Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Metal detectors

Boolit Buddy

Metal detectors

My range is in the lower field of my place and only gets brush hogged occasionally, so the grass is a foot high most generally. It is not practical to put down tarps to catch brass and I've always used an ancient (45+ years old) metal detector to find my brass. That detector no longer works very well and I'm in the market for a new one. I'm not looking for a cheap ***, but don't need to spend $500.00 either as I don't need another hobby; treasure hunting. Recommendations???

My wife and I bought one from Walmart some years back. Mostly we go down to smaller rivers when they are low walking the sandbars.

I see they still have the same brand at Walmart looks like it still sells for under 100$.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bounty-Hu...ector/14526541

I find my lost brass with a metal detecting wand...I use that wand to check old lumber that I run through my planer. They are cheap yet sensitive too, we don't need a discriminating expensive device...just need to find those precious little brassards that try to get away!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    you might want to try here at http://www.kellycodetectors.com/ Great people to deal with.I have an old minelab that needs reapired.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Teknetics EuroTek Pro, light easy to use and it will find stuff. Do a youtube search and check it out. I think about 200 bucks. Also take a look at the pin pointers, a handy pocket detector, about 100-125 bucks.
    "That's bold talk for a one eyed fat man" Lucky Ned Pepper

How about some roundup? No grass makes the brass easy to see.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Oh man I could do that BNE but then I would need some green paint

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I bought a metal detector because my Dad lost one of his gold rings.And found it pretty quick.He was happy to say the least.Mom thought it was wasted money,and I would never use it again.Thought that I would try it on the local beach a few days later after a bit of a storm.Did`nt do too bad.Came home with almost $800.00 bucks in my pocket that day from gold salvage,and a nice reward from a local resident who gave me a $100 bucks for finding his Rolex.Mom quit fussing after that.Hehehe.Found a lot of buried water lines for neighbors too.Was a cheap one too.$65.00 out the door at FW Woolworth.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    You can afford to lose a lot of brass for the cost of a metal detector.

Boolit Grand Master

Caldwell brass catcher, non AR type, and a tripod works well. Since I started using it I haven't lost a single piece of brass. Doesn't help if you're shooting on the move. But for stationary shooting just set it up next to the gun and let it do it's thing.

Boolit Master

astro turf chech yopur building supply houses, bargans barns etc, craigslist they dump the stuff this time of year

Years ago my Father wanted a metal detector and we got him a Garrett model, it's adjustable for different things and sensitivity but I wouldn't use it for brass casings.

If you are in an area where people shoot or have shot, it will be going off on everything metal that has ever been fired. Near a stable or shop? Every speck of nail or drop of slag ever made. Around a camp fire? Every tab or cap from cans or bottles since they were invented.

Get a tarp and 4 bricks, should save you both time and money.

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned around a dozen or so detectors in the last 5 years alone. I've tried cheap on up to expensive. For what you are doing, I'd buy a Tesoro Compadre with 5.75" coil. The smaller coil will be more precise to use meaning less time from the time you hear a beep til you have your brass in hand. These detectors have a very fast recovery speed, meaning you will easily be able to hear 2 separate targets side by side instead of it sounding like one target.

If you think you might like metal detecting as a hobby, I would recommend a different machine, but just finding brass, the compadre would be difficult to beat for $160.

Boolit Buddy
    One more thing to do is watch craigslist, If you can find a Garret ACE 150 or 250, those would be pretty good as well for finding brass on a budget.

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard there's a new fangled firearm that they're calling "revolver". I think it doesn't spit it's brass out until you let it. Some shooters say their "revolver" will drop the brass in a gallon can!

Boolit Master
    Check out the Tesoro Compadre. It's light and simple but works great. They are built in the USA and have great product support in the unlikely event that you need it. I think I paid around $160 for mine new. It's simple enough that my kids like to use it. Its also sensitive enough to find tiny bits of lead if you want or turn the sensitivity down and easily weed out all the junk so you can find your brass in no time.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
    I've heard there's a new fangled firearm that they're calling "revolver". I think it doesn't spit it's brass out until you let it. Some shooters say their "revolver" will drop the brass in a gallon can!
    That's nothing, I've even got a few revolvers that use caseless ammunition. Invented by some guy named Sam.

Robert