Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 30 cal. gas checks?

Boolit Mold

30 cal. gas checks?

Hello everyone, I have been reloading a little while but am new to casting. What size gas check do I need for .311 mold? Just a 30 cal. check. Am molding with a Lee.

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    Hornady only offers the one 30 caliber offering. Gator checks may have a separate .311" or .312" but I'm not sure.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply and info

I've only had experience with sage's 30 cal gator checks. Used several thousand by now. They fit just fine on boolits as big as .317" or so. Every so often you find one that's hard to seat but they will with mild persuasion.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes .30 cal Gators fit well I use them on 308's and .303 moulds if they are hard to fit get a chamfer tool from NOE works a treat cleans up the base of the boolit makes easy
    work of seating checks.

Just order 30 caliber gas checks. I prefer copper. I use Sage for Gator checks and make my own using Pat Marlins dies as well. They both work fine. Mine are applied with the boolit sized to .309 for 300AAC supersonics. Once I run through the copper I have left I likely won't make my own any more. I just don't have the time though I love the precision I get using Pat Marlin's dies.

Boolit Master
    Whether the bullet is .308" or .314" it's up to the mold maker to make sure the base is the right size for the check to "snap" on. (in this case .30 cal. gas checks).

Quote Originally Posted by strieker View Post
    Hello everyone, I have been reloading a little while but am new to casting. What size gas check do I need for .311 mold? Just a 30 cal. check. Am molding with a Lee.
    I don't see where Lee offers a .311 mold. If you are talking about the C312-155-2R, I cast that for 300AAC and is my favorite boolit to cast along with a similar NOE boolit. These work with the store bought 30 caliber copper and my Pat Marlins die made copper gas checks. Just order the Gator 30 caliber gas checks and pop 'me on with a sizing die. I size to .309.

Moderator Emeritus

strieker, welcome to the friendliest, most information packed forum on the 'Net. Be sure to do a search on this forum for "annealing gas checks". You will really like a dead soft, annealed, gas check once you use them. Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    strieker, welcome to the friendliest, most information packed forum on the 'Net. Be sure to do a search on this forum for "annealing gas checks". You will really like a dead soft, annealed, gas check once you use them. Semper Fi, Treetop
    That must be necessary for some tough application because I do not find it necessary for 30 caliber. They're easy to make (I like copper), cheap to buy, easy to apply and hold strong without annealing.