RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unequal

Boolit Master
    14oz. is 397.5 grammes, so it sounds like a more marketable way of saying 400g. I don't know exactly what "unequal" means here. But if it means grains of different sizes or shapes, I would be very wary of its settling out into different sorts in transit.

Boolit Master

I'm thinkin after every 8 cans, they sold a can of nothing and folks still see the same size can on their shelf.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I will stay with the old stuff that I been usen till it is not being made anymore then go from there.I see there is too many things that is out there that dose not have enough information about it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I went to Hodgdon site today, and downloaded the new burn-rate chart. The new IMR powders are on it.
    Looks to me like Alliant started something with their 'ClayDot', they advertised it as 'duplicating Clays performance at a more economical price'.
    Seems Hodgdon has picked up the gauntlet that Alliant threw down. It appears the new IMR powders are formulated to duplicate the Alliant powders, they are adjacent on the chart.

Perhaps we shooters will benefit from a price war.

Boolit Master
    If IMR/Hodgdon/Winchester/whomever publishes .45 Colt (Ruger/TC Only) data for the powders it's rolling out, I WILL try the appropriate ones. It irks me that Alliant, my FAVORITE pistol powder manufacturer, refuses to publish, or even discuss such data, while all their competitors do so. NOT a good marketing move on THEIR part.

Boolit Grand Master

That chart has Unequal w/ Universal. Universal was one of the first powders to be reformulated. I wonder if Hodgodn is having the same formula made at two different plants so a fire at one wouldn't effect supply like it did last time. ADI's fire made Universal unobtanium for a long time. My speculation is completely unfounded but it does make you wonder if they are making sure their supply chain isn't interupted.

Boolit Master

Universal and Unique have always been very close in burn rate. I prefer the Universal because of the clean metering. If the new Unequal is to rival Unique, it will have to be very close in burn rate.
    Universal, at least the jug I have, is a 'flattened ball' (spherical) powder. All the grains are a consistent size. I don't know anything about it being reformulated.
    I haven't seen any of the new IMR Unequal (whomever thought up that name needs to be fired), but it's being advertised as being composed of different size grains in the mixture.
    That alone would lead me to believe it is not Universal in a different can.

Nothing in the previous statement precludes my being mistaken. I could easily be wrong. That happens often enough....

Banned

unequal is probably as close as they could come to unique.
    change that first E to an I and...

I just want to see some of this [any] pistol powder on the shelves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I haven't seen any of the new IMR Unequal (whomever thought up that name needs to be fired)
    Don't forget the IBM machine with distorted sense of humour which promoted Private Major Major to major in "Catch-22". Perhaps somebody, somewhere, misspelt "Unique", and an officious spelling check program corrected it the wrong way.

Boolit Master

If you look at the new burn rate charts, that's just what they are. In most cases listed right above the oldies.
    Alliant snoozed and left us hanging for the last couple of years and IMR jumped into the gap./beagle[

QUOTE=SierraHunter;3856117]Sounds like reddot, bluedot, greendot, unique and bullseye.[/QUOTE]
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned

alliant was taken over by ATK you know Federal, CCI, Speer the government munitions makers guy's.
    from what I have heard through the grapevine ATK is supposed to lose the Alliant making contract to another outfit here this next year.
    hopefully they get their act together and produce some powder, otherwise hodgdon will end up being about the only game in town for shot shell type stuff.

Boolit Buddy

Stand in line for our old powder that we can't produce and now we have "Great News", some new powders that you also can't purchase. Haven't seen Clays or ClayDot locally for so long that it might as well be off the market. Unique too. Last time I found Red Dot at the LGS they wanted $27/lb. Not.

My last few buys have been Nobel's Vectan line, often has free hazmat shipping deals, and is available without searching the world over to find it. But not found at my LGS.

Now if I could only find 22LR's anywhere near the old pre-Obama price I'd be a real happy camper.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Master

Yeah, Clays is hard to find. I haven't seen it in several years, even Powder Valley is still out. I've never seen any ClayDot in the wild. As far as I can prove, its existence is merely a rumor. I still have about 3/4 lb of Clays, that's alot of 125g .38Spl loads.

I usually don't have problems finding Hodgdon powders (except Clays), maybe because Kansas is just next door. I'm sitting on a couple jugs of Promo, so RedDot can go hang. Alliant powders have always been more difficult for me to find locally, but I use mostly Hodgdon powders anyway.

It could be quite some time before I try any of the new powders. I just now finished working up a good load for 124g 9mm, using the last pound of my Trap100. Another 1400-1500 rounds, I'll need to work up a load using something else....

Banned

they don't need to make new powders as far as I'm conserned. Theres stuff already made to cover about any base. What they need to do is get more of the existing stuff back on the market.

Banned

remember those regulations Trump is going to lower?
    well in Europe you can't import stuff until it meets their waste regulations.
    they get the same powder we get.
    all these new powders we are seeing is those regulations being met.

Boolit Grand Master
    Which is why it is a pipe dream to expect the positioning of these new powders to start a "price war."

It won't. "Reasonably priced" IMR powders that are eco friendly are probably in some way costlier to produce. IMR has competition from Alliant already and that did not prompt them to cut prices any.

Boolit Master
    WOW stupid name only thing that would be worse is to name it Unaccurate. Some marketing genius has his head in the wrong place!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    remember those regulations Trump is going to lower?
    well in Europe you can't import stuff until it meets their waste regulations.
    they get the same powder we get.
    all these new powders we are seeing is those regulations being met.
    I'd like to see how much powder they sell there. I know Australia enacted the same type of laws which effected ADI. But w/ all the restrictions I've always wondered how big the reloading market is in Europe. It doesn't make sense to cut off a revenue stream. But at what point does a global economy hurt your business domestically. But

Boolit Grand Master

Unequal is listed between Universal and Power Pistol all of which are one step below Unique on the new burn chart.

Fastest - Slowest:
    20/28
    Unique
    Universal
    Unequal
    Power Pistol
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Unequal is listed between Universal and Power Pistol all of which are one step below Unique on the new burn chart.

Fastest - Slowest:
    20/28
    Unique
    Universal
    Unequal
    Power Pistol
    That's something I don't like about this type of burn rate chart. No two powders can have the same rate. But then again, maybe no two powders do have the same burn rate.
    "... he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." T.J.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast