Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 22 Long Rifle Mold

Banned
    @Marshall
    I know what you mean about the last bit of case getting stuck. It is very common and very annoying. I did make a resizing die that would size all way down that fixed most of that problem. It seems that some of the cases were getting stuck by the head also. Some had expanded heads that made it hard to close the last bit of the bolt and would not fully seat in a semi-auto. There are some commercially available dies that just might be the ticket for this problem. If I wasn't so poor I would get one myself. Several guys make them and some are sold on eBay. These are made for resizing the bullet while in the case but I figured that they would resize the case also if it was too big. I could be wrong. And maybe none of these will work. I have more experimenting to do to figure out exactly what is causing what we are talking about. I have also found that some of my bullets were too fat at the ogive causing me to have to crush them into the chamber with bolt pressure. But indeed there are several factors involved. Sorry about the poor structure of this post ...in a hurry can't edit. Here are some linksthere was another brand on eBay a few months ago. Can't find it now. But the picture showed a die that went all the way down to and around part of the head.)
    http://www.gunblast.com/Paco2.htm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inEmsBcAwho
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Long-Rifl...4AAOSw3ydVwMJt

Boolit Master
    On the Sharpshooter Die.
    I pull the inside sizer pin out.
    Pound the case into the die once the case has been run thru the resizer in the press on the shell holder, then pound the case out with a wodden dowel.
    If lubed, then it doesnt screw up the rim.
    But it takes that last little buldge out.
    Dont pound it into the die too much or with a lot of force.
    Sort of like the Wack a Mole Lee dies
    Also, check how much the die is sizing the casing.
    I had to polish my die out a bit to get it to resize to the proper diameter.

Banned
    @LAGS
    Is that the mold/die from sharpshooter or the separate sizing die from sharpshooter?

Boolit Master
    That is the Sizing Die from sharpshooter.
    Or you can make your own case sizer by drilling the right sized hole in a piece of 1/2" thick steel plate.
    We didnt always have the Fancy tools that we have today.
    Make do with what you have, your Budget will allow, and that fits your needs.
    Just Think outside the box.

Banned
    As soon as I get one that is worth sending out I will send you one. I haven't been focusing on the case part of reloading for a while though because I have Eley primed cases and I have been working on the swaging dies for the bullets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    @Traffer,

Once you get your bullet swaging/sizing dies tuned in, would you care to make any of them for your "friends"? In the same way that you are not a chemist, I am not a machinist (nor do I play one one TV)

By-the-way, I have used the die set from 22lrreloader.com to resize fired/cleaned 22LR cases. It works pretty well, but does not resize all the way down to the rim. I have found that many cases have a slight bulge close to the rim that makes it hard to insert the case into the shellholder and/or makes it hard to chamber the finished round. A different die design that resizes all the way to the rim would be very helpful.

Marshall

Boolit Master
    Since I am new to this 22 reloading.
    May I ask where I can get Primed 22LR cases that you all talk about.
    The priming compound or the other Re-priming methods work great, but I would like to step up my game.
    I got the 22LR kit so I could figure out ways to reload 32 and .38 Rim fires

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    There are no primed empty cases for sale anymore. I called several commercial reloaders to buy their cases - No, legal liability. I even called Aqula and was told if I put an order in for 500,000 primed empty cases - they would be sell them to me. That would come to about $10,000
    Regards
    John

Banned
    I dream about reloading 32 and 38 rimfire. Maybe even 44. Keep learning. I will help as much as I can. As far as primed cases, I got some that were from the early 80's from a guy. He has none left. That is about the only way to get them is to get real lucky and find someone who has some stashed away. He had them in sealed plastic bags. Even if you were to find some, the laws now make it almost impossible to ship them. That is probably why the manufacturers won't make them anymore. Maybe Trump will change the laws and they will start to sell them again. That is something to pray about. Do you have an old rim fire 32 or 38? I would like to get my hands on one before everyone converts them to center fire.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Since I am new to this 22 reloading.
    The priming compound or the other Re-priming methods work great, but I would like to step up my game.
    I got the 22LR kit so I could figure out ways to reload 32 and .38 Rim fires

Boolit Master
    I have a .32RF Leader Revolver, and Two .38 RF Prescott Revolvers from 1872.
    The Prescotts are in Bad shape and I am remaking all the internal parts to get them to function.
    But the one I bought for parts to fix the other because the barrell is so bad, I will put in a liner in the barrel and cylinder liners to convert it to 22 LR or .32 S&W.

Banned
    Is it possible to get brass for them? If you could get brass the rest can be done.

I have a .32RF Leader Revolver, and Two .38 RF Prescott Revolvers from 1872.
    The Prescotts are in Bad shape and I am remaking all the internal parts to get them to function.
    But the one I bought for parts to fix the other because the barrell is so bad, I will put in a liner in the barrel and cylinder liners to convert it to 22 LR or .32 S&W.

Boolit Master
    I have one Box of Navy Arms 32 RF long for the Leader.
    I paid $45 for it 20 years ago.
    Saw some on Gun Broker going for $130 recently.
    No luck on the .38 RF.
    But the Prescott may end up just a wall hanger, and I will shoot the other in the Re Chambered Caliber.
    I love to save these old guns from the scrap pile.
    I may not be able to Restore them, but I can get most firing again in one form or caliber.
    Like I say, I am not a Gunsmith, but more of a Firearms Recycler.

Banned
    Wow. time to learn how to make cases.

I have one Box of Navy Arms 32 RF long for the Leader.
    I paid $45 for it 20 years ago.
    Saw some on Gun Broker going for $130 recently.
    No luck on the .38 RF.
    But the Prescott may end up just a wall hanger, and I will shoot the other in the Re Chambered Caliber.
    I love to save these old guns from the scrap pile.
    I may not be able to Restore them, but I can get most firing again in one form or caliber.
    Like I say, I am not a Gunsmith, but more of a Firearms Recycler.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    There are no primed empty cases for sale anymore. I called several commercial reloaders to buy their cases - No, legal liability. I even called Aqula and was told if I put an order in for 500,000 primed empty cases - they would be sell them to me. That would come to about $10,000
    Was this recently? 10K is not that much spread out over a bunch of people, I would pop for $500+ of that to secure a load of these. That's 25,000 which I expect would be a lifetime supply. You think they would actually do this?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Just powder coated a small test batch of 22lr bullets that I had dimensioned to compensate for the powder coat. My powder coating setup is in my sisters garage (not heated) It was 0 degrees Fahrenheit when I started. The toaster oven had a hard time getting up to 400 degrees lol. After powder coating they came out at .46" oal (not that critical) With ,2245" to .225" diameter. And all the heals that I measured came out at .2085". My calculations came out perfect. I can either load them as is or re-size them in another swaging die that I am in the process of making so they come out like glass. Otherwise I will size the entire bullet after loading them, giving only the bearing surface the nice glassy finish. I made a .032" wire holder in the punch out punch so that I can embed a short piece of wire in the nose. I made a little holder to hold them in the oven.
    Here are some pictures:
    Attachment 182747Attachment 182748Attachment 182749
    What does the powder coat do? Also, are you starting with a 40g bullet then drilling and swaging everything down? I read and reread the description but I'm fuzzy on the steps. I really need some lightweight bullets, but don't want to pop for dies just yet as I don't have the best shape and size worked out. BTW these are very nice, I'm jealous...

Banned
    There would still be no way to disperse them. They have to be sent by a special hazmat shipper every where they go. That adds so much expense to the cost that it would erase the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu-NC View Post
    Was this recently? 10K is not that much spread out over a bunch of people, I would pop for $500+ of that to secure a load of these. That's 25,000 which I expect would be a lifetime supply. You think they would actually do this?

Banned
    Powder coating erases the need to lube the bullet. It erases the need to make little cuts or holes around the bullet to hold the lube. Powder coating allows the bullets to slide through the barrel easier. They will potentially allow the use of larger diameter bullets. I haven't gotten to the point of producing match grade ammo yet but powder coating should allow the creation of the most accurate bullet available.
    The ones that I am producing are a little under 40 grains. Probably about 37 - 38 grains. I haven't been weighing them. But I can change my set up to make them bigger or smaller if I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu-NC View Post

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    There would still be no way to disperse them. They have to be sent by a special hazmat shipper every where they go. That adds so much expense to the cost that it would erase the deal.
    Primed cases do not require hazmat shipping.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...e-law.3812580/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-25-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Banned
    I called fedex several times and emailed them. One of their authorities called back and informed me that primed rim fire cases had to be shipped by a hazmat shipper. The price was so high for my concerns I didn't even bother to remember what it was. It may be that rim fire is in a different category center fire or the rules have changed again. But that is what I was told only a few months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Primed cases do not require hazmat shipping.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...e-law.3812580/

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    * The cases were purchased early in 2011
    * If the offer is still open,a telephone call to verify could be made, then someone would have to honcho the sale of them and they would be in 5000 cases per box... https://www.aguilaammo.com/contact
    Regards
    John

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234