Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone use an Air Fryer?

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone use an Air Fryer?

LOML asked me if I had ever considered one. I asked her what it was?!! Just looked them up and they look interesting, especially for a type II diabetic, controlled by diet and exercise. Controlling fat is part of it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Wayne--in past years we had two of them. They worked great while they worked, and the food wasn't bad, but durability wasn't their best point and both broke after a couple of months. Maybe they make them better now.

Are you talking about an Air Cooker - convection type oven?
    I have 2 of this type
    one large and one small I use for cooking - one given to me and one purchased at 2nd hand store.

And for powder coating I have one of these, also purchased at second hand store.

All work well for me and no problems with any of them.

I keep one on the counter - small one with glass bowl and lid power unit with Halogen light
    as well as heating element and fan. Great for doing a lot of foods.

I got one for exclusive PC boolit use and retired my toaster oven that I had previously used.
    It's nice that all I have to do is stand up the boolits then lower the oven over the top and turn it on.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I just found out this past june Im also a type II Diabetic and im contolling mine by diet and exercise. I would also be interested in more info about these units. When you have limits on different type foods and the way you have to prep >>>>It sure is a new ball game.

je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Check out Indian Cuisine for lots of Diabetic friendly meals -
    We found that Buckwheat pancakes don't spike my wife's meter readings
    unlike Bisquick - also Magnesium supplements seem to be helping as well
    to lower her A1C. We also tend to do two 30 min walks a day (morning and after dinner)
    which also seem to be helping.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Grand Master

I was looking at the GoWISE GW22621 4th gen. It isn't huge, and since there is only the two of us that is a positive, and appears to have the variety of controls that the others don't. This is with just an hour's worth of research on the internet.

I push the exercise four days a week, and keep very active the rest of the time. I will do 8+ miles on the exercise bike with an up and down hill program, or use the weight machine for a relatively intense workout. I believe, but cannot prove, that with weight loss this level of exercise encourages the beta cells to make insulin again. When I am at work I sit on my butt all day, when I am home I am almost constantly moving.

It is not so much that there are things we can't eat, although we have given up on pizza ): - as it is that we have to limit how much of the good stuff we allow ourselves. I have learned that intense flavor helps me eat less, I don't want as much of the strongly flavored stuff. We have about given up on fried foods - because of the added calories. I'm wondering if this is a way to add those flavors back into our palette.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Last edited by Artful; 11-28-2016 at 11:46 PM.
    je suis charlie

I'm not familar with GoWISE GW22621 Gen 4 but I looked at Phillips which superficially is the same design
    and I wasn't impressed - in my small one I'm able to do half a chicken - in my large one a whole chicken
    I also have several racks that stack so if I'm doing flatter things I can do 3 layers at a time (make sure to leave room between for air circulation). One other feature is you can put soap and water in it gets dirty and turn it to "wash" and walk away - then half an hour later you take off the lid (which requires damp cloth cleaning) and then with your silicone glove dump out the hot soapy water and rinse with clean water and your done.
    je suis charlie

Vendor Sponsor

I use an air fryer, on top of a stripped popcorn popper, to roast coffee beans! Works GREAT!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I have found the same as in your post that exercise and diet are both big key players in the diabetic world. I started eating healthy and exercise ( Per the doc's orders) and have lost 35 pounds and pulled my levels down to normal. I will be checking these units out a little more.

Boolit Man
    LOL, i have one too , also bought at the second hand shop , but with a 3 inch metal extension , i think turkey.

Found out that chicken works like a charm, any part of it , btw its an infra red cooker.

Hans

Boolit Man
    And in reply to the thread starter yes we have an air friyer too.Over here it is said it is so healthy , no fat or oil is needed.
    In relation to make french fries it simply does not work that way .i think its called deep frying, just cooking in oil at 16 to 200 degrees celcius
    The heat source is very hot air in this machine,not the same as oil.
    so to make french fries use the ones which are sold to make in an oven,at the factory they are pre baked in oil, that works , the other ,cheaper ones are pre cooked with air , no oil in the factory.
    At least over here.
    they do not taste at all just heated potato stuff.

Found out that chicken wings and chicken drum sticks works every time, 20 minutes and ready, check or add a minute for colour or burn.

Bon appetite, btw as a diabetic this doesn't help
    healthier fat wise ? , yep big yes, overweight and diabetic , yep big time

grtz , Hans

Dutchie - I think I got some of the precooked in air once - I just layed them out and gave a misting of my non-stick cooking spray - and while I was at it I salted then air cooked 'em
    je suis charlie

Boolit Man
    Did that too ,artful, still it did not taste the same as deep frying, and btw above i made an error in temp , should be 160-190 max degrees celcius for potato or french fries.

and when i made or tried to make fries from a real potato , it took very long , and it tasted to nothing.

Hans.