Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shhh - the Marines say be very very quiet

Boolit Master
    I think this will be great. I can see a lot of benefits to doing this. I like it. We didn't have this when I was in the USMC, so the guys now will have it made, so to speak.

Semper Fidelis! I love the Marine Corps!

Laying behind a 1919 and a M-60 for almost two years I wish they has a silencer on them. I lost a lot of my hearing, but the draw back with this is the extra length that it adds to the weapons. Not very handy for the clean up house to house type of combat.
    But then the bullet in flite cracking over your head and past the ears is still loud.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parson View Post
    When I was in the M-1's and then the M-14's were bad enough but when they issued those short barreled M-16's hearing problems sky rocketed. Be fore, most of us didn't get VA hearing aids till in our 50's or 60's, now after Iraq and Afghanistan we have kids in their 20's wearing hearing aids, mine are about $1800 each, some of the newer ones I am told are closer to 5 grand, it's killing VA's budget along with the ied injuries, every politician before voting to send our troops in harms way should be required to spend a day in a VA rehab hospital
    +1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests buying stock in Silencer Companies!
    (But most (all) are small outfits - "no stock". ???)

Boolit Buddy
    I would think that close quarters work should be done with shorter barrels fitted with silencers. I am not ex military, so forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but don't certain units specialize in urban combat while others are more outfitted for more open battlefields? If so we could out fit a couple different battle gun configurations/lengths with suppressors. The close quarters guys could most likely successfully use suppressed pistol barrels for their work.
    I also realize our government doesn't depart much from a very standard battle rifle. Maybe considering the roughly 1.5 million active military men and women we have, we need a few more specialized weapons? Especially if they share most of the same parts and platform.

Steve77 the M4 carbine with 14.5" barrel is about the shortest weapon in our inventory for CQB.

to go shorter you need to go bullpup - which our military doesn't want so far

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Steve77 the M4 carbine with 14.5" barrel is about the shortest weapon in our inventory for CQB.

to go shorter you need to go bullpup - which our military doesn't want so far

IWI Tavor! I generally don't like having the chamber that close to my face while firing, but the Israelis seem to have made this one pretty reliable. I have wanted a Tavor since I got my hands on one a year or so ago. Can't justify the price right now though.

Boolit Grand Master

If they integrally suppress them then there will be no additional length added to the barrel. I'm another one that wondered what's taken so long. It's going to cost more which I'm sure is part of it.

More than just the Tavor
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

M17S Bullpup
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    I don't see why a lot more SBR's aren't used while they are at it. Maybe for the close quarters stuff. It is silly to use laws (or prejudices based on them) that are incredibly dumb when applied to civilians as guidelines to keep our military's hands tied. That's just adding dumb to dumb.

Also, I think if we repealed NFA or at least the silencer regs, cost would come down so much in just a few years that they would be everywhere. They would also begin to make ubiquitous integrally suppressed guns of all types, and probably some clever things that none of us have thought of yet. Freedom sparks creativity.
    Last edited by dilly; 12-04-2016 at 01:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    I don't see why a lot more SBR's aren't used while they are at it. Maybe for the close quarters stuff. It is silly to use laws (or prejudices based on them) that are incredibly dumb when applied to civilians as guidelines to keep our military's hands tied. That's just adding dumb to dumb.

Also, I think if we repealed NFA or at least the silencer regs, cost would come down so much in just a few years that they would be everywhere. They would also begin to make ubiquitous integrally suppressed guns of all types, and probably some clever things that none of us have thought of yet. Freedom sparks creativity.
    There's no legal restriction, every M16 and M4 is a machinegun, and more to the point isn't regulated by the NFA at all. M4 uppers are 14.5" and not pinned or welded. The Mk18 (10.3") is mostly restricted to SF/SOF because of budget reasons, not legality. The limited range of a 10.3" 5.56 is more of a liability than a bonus, and the extra cost and logistical nightmare of caliber swaps is out of the question for line units.

Cost and practicality are the barriers, not the NFA.

Boolit Master
    I didn't mean that the NFA applied to the military, and I'm of course glad it doesn't. However I think the stigma that silencers are not ubiquitous in military applications has a lot to do with the NFA. People didn't grow up around them, you know? Also the cost is artificially very high and the ONLY reason is the NFA.

Boolit Master
    I didn't mean that the NFA applied to the military, and I'm of course glad it doesn't. However I think the stigma that silencers are not ubiquitous in military applications has a lot to do with the NFA. People didn't grow up around them, you know? Also the cost is artificially very high and the ONLY reason is the NFA.
    It is entirely about cost and practicality. There's nobody signing off on machineguns, grenades, bayonets, and then balking at silencers because of a law they've never heard of.

Boolit Master
    You are telling me that if you grew up hunting in the woods with very high powered suppressed rifles and then got in the military, almost went deaf from a lousy 223, then promoted to a point where you could equip others, you wouldn't be chomping at the bit to get the young men equipped with some suppressors?

The NFA indirectly, immeasurably, and indisputably affects our military.
    Last edited by dilly; 12-04-2016 at 02:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    You are telling me that if you grew up hunting in the woods with very high powered suppressed rifles and then got in the military, almost went dead from a lousy 223, then promoted to a point where you could equip others, you wouldn't be chomping at the bit to get the young men equipped with some suppressors?

The NFA indirectly and immeasurably, and indisputably affects our military.
    I'm telling you that's not the route anyone takes to being a procurement officer, Congress critter, or battalion gunner.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    You are telling me that if you grew up hunting in the woods with very high powered suppressed rifles and then got in the military, almost went deaf from a lousy 223, then promoted to a point where you could equip others, you wouldn't be chomping at the bit to get the young men equipped with some suppressors?

The NFA indirectly, immeasurably, and indisputably affects our military.
    Whaaaat???

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Whaaaat???

He saying if the civilian market norm was to sell suppressed firearms the military would include that into the requirements for their firearms as well.
    It would be the cultural expectation.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    I wonder how they will perform in sustained fire fights. The heat generated is going to have to have some effect. Also suppressors can have water build up inside due to compression of the air. While it is more common on handguns and 22lr suppressors it can still happen to suppressors designed for high powered rifles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast