at some point want to pick up an ak47. Still undecided what to get there...know I want an underfolder and know I want something likely to be desirable down the road when 20-30 yes it's time to liquidate my collection to aficionados

Filling the lube groove with lube first will prevent the lube grooves from collapsing when sizing down that far. Pan lube or finger lube first.

The Lee 312-155-2R works well for the 7.62x39. I'd try that one first.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391626074138...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Grand Master

The sizing dies mainly used today don't remove any lead, just moves it and it has to go somewhere. Normally swaged lead travels down the bullet either ending up in the grooves or as flash on the base, when nose first sizing is done. The more the bullet is sized down, the more lead is moved, not removed. You can pre size lube to help preserve the lube grooves or tumble lube (or dip lube)after sizing. Give them both a try. I use 45-45-10 as a dip lube on a couple of my rifle rounds; 160 gr for my 30-30 and 265 gr. for my .44 Mag rifle...

You mentioned your "target" was .01 over groove diameter. Zeros do mean something, so I'm hoping you meant one thousandth (.001") rather than the .01" you mentioned (one hundredth). I would slug the bore of the gun and size my bullets .002" over that measurement to start, but making sure the cartridge will chamber...
    Last edited by mdi; 11-30-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!