RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unequal

Banned

they don't/can't exactly using a different base

according to hodgdons unequal will be pretty much a dead ringer for unique.
    their red/green will take the same bushing as red/green dot in shotguns.
    but will have some slightly different data in handguns.

Boolit Master

Just what has happened to Clay's? I know the plant burned but that was years ago.

Banned

it should be back in January or so.
    Hodgdon has moved much of it's production from Australia to Canada.

America is such a consumer of goods if something goes wrong we can't keep up with ourselves.
    and god forbid if we had an actual world emergency and had to fend for ourselves.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    they don't/can't exactly using a different base

according to hodgdons unequal will be pretty much a dead ringer for unique.
    their red/green will take the same bushing as red/green dot in shotguns.
    but will have some slightly different data in handguns.
    According to the video they will be direct substitutes for "brand x" which I'm going out on a limb here and saying is Alliant. Supposedly they will burn cleaner and be more stable. If they are the same price then they will be a nice alternate but no reason to change. If more expensive then an alternate if Unique or Red Dot is not to be had.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

they will be putting handgun data out for them after the first of the year.
    a bushing volume comparison in a shot shell press doesn't directly relate to a weight similarity. [because of density]
    the handgun data will tell the whole story.

Boolit Master
    It sounds like we are going to get virtually direct replacements for all the "dots" but in shapes that meter better (that won't hurt my feelings!) For some years now Hodgdon has been making a powder that is a direct replacement for Unique in all my applications -- it is their "Universal" and it meters nicely, too.

Boolit Master

Definition of unique

• 1: being the only one : sole <his unique concern was his own comfort><I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? — Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>
    • 2a : being without a like or equal : unequaled <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique — Robert Coover>

Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Converting from U.S. weights and measures to metric, 14 ounces is real darn close to 400 grams (0.4 kilograms). It wouldn't take much at all to tweak the container-filling apparatus down from 400 grams to 14 ounces.

Anyone notice lately that boxes of brand name breakfast cereal almost won't stand up by themselves anymore because they are so skinny? Or that yogurt is only 6 ounces now instead of 8? Look at the bottoms of peanut butter jars that are way up inside the jar now to cut back on how much product will fit in. The prices sure didn't change, though. Are our favorite propellants going the same route?
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Linstrum View Post
    Converting from U.S. weights and measures to metric, 14 ounces is real darn close to 400 grams (0.4 kilograms). It wouldn't take much at all to tweak the container-filling apparatus down from 400 grams to 14 ounces.

Anyone notice lately that boxes of brand name breakfast cereal almost won't stand up by themselves anymore because they are so skinny? Or that yogurt is only 6 ounces now instead of 8? Look at the bottoms of peanut butter jars that are way up inside the jar now to cut back on how much product will fit in. The prices sure didn't change, though. Are our favorite propellants going the same route?
    This is a reflection of inflation, caused by government spending.
    Get ready for more in the near future.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Linstrum View Post

In the case of the Nobel Vectan powders it works the other way for us - 1/2kg nearly equals 1.1 lb in a "1 pound" plastic can.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Grand Master

It does and Nobel Vectan powders are superb. I've tried several and recommend them
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Unique will not be replaced at my house. Or Red Dot. Or the "loaves&fishes" that is Bullseye. Add H110/W296 to that list. Those four perform perfectly for my handgun/shotgun needs. Yes I'm an old set in his ways fart. Best,Thomas.

Boolit Buddy

I just wanted to update this conversation.... I looked at the Hodgdon webpage at the IMR data. Not much for Unequal except in 44 Mag. So I compared 4227 with Unequal. Interesting is that to get Unequal velocities at 4227 velocities, the pressure goes over. It is rare that a load in Unequal will have less pressure and as high, or higher velocity. Now, considering that you are using 1/2 the powder weight, maybe that is a good consideration. Here is an example...

Powder Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. Pressure Grs Vel Pressure
    IMR 4227 .430" 1.700" 20.0 1,215 27,600 CUP 22.0 1,373 37,800 CUP
    IMR Unequal .430" 1.700" 9.5 1,053 27,600 PSI 10.8 1,179 33,700 PSI

However, in 45 Colt compared to 800X, it is VERY close indeed... (160 grain cast)

800-X .452" 1.500" 7.0 865 7,700 PSI 10.0 1,162 12,800 PSI
    IMR Unequal .452" 1.500" 7.2 860 7,300 PSI 9.8 1,194 12,200 PSI

Other cast 45 Colt loads are very similar. Might be a fair replacement for 800x... except for the huge jug I have, that I don't need to supplement...

interesting... they are right, it IS unequal...
    Last edited by tucumcari_kid; 09-01-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added 45 colt
    -Mike

Boolit Master
    IMR Unequal is a direct replacement for Alliant Unique and should be compared to it and not to IMR 4227 or 800X, which are, after all, Hodgdon/IMR products.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 09-01-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    IMR Unequal is a direct replacement for Alliant Unique and should be compared to it and not to IMR 4227 or 800X, which are, after all, Hodgdon/IMR products.
    I appreciate your information, however there may be a lot of reasons to compare all different types of powders. Mine obviously differs from yours. Thanks
    -Mike

Boolit Master
    I have been watching this thread for some time and trying to find some Unequal to try for myself , has anyone actually found any to try??? Powder Valley doesn't even list it, and many other distributors show it, but always "out of stock", have they ever had any yet? It seems all have Red ,Blue , Green, and Target, but no Unequal.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe they should have named it Unavailable.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Maybe they should have named it Unavailable.
    The only places I have seen it advertised were not available. Perhaps they should call it "Unexistent".
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Unique will not be replaced at my house. Or Red Dot. Or the "loaves&fishes" that is Bullseye. Add H110/W296 to that list. Those four perform perfectly for my handgun/shotgun needs. Yes I'm an old set in his ways fart. Best,Thomas.
    BINGO! Why go through all the load development for this new unavailable powder when the old stable horses work just fine?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    Amazing all the negativity here. Some of you guys probably were crying when Dupont 80 and Hi-Vel were discontinued.

Given the vast # of choices, anyone can find a powder perfect for their application.

I was distressed when 4756 and 4759 were dropped but guess what ? There are alternatives that work as well, perhaps better.

As far as Alliant not having handgun load data .... say what ? It's on the net and in their FREE loading book.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast