MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bullet puller recomendations

Boolit Master

bullet puller recomendations

i want to pull a large quantity of greek 30-06 ball ammo ; in order to make "mexican match" i have a old forester collet type it dosen't want to grab the bullets well. i bought a Grip-N-Pull; and its probably the fastest puller made. however, older hands get tired after 15-20 . i've even made oversize wooden handles for it. best there is for a small lot of ammo. i won't own a inertia puller. so, that leaves me to recomendations from you guys for what you think would or does work well in a collet type puller. remember, i'm going to pull bullets from military sealed necks. ????????????

porthos

Boolit Buddy
    I just purchased and used one made by RCBS. Unloaded 300 rds of 223, worked extremely well IMHO. You need to buy the puller along with the proper size collet.

Boolit Master
    I use an rcbs collect puller. Try seating the bullet deeper before you pull them, it breaks the sealant and makes pulling the bullet simpler.

Boolit Master

Another question that has been asked multiple times. Either the RCBS (which I own) or similar w/ the appropriate collet works fine w/ jacketed bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	181474
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

The suggestion to seat the bullets a bit deeper is sound. I too have found the RCBS collet bullet puller to be very nice to work with rifle bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I also use the rcbs, but would the hornady cam action one be easier? No experience with it, but I just watched a video and it looks quick once it's set up

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    I have the RCBS collet puller, but have never used it. I usually end up using a pail of wire crimpers on top of me reloading press. Run the round in, grab the bullet, and run it back down. Fast, and works well without damaging the bullets.

Boolit Master
    I have pulled about a Jillion all told with my Forster!!
    22/308/358
    I have always pushed the projectile deeper before trying to pull them.
    What about the Forster tool is giving you problems???

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Hornady and Forster. Hornady is much faster and easier to use. If you don't mind scarring the bullets you are pulling, the fastest way is to use a pair of pliers or Vise grips. Remove the die from the press and run the cartridge up through the die hole, grab the bullet with the pliers, and lower the ram. Most bullets are still good enough to use for plinking.

Gus Youmans

bullet puller recomendations

I just bought a rcbs collet bullet puller. Between the puller, .308 collet, and .356 collet it was the Best 35 bucks I have spent on reloading equipment so far. Any brand collet puller has to be better than the hammer type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I like my rcbs collet puller. If you plan on scrapping the bullets you can just use your reloading press, a washer and a pair of wire cutters.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigOK View Post
    I also use the rcbs, but would the hornady cam action one be easier? No experience with it, but I just watched a video and it looks quick once it's set up
    The Hornady is much faster and easier to use. Push the hornady handle to tighten the collet, work the press handle, move the hornady handle back and it's done. Turning the rcbs handle tight enough for military cartridge pull down always made my hand sore.

Boolit Master
    I bought the rcbs and 5 collets for it. Used it one day on different calibers and it got wrapped up and sold on ebay. The collets don't spring back open, and the turning of he thing isn't optimal. I actually used my inertia puller when I had the rcbs in it's box. I bought the hornady with several cams...big difference. Works so much better. The cam over design is so much better, and the collets open back up opposed to the rcbs collets stayed shut and I had to pull them out. RCBS makes good stuff, but not the collet puller.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My RCBS collect bullet puller works great.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never had a problem with my RCBS puller and I would expect the others to work about the same. Seating the bullet a little deeper will break the sealer loose and make pulling the bullet easier, as others have said. I never cared much for my hammer type puller.

Boolit Master
    you can pull the brass a little to the front and it will release the case. you dont have to really tighten it tight. that's if you don't care about the brass

Boolit Bub
    I bought the Hornady collet puller around 10 years ago and I've pulled hundreds of surplus 7.62 rounds with it. It's always worked great for my needs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady, RCBS, Forster, all good, just depends where your brand preferences lie. I like to keep things simple and either use an impact tool or use my press (collet dies have not been good to me as 90% of my bullet use is cast). Since you're pulling HXP ammo and you prolly won't reuse the bullets, you could use your press and a pair of pliers, vice grips, or dikes. (run the cartridge up through the die station, sans die, and grip the bullet. Lift the lever, lowering the cartridge, and pull the bullet.). But remember, there's only one way to eat an elephant, that's one bite at a time. Whichever method you choose, just do as many as you feel comfortable doing and stop, until next time, and it won't be painful or overwhelming...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

I took down quite a few HXP Greek '06 stuff, and shortly learned the time spent to put each loaded cartridge in my press and seat the bullet a smidgeon (technical term) deeper -- to break the varnish seal -- was more than worth the time expended for this extra step, to provide immense ease in bulling each's bullet! Once the bullet was un-stuck, I used the Grip-N-Pull on all but a few, with these latter stubborn ones requiring the RCBS puller. I, too, am NOT a fan of the inertia-type pullers. With the varnish seal broken, I found gorilla-grip on the Grip-N-Pull was no longer necessary. As a matter of fact, most actually seemed almost loose in the cases.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I had a Forster collet puller and all I ever got it to do was scratch a lot of cases beyond use. I tried many times but it just would not work for me. I sold it on this site for cheap.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast