Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Savage/Mossberg barrel swap

Boolit Master

Savage/Mossberg barrel swap

So, I seem to remember back in the day that Savage 110 barrels could be swapped to change caliber. Now that Mossberg has adopted the same kind of setup that has got my interest again.

Questions.

1. Is barrel removal/reinstallation a 'simple' process, as in unscrew the locknut and then removing the barrel or is an action and barrel block needed as in other bolt guns?

2. Can you reinstall a barrel that has been previously headspaced by use ot witness marks on barrel and receiver or do you need to headspace each time.

3. If headspacing each time how do you realign things like front sights?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I searched a lot but could not find the answers.

And, yes, I had a Contender for many years and liked being able to change calibers. I did not like the break open, single shot action.

Boolit Master
    The barrel in my MVP is not coming out very easy. It does not have the simple jam nut set up of a savage. Its threaded in like a Remington etc. BUT they didnt just thread it in and thats it. No theres a hole on the underside crimping, maybe even welding the barrel so it wont move.

I don't know how the Mossberg rifles are threaded. Tackleberry41 may be right. The Savage 110/111 and short actions do have a barrel nut. It helps in headspacing. I bought a used barrel off Evilbay and put it on a 110 action. Headspaced it with a rifle case. Worked fine. I would stick with Savage rifles. I owned a Mossturd ATR 100 and was not impressed.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Thanks folks.

Boolit Grand Master

A used barrel with sights could be a problem if it does not headspace on your receiver. I do have an old 110 and changed the barrel recently and have been thinking of getting anther in a different caliber. If I do this I will buy another barrel nut and lightly tack weld them on the bottom so they stay in place. Then it just a matter of turning the barrel in until the nut is tight, or torqued.

Boolit Buddy
    To answer your questions.

1. Yes you will want to use a barrel wrench and nut wrench to keep from marring the surfaces. I forgot what mine cost but well worth it. Once you join the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut" and start swapping barrels it gets addictive.

2. You need to headspace each time.

3. Doubtful your sights will line up perfectly but you may get lucky. Just buy barrels without sights.

It's not hard to change barrels. As long as the case head is the same diameter your bolt will work. If you need the change the bolt head that is an easy, cheap job on a savage also.

Good luck....Floyd

Boolit Master
    lol "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut" i like that

You can do it with any rifle, finding the barrels is another challenge - for every post 64 winchester takeoff barrel I find, I see more like 10 Remington 700's.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    LOL, yep. Many years ago I was on one of the custom builder's sites. He had a stack of M700 Rem barrels in 06 and 7mm Mag from actions that he had rebarreled to something else. I picked up 3 of each for $50.

Boolit Buddy

I have a 111 w/ the side push button mag release, I was hoping to find a 110 but this one will do.

I just oust picked up a ER Shaw 338-06 barrel kit from Brownells for $199 plus shipping and just waiting for some time to start this project. The kit came with wrench, go/no go gauges, lubricant and cleaner.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"