MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Simulating 22 LR with a .223 bolt action

Simulating 22 LR with a .223 bolt action

So I just bought some CCI quiet and really enjoy them out of my Marlin 39A in my backyard 1 acre rural subdivision. I also have a Colt/sako 223 bolt action that I an shooting a load of unique and lymans 225415 at about 2200 FPS for fun. Now if I could with that bullet and no gas check simulate the CCI quiet load (700 FPS) in my back yard, that would be sweet. If this is the wrong section, then move it but I would think other here would like to quiet plink with their 223 rifles as well. As of now, I read someone use 3.5 grains 231 to simulate 22 LR but I would want subsonic. I could see that a fast powder would maybe make less noise in a rifle as it would be long burned up when the bullet leaves the barrel. thoughts? and thanks ahead of time.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would stand by with knockout rod and lead hammer and see if 3 grains of Unique will exit the barrel.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    When I feel like doing something similar to 22LR I use a Lyman 225646 (~60 grains cast with Lyman #2) tumble-lubed and without the gas check over 3.5 grains of W231 and get performance essentially equal to a 22LR (~1250 fps). This is in my CZ527 bolt-action 223 Remington.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I would use trail boss.

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    I tried working up a quiet load with trailboss in my 300 blackout using 130gn bullets. I started at about 6 grains and kept going down until I was at the lightest charge my RCBS uniflow would throw, which was about 2 grains. Interesting thing, is that the lightest charge actually had more report then a slightly higher charge. I ended up using WC820 to do what I wanted.

Out of the 22 hornet, and 223 I used to just seat a primer in a case, and use it to shoot air rifle pellets. Very quite.

If you wanted to use a cast bullet, I think a small charge of a fast powder like bullseye will be your best bet.

Hick, I'll try that 231 load maybe reduced to go sub sonic with the 50 grain Lyman 225415.

3-5 grains of Red Dot work fine in .223.

Boolit Buddy
    Floyd Files