Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners

Thread: need help on lyman/rcbs top punch

need help on lyman/rcbs top punch

I have the c225-55-rf mold from lee that produces a similar boolit to the rcbs 55 boolit. Thinking that this was a copy of that mold I purchased rcbs # 506. It works ish, it doesn't exactly fit the profile of the nose and leaves a ring about an 1/8" from the tip. Anyone else using a different top punch that works well?

That boolit looks a lot like the Lee 22 Bator that uses a Lyman 646 top punch according to Castpics...

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/th...bs-top-punches
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    Just put some JB weld in the punch. Rub a little petroleum jelly, lanolin or water on the nose of a bullet to keep the JB from sticking and form the JB to the bullet, wiping off any excess.

Boolit Master
    Do what Dragonheart said only with thickened epoxy. How hard are you pushing boolits through your sizer? If I don't resize too much I don't need a real good fit on the top punch.

Was thinking of trying the hot glue that I read about in another thread. I push hard enough to push the boolit down to the lube holes, this is also crimping on the gas check as well. Have not tried anything yet since I have already sized all the boolits I have cast and haven't had time to get the pot out to make more.

Boolit Grand Master

JB Weld is your friend here , as is JB Weld Epoxy Putty ( the putty doesn't drip or run).
    Hot Glue didn't last for me , after a few hundred it deformed and came out. JB Weld has held up in one punch, a 38 cal. RN punch altered to fit a Lee 148 gr WC boolit , for 20 years now.
    Buying different nose punches just gets you a lot of punches that don't fit , I have a box full that now get the epoxy fitting treatment.

If your boolit has a flat spot on it , no matter how small , beleive me , a flat punch works the absolute best for a nose punch...learned that trick right here. Fill that punch you have , let harden and sand smooth and flat. It lets the boolit self center and align better.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the top punches have a sharp edge around the cavity I use fine abrasive paper to polish it off works on most