Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 310-tru-line jr

Boolit Master

Lyman 310-tru-line jr

What are the problems, downfalls, shortcoming?
    What are the joys? I have an opportunity to get a large collection of it, but don't know if it is worth the trouble of learning them. I don't buy stuff I can't use. I do like the premise of the tools, I think they are neat. Let me hear your thoughts.

Banned
    Are you getting a 310 tool or a Tru-Line Jr press, or both? Lots of dies? I cannot exactly make out your question.

The Tru-Line Jr press is a good press for what it is. It was designed for an older era, when a man had a single rifle or handgun and needed just a few rounds loaded. It was then considered an upgrade from the older tong tools and even its cousin the 310 tool. Lyman sold several thousand of them. It works ok with smaller cartridges, pistol and small rifle, though it will load any caliber you can find dies and shellholders for. It will ONLY neck size rifle cases and most pistol cases. There are two styles, early ones used a single arm linkage that works ok, newer models have a "compound" linkage that is supposed to be better, I cannot feel the difference.
    Leverage is minimal so it takes some effort at resizing and case lube, a good lube is essential. The limitations mainly center around the dies, this is my PERSONAL observation, but I don't think the dies are made to the same standard as regular dies. Others will disagree.
    Die markings are not what you would normally think and sorting them out will take a Lyman chart and some time.

I began my reloading career with the 310 and Tru-Line JR and used it only for years, 1967 till 1988. It served me well and I have it mounted on a shelf, retired along with 6 other Tru-Line presses.

My thoughts, others will have theirs.

Ken

I own over a dozen presses from a lee through lyman, hornady, rcbs and dillons. My little tru line junior is by far the smoothest action of them all. Whether thats due to age or design I don't know but it always brings a smile to my face on the rare occasions I use it. Wish I had the original box it came in and a few more useful die sets.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am looking at the press and tong tools all in one bundle. I was wondering if they are a reliable and feasible tool for reloading revolver rounds. I have a lee Classic turret press for the semi auto stuff. I still like to use the lee loaders for revolver stuff as well. Easier isn't a factor, I just like old and neat.

They fit your criteria perfectly. Old and neat in spades. Same reason I bought an old Ideal No1 lubesizer.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Looks like I'm going to get them then. Does lyman still have the charts to sort out the dies?

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    Looks like I'm going to get them then. Does lyman still have the charts to sort out the dies?
    Go to this forum's main page. Go down to the bottom and click on the "castpics" box. It will take you to a whole host of information. Also, respect what Pressman said......the Truline press is a little thing from an era long ago. It'll do the job but it's pretty undersized for what reloaders expect today, and people that replace the turret with one for 7/8 x 14 dies are asking for some trouble. Don't use it past its design boundries and you'll have a lot of fun.

Boolit Master
    3006guns, thanks for the heads up. I will use them as they were intended.

Boolit Master
    Well, I fall into the catagory of people who have replaced the tool head! I absolutely love my little Jr.! I only use it for pistol calibers and mainly for the .32 family. It is a wonderful little piece of nostalgia and very pleasing to use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10712811_10205257176058338_5723044975506089944_n.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	181576

Here is a link to a good read for you too! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-tool-history
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have about a half dozen or more assorted types of presses that I actually use, and I like to keep one of my little TL Jrs set up for 32 S&W Long. It's ideal for loading pistol cartridges, but I've also used one of the others for loading 32-40 & 45-70 to shoot in the same (respective) rifles so neck sizing was all that was needed. I recognize their limitations, but within those limitations the TL Jrs do a great job, have a small footprint on the bench, and overall just bring a warm, nostalgic feeling when I use them.

Froggie

PS I also use the tong tools a fair amount... if you are getting this lot with the calibers you want/need you'll probably enjoy them too!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I started using the TL-Jr about a year ago, and then the 310 tool as well. I've been able to load everything I need (for myself) with those two setups.

Not as fast as the newer presses, but the ammo produced is spot on.

Enjoy the experience.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

The Tru-Line Jr. is perfectly adequate for handgun rounds. I have one set up in 38 Special and another in 45 ACP. I have other presses, but use them when I want to do things old school.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003 (480x640).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I use a Tru-line press for the multitude of neck operations in BPCR. I have one with the 7/8-14 head to use modern dies. You can also get adapters to use those small dies in your regular press.
    Get the whole mess and show us what you got. I am sure somebody can tell you it all is and how to use it. sounds like fun !!