RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: granite reloading desktop?

Boolit Buddy

granite reloading desktop?

Hi guys, just wondering I got some granite parts and corian pieces from the house we are building and thinking of making a new bench for my presses to ditch this old computer desk. I have some pieces and wondering if I can make something out of them.

Is there anything bad about granite? I know its porous but can I seal it with a poly or something? Would it withstand the force and not crack? Looking to make it maybe 2'x1' or something.

Boolit Grand Master

I would be leary of granite for any leverage induced stresses. Its solid and stable but does crack and chip if not supported correctly. It can be worked with carbide tools. It can be finished to a very flat surface and used for gaging off of also. Maybe insert it along side the press for a measuring surface. The corian should be good to go and is easy to work with and cut drill and Tap. I have seen some handgun grips made from corian that were very nice also. Corian if thick enough would make some very nice loading blocks also.

Boolit Master
    the torque produced by the press will crack it.

Boolit Master

I would bet that in time it would stress crack. A press puts more stress on a bench top than you might think. I have never tried to gage how much stress measured in foot pounds but then I am not a structural engineer. It would make a nice looking bench top though.

Boolit Buddy
    OK guys thanks, message loud and clear

Boolit Master
    may I suggest you find a solid wood core door, not a hollow core but a solid fire rated door and glue on a piece of formica. I have 3 reloading benches made like this. good sturdy and the top can be washed too. inch and a half thick with a 2x4 frame to attack the legs to.

Boolit Master
    Maybe put the corian over the top of some subfloor plywood? That stuff can be over an inch thick (the subfloor) and seems like it would work nicely.

Boolit Master
    You can design doublers that would permit the use of a press. But the hard surface is not good for placing tools while you are working. I would not want to use it without a plastic or rubber pad on top. If you put a cushion on top of the granite you might as well use Formica on top of plywood.
    EDG

Vendor Sponsor

And if not perfectly level cases and such tend to roll away
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    ive been working on a cheap walmart computer desk for years, theyve rolled all over the place so im used to it heheheh

In Remembrance

When I bought this place over 35 years back the seller left 2 solid core wood doors from an old hospital he had worked at. Those are heavy doors! Doubt they are lead lined, just heavy. Only have used 1 of them for a bench, it didn`t move in any direction!Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think I'd like the smooth, slick, hard surface. Small parts would roll around freely, and be harder to pick up (ever try to pick up a gascheck when the open side is down?). Not sure about the brittleness and cracking, but I prefer bare unpainted wood for my benchtop...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Is there anything bad about granite?
    You would have a ***** of a time drilling holes in it to secure your press's
    Regards
    John

Banned

My favorite method for building a bench top with new wood is to use 2x6, 8, 10, whatever underneath. Drill holes through the 2xs on an even spacing, then put 3/4" plywood on top and screw it to the 2xs from the underside.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    My favorite method for building a bench top with new wood is to use 2x6, 8, 10, whatever underneath. Drill holes through the 2xs on an even spacing, then put 3/4" plywood on top and screw it to the 2xs from the underside.
    The table top I'm currently using was recycled from a loft bed I build 20+ years ago. It was made from 2x8s and dowels were added to give it a bit more support than just clamping and gluing. I didn't have a table saw back then. If I was doing it today, I would use my table saw to cut a tongue and groove along the length of the boards for attaching them together. Making the top out of 2x lumber will give you 1.5" of thickness for the table top and that is plenty of support for reloading.

I would probably not use granite for a top on a reloading table, but I have cabinets that had a granite top on them for casting. When casting, you're only concerned with it being able to support a weight in compression and it being heat resistant. Granite meets those requirements.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I don't think I'd like the smooth, slick, hard surface. Small parts would roll around freely, and be harder to pick up (ever try to pick up a gascheck when the open side is down?). Not sure about the brittleness and cracking, but I prefer bare unpainted wood for my benchtop...
    Also, depending upon the pattern of the granite, finding small parts could be a pain.

As you can see from the following photo, this particular pattern granite could really suck if you were trying to find a small part that was on it:

Wood for me. A sturdy frame with 2x12's top, and plywood on top of that. I screw the plywood down from the top so I can replace it quick and easy when it gets funky.

Boolit Bub
    large metal desk that were used in military/prison/schools. They very strong and heavy.

Boolit Master

NavyVet1959, I had not really thought about the problem of small parts hiding in the mottled color of the granite. But after a little thought, I can just imagine trying to find a small trigger pen or other real small part on the surface of a black/white marbled granite top. Where's the Tylenol? james

Boolit Master
    I use a 12" x 12" x 1" piece of granite to set my reloading scales on to help keep the vibration down and it is on a shelf not on my loading bench.

Agree with the other post, I don't think granite would make a good reloading bench top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast