RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about the Weatherby Vangard?

What about the Weatherby Vangard?

I have an interest in a local listing for a Weatherby Vangard in 30-06 for a good price. Never owned a Weatherby before but the reputation is there. I've been all over the web reading reviews and it seems hard to find any one not happy with theirs, and the folks that did give poor reviews were simply nit-pickin in my opinion. Any body care to take a shot at talking me out of it? Loves me some 06, I do.

Banned

I love them. Go for it.

In Remembrance

I have one in .223 and LOVE it. With the right ammo it will shoot sub MOA all day. It really likes the Game King bullets and a full case of Varget. 1/4" to 3/8 " at one hundred. Groundhogs don't like it! LOL
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Bub
    Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500, Smith&Wesson/Mossberg 1500 are all made by Howa.

Never heard anyone say anything bad about any of them.

I've had the 1500's in 300 win Mag, 338 win mag, 270 win, always been more than happy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was never dissatisfied with any of the Vanguards I had over the years.

Robert

Boolit Master

I had the good fortune to hunt African plains game a few years ago. I took my Weatherby Mk V in 300 WBY Mag. It got misplaced and did not arrive with me for a couple of days. Meanwhile my first couple of days hunting was using my guide's Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06. It was wearing a nice Zeiss scope. My first full day of hunting (too much rain the first day) brought me upon a very nice Kudu bull at about 350 yards. Up to that point I had not even touched the Vanguard rifle, let alone shot it. The guide handed me his beautiful rifle and just said "hold on his shoulder". At the shot the big bull fell on the spot. Needless to say I was elated. I did well later on with my Mark V, but I just had to have my own Vanguard in 30-06. They are fine, accurate rifles and are right at home on the hunting fields of the world, even the Dark Continent.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    I bought a stainless one in 223 last spring and put a Leupold 3-9x scope on it. Got it somewhat sighted in and handed it over to my daughter. With cheap factory FMJ's she proceeded to shoot a 1"group at 100 yards. Needless to say I am very happy with this rifle and I am hoping that Santa can find one in 308 to be sitting under the Christmas tree for me this year.

I have the Howa 1500 in S/S and 308 in a Hogue overmoulded stock. Had the trigger lightened to 1lb.

It shoots great and I have no regrets getting it.

Boolit Buddy
    Both my Howa rifles shoot excellent. The triggers are easy to adjust also in my opinion. They are solid rifles made in Japan still I believe.

Boolit Master

Have one in .270, and it's a fine rifle. It is a bit heavier than my Rem 700 in .308, but I think it's the stock, the .308 has a black hollow stock while the .270 "feels" thicker/heavier.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    They are a bargin for what they are. In my opinion no one comes close to the quality at the price sold.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Banned

True story:

I guy I went to high school with bought a new MK V Deluxe in .300 Weatherby, and I bought a Vanguard Deluxe (from Wal-Mart) at the same time. We were sighting them in at my house, and my gun shot .750" groups at 100 yards, and his 1.5" with the same factory ammo. We both shot both guns. The accuracy guarantee was 1.5" on Vanguards at the time, and they came with a test target.

He is a pretty proud type individual, if you get my drift. He got rid of that Deluxe as fast as he could. It was a beautiful gun. I would have tried to get it to shoot better myself.

I want one of the new Vanguards, and in 30-'06, myself!

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I bought a vanguard with the tan and black spider wed stock from wally world. Great shooter and smooth action. Metal parts have a nice finish. I keep telling myself that one day I will get a Boyds wood stock for it.

Boolit Master
    All Vangards usually shot well. I have a 243 it shots better than me most of the time.
    As another said Howa in Japan make the Vangards.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a .223 for several years. Very accurate with just about any 45-55 grain factory loads. Federal American Eagle 50 gr. flat base rounds probably shoot the best in my gun. Winchester white box 45 gr. hp's out of the 24" bbl. are wicked devastating on groundhogs.

Isaac

Boolit Master
    Since I have been a member here, no one has ever talked anyone out of buying a new gun. Go for it. Weatherby doesn't put their name on a bad gun.

I've shot a few but never owned one. They all shot well. Howa gives up nothing to anyone for quality. The Weatherby version has a better adjustable trigger than the stock Howa. The new mini action looks like a winner too- maybe a wood stock in the future?

In Remembrance

When I got my Howa Vanguard in .300 Weatherby it had a heavy trigger and an all weather stock. Fast forward 20 years and it now has a Timney trigger adjusted to 2 3/4 lbs. and wears a AA grade checkered walnut stock and wears a 3x9 Leupold scope. I just couldn`t get the factory trigger to ease up enough. To say this rifle is accurate in its bedded stock is like saying birds can fly.Robert

Banned

like robert said there triggers leave a lot to be desired especially the older ones. Ive had some great shooting vanguards including an 06 and a 300wby and had some turds, a 243 and a 257wby and ive had some decent ones in between those 4. Best one was that 300wby. Wish I had it back. Id say accuracy compares to a rem, win, sav. no better no worse

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    like robert said there triggers leave a lot to be desired especially the older ones. Ive had some great shooting vanguards including an 06 and a 300wby and had some turds, a 243 and a 257wby and ive had some decent ones in between those 4. Best one was that 300wby. Wish I had it back. Id say accuracy compares to a rem, win, sav. no better no worse
    According to my recent reading, Weatherby improved the trigger issue in 2012 by going to a redesigned two stage set up. Being sold as the 'Vangard 2' Reviews of the new trigger have been positive in all. More info;
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/long-gu...thetic-review/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast