MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grinder time

Boolit Master
    Ordered the #32 Cabela's grinder. Should be here before the end of the week.

Liked the Cabela's unit because of the larger diameter neck, the freezer jacket that straps onto the outside of the auger housing and the stated (probably more like theoretical) lifetime warranty.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

My brother bought the Cabelas 1hs on sale and I thought it was overkill, but am so glad he did. Awesome quiet machine that we use a lot.
    I think the LEM is a well built machine but the ones I've been around were so loud that you couldnt hear yourself think

I never figured we needed a sausage stuffer after that, but now we also have one of the Cabelas verticles that the wife found at a yard sale for $25. That is awesome. We had extra tubes and shaped one to use as a jerky shooter. We can REALLY crank out the jerky now but it takes 1 person to hold the tray and 1 to crank and you have to get your timing down. When you figure it out it like being in a jerky making factory

Boolit Master

All I can say is that a good grinder is a "nice to have" if you can afford it. Sure helps with saving costs, but a hefty investment. I have used both hand and powered types. Hand works, but takes a while. If it is all you have or can afford, it will do the job. I inherited a Thunderbird #12 about 10 years ago from the family of a life long friend. Now I only do about 2-4 deer a year. Before I got this grinder, I had the Kitchenaide mixer with the meat grinder attachment. The Kichenaide was slow, to say the least. Took 2 full days to grind, mix and stuff sausage. With the Thunderbird, it takes a few hours to grind, then a few hours to stuff. I also have an Enterprise lard/fruit/stuffer press that will stuff casing in a blink of an eye with 2 people working. Actually have 2, can't remember the correct sizes, seems like the small one is 5 lbs and the larger one is 20 lbs. When you run across sales on pork butts or beef roasts at stores and have the room in the freezer, you can turn out some good sausage/ground meat and save on cost$. I won't say the grinders are a necessity for all, but if you process your own meats, they are.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Used the new grinder last night. Quieter than I expected. Ground 2 whole chickens into dog food. The majority of the work was chopping the chicken up (my cleaver is a bit too small), keeping up with the grinder, and the clean up.
    Chicken was about 20% frozen, I put the freezer collar on the auger housing, plus a ziploc of ice cubes in the big tray about 20 minutes before starting and I'm pretty confident that the ground chicken that was falling into the stainless bowl we were using was still in the low to mid 30s.

Besides what we grind for sausage, meatloaf etc., we will ultimately be grinding about 40 lbs. of dog food per month. I let out a big OUCH at the cost, but the Mrs. says she's glad we bought the bigger unit.
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 10-29-2018 at 02:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Master

Does it grind down the chicken bones where they don’t cause any problems to your dogs?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    Does it grind down the chicken bones where they don’t cause any problems to your dogs?
    Yes! Chicken bones are no match for most any #32 grinder. I would not, however, put anything through this small of a grinder other than chicken or rabbit bones. If you buy commercially prepared raw dog food, it has ground bone in it.

General recipe for raw dog food is:
    80% muscle meat (being 10-14% fat)
    10% bone
    7% vegetable & fruit
    3% ofal (organ meat)

There are lots of variations on this and this is not all a dog should be eating.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Thnx for the reply, I’m going to check on one.

Boolit Master
    the wife and I got our new grinder and table so we could set it all up portable and not have to pick the grinder and slicer up every time you needed to use themClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0801[3757].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	229598

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Yes! Chicken bones are no match for most any #32 grinder. I would not, however, put anything through this small of a grinder other than chicken or rabbit bones. If you buy commercially prepared raw dog food, it has ground bone in it.

General recipe for raw dog food is:
    80% muscle meat (being 10-14% fat)
    10% bone
    7% vegetable & fruit
    3% ofal (organ meat)

There are lots of variations on this and this is not all a dog should be eating.
    Dad used to pressure cook all the bones from a deer carcass for about 40 minutes at 15 lbs. Made a fantastic broth to add to dried dog food, plus the bone could be added to the food--even the largest were like mush. Probably best to do outside, weather permitting. SWMBO might have issues with the smell. I like it, some others around here don't.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

We fought a Kitchenaid attachment for several years (low tolerance for sinew) before upgrading to a LEM Big Bite #5. It'll take anything you can fit in the neck, but will bog a bit if you over do it. I cut meat into long strips and it just sucks it right down, I rarely use the stuffer.

My kitchenaid struggles a lot I need to get a stand alone grinder.

Boolit Mold
    I have bought a good meat grinder recently and it came with a number of cutters and plates of various sizes. The grinder is easy to access and easy to clean. And i am suggesting Monlock as wonderful website for grinding tools. Works great.

Boolit Master

Years ago, I raised a lot of rabbit, chicken, duck, turkey, and geese. Rabbit seemed to be a better feed to meat ratio. Every couple of weeks I would butcher, quarters were left whole, torsos were stripped and ground. I am happy to say my daughters did not eat store bought meat for years. I had a neighbor who was a commercial fisherman so there was lots of fresh seafood to boot. I loved it when shrimp were in season!

Sadly, the ex kept the grinder which was about the only thing I missed, the ex, not so much
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123