Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need an inexpensive springer

Boolit Buddy

Need an inexpensive springer

What inexpensive springer under $150.00 has the best trigger. Neighbor has a Gamo he paid a little over $100 for and was satisfactory to my needs. however, the trigger was not very good. Which one in my price range would have the best trigger. The caliber would not matter. 22 or 17 would work.

In Remembrance

I bought the Ruger elite. It has an adjustable trigger and shoots the .177 pellets hard enought to pass completely through a tree rat at 25 yards. Works for me. YMMV
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    I haven't found a cheapo airgun with anywhere near a decent trigger, in addition the action of the spring throws groups all over the place.

Secret to a springer is learning to hold it consistently. Try holding it with an open hand just in front of the trigger guard.

I think I paid 20$ each for a Chinese B4 under lever. Trigger is not great but it is not terrible, not even bad. It is noisy but not compared to a .22lr. Mostly Zing, Whang bang pop. Not as accurate as my Sheridan Blue streak but not bad.

Boolit Master
    A friend brought over a Chinese side lever springer years ago, when these first started showing up at dirt cheap prices. The rifle belonged to his neighbor, and it stopped working a dew days after he got it.

Not sure but I think it was a .22.
    Anyway I found the screw holding the leather piston cup to the piston had broken off. Examining the cylinder I found it had huge gouges and furrows that were apparently present before it was reamed out, ant the reamer must have been chipped and dull.
    I did what I could with it, honing the cylinder with sand paper and dowel and a brake cylinder hone. Still ugly inside but after repairing the piston it did fire with plenty of power. The leather cup was no doubt more forgiving than a synthetic cup would be, but I doubt it lasted much longer.
    While shooting the rifle I found it fairly accurate despite the barrel being badly warped. Examining the bore I found it straight as an arrow despite the huge bow in the exterior. No doubt straightened after boring and turning.

The design of the rifle was excellent, most likely a knockoff of a European air rifle, and except for the defects I mentioned the rest of the rifle appeared fairly well made and nicely finished. The blond wooden stock reminded me of an SKS stock.

I was looking over reviews for a recent manufacture multi-pump air rifle that sold for exactly $150. All who bought it said it shot great for about 20-25 shots then began to self evacuate the cylinder when more than three pumps were made.
    That was a real disappointment since chrono tests showed it was hitting close to 900 FPS in .22 with only 8 pumps.
    The rifle was a beauty and apparently a knock off of a very expensive European rifle.
    Apparently these have been recalled, if they fix whatever is wrong with them I may still buy one.

The Chinese under lever rifles do have a following, and years ago I ran across the site of an airgunsmith who customized these at reasonable prices, blue printing everything, honing cylinders and replacing springs with higher quality springs. His customers wrote glowing reviews of the end product.

Boolit Master

The best deal at the moment is the Walther Terrus at Airguns of Arizona. It's a German made springer for $149. http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    Prolly the best gun for the money is the RWS 34 (Diana), german made, adj. trigger, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    The Hatsan quatro trigger is really good for the money. Make sure it is the quatro trigger as their other version (seen on Striker and some other models) is nasty.Hatsan make rifles for Webley and most of their models are essentially the same (but cheaper). Their quality control isn't great so strip, deburr and relube if you buy one.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    If you haven't already done so, try craigslist.com, backpage.com or your local pawn shops. They sometimes have higher quality air guns on the rack at very good prices; that is, if you don't mind buying a good used air rifle.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Here's one place I would look.
    https://www.airgunproshop.com/shop/r...dge-vortex-22/

Ebner

Boolit Master

Crosman nitro series they make quite a few. Gas Ram is easier to shoot than a Springer.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    The gas ram is no different to shoot than a springer. The problem is the forward recoil of the piston stoping.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh sure thanks...a walther terrus for $149. Now I need to order one been wanting one. if your looking for a great rifle this would be it. Of course your have shipping but you'd be happy. some are saying this is the first to come along to compete with the rws mod 34 as the suggested first airgun. You won't go wrong with either. Plus you'd have a great German gun not a Chinese one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an RWS 34 and it is a good gun but double the price the he is looking for.

Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

I have a Mike Melick/Flying Dragon tuned XS-46U .22 cal underlever springer that is a really good shooter. Mike is one of the best professional airgun tuners out there, and he personally went over this one. I think the full tuned price was $225 when I got it new, but I would sell it with a really nice BSA 3x12x44 scope on a compensated UTG picatinny base for $200 + UPS shipping.

This is a good bargain, the scope was $120 by itself, the rings and compensated base another $30 something, fair to say you are getting roughly $400 worth of airgun and optics for $200. It has a decent trigger, springers by nature have a LOT of weight resting against the sear so you can only get but so good of a trigger on it. I have taken a lot of squirrels and rabbits with it, a few coons fell to it as well.

Mike has a new high performance spring that they recommend for this model in lieu of the gas ram conversion, it is smoother and works better than a gas ram. You could buy this rifle and send it to Mike for the upgraded spring or just shoot it as is.

Here is the rifle with the compensated base and a compact UTG scope, I will not be selling this scope but I don't think I have a photo of the rifle with the BSA scope on it. If I can find one I will edit this post..

Scope:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BSA_3_12x44_Rifle_Scope_Duplex_Reticle_1_4_MOA_1_T ube/959

Last edited by DougGuy; 12-08-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I disagree gard I don't have to use the artillery hold at all with my Nitro venom. It shoots accurately.. back to the OP's question lots of folks on the air gun groups on fb like the Hatsan Edge.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0159.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	182331

Boolit Master
    for the price range if you cant find one with a good trigger go poke around on the air gun forums always a few DIY trigger jobs
    if your looking for a fun little target gun the reconditioned daisy 853 single pump are a good deal for 130$ shipped to your door. Accurate with in the price range and the trigger can be worked over ot be pretty good.... for what it is.

Boolit Master
    I just got into the New Airguns as my old Crossman ( plastic) 886 literally fell apart in my hands!! Ordered a Beeman Titan NP from Cabelas ($149) had to wait a week for it to come in so I went out an bought the Benjimin Silver Kodiak X2 at Wally World for $99 comes with both .177 and .22 barrels a springer! Both are very accurate and powerful . Cheap scopes came with both useable but not great! Trigger on the Kodiak is ok takes some getting use too! The Titan trigger is light and crisp! It is also very quite! Both are light years better then the Crossman 886 plastic junk! now if you want a very well built custom air gun go Daystate PCP! But it will cost $2200 just for the gun then. Then you got to buy/rent a scuba tank to fill it or buy a 4000psi compressor they sell one just for the gun at $1500 !! Or you could just buy a nice Springer for $500-1000! Ok like I thought when I started looking about! All I want is a decent air gun to plink and smack vermin quietly at 20 -40 yards! Unlike our european brothers I'm still free and can and do have other firearms to do the other choirs!
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 12-10-2016 at 03:32 AM.

Boolit Master

Don't expect those package scopes to last long on most spring guns. It is not if they fail but when. There may be an occasional exception but that is the general consensus of cheap package scopes no matter what the brand.