MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Calibers for 43 egyptian rolling block rebarrel

Boolit Buddy

Calibers for 43 egyptian rolling block rebarrel

What calibers non black powder era are these actions suitable for conversion. Any ideas or things to stay away from are welcome. Trying to come up with something that commercial amo is available for SAFE and that also is easy to reload for a youth.

Boolit Master
    My first idea would be 45-70 a low pressure round in factory rounds, it safe in the old trap doors

Twenty gauge. Or non- magnum handgun cartridge(.38&.44spl, 44-40,45 LC) 45-70 would be the easiest to do, though.

Boolit Buddy
    Is the action not strong enough for magnum calibers?

Boolit Master

Just about any black powder cartridge that will fit. Long cartridges will give a problem as well as cartridges with a large. A 45-90 may have the rim hang up on the hammer or breach and a 50-70 may not clear also.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Just about any black powder cartridge that will fit. Long cartridges will give a problem as well as cartridges with a large. A 45-90 may have the rim hang up on the hammer or breach and a 50-70 may not clear also.
    Wern't the New York State Guard rolling blocks .50-70s? I said 20 gauge earlier but maybe a 28 or .410- but they are not cheap to shoot with factory loads!

Boolit Master
    Iirc most if not all Egyptians were built on the black powder no. 1 action. They are not safe with smokeless calibers.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    The Remington #1 Rolling Block was designed around the black powder era, as such it is limited to the pressure ranges of "Trapdoor" loads, which from my understanding is 18,000 CIP, or 28,000 PSI chamber pressure. As said before, 45-70 is about the best rebarreled option because the 45-70 is commercially available in "Trapdoor" loads which would be just fine. 50-70 also works just fine if you reload. I've got #1 Rolling Blocks in both calibers, so they do work just fine.

Ken H>

I'd say a 38-55 or the 45-70 would be a good choice. I've seen a few rebarreld to 357/38 special and those seem to do ok with lite loads.
    Locally I see several rollers from time to time that have been rebarreled to smokeless cartridges, most are just bombs waiting to go off, 30-06, 243w and ect.

Years ago I picked up a beautiful #1 roller rebarreled and chambered to 444 marlin. Needless to say I never fired it in the years I had it. I felt the 444 marlin was a bomb waiting to go off in that action! I was going to have it rebarreled to 45-70 but instead I sold it in favor of a #1 sporting rifle in 45-70 and have never looked back.

Boolit Master
    One thing to consider is the extractor of the #1, 45-70 will fit just fine without extra work. A 38-55 (isn't this the same as 30-30 rim?) would require a new extractor.

Boolit Master
    . 303 British would be a good start for a Smokeless version rifle, and much easier for a youth to handle over the 45/70.
    The rim on a 7.62x54 R will work also, but it may be getting up there in the pressure limits of the action.

Boolit Master
    Since he mentioned handloading his ammo, the 45-70 should work just fine. Load down around 1,000 fps (or 900 fps even) with a 340 grain bullet and no recoil to speak of for practice. Then a few rounds of 1200 fps for hunting would make a good 100 yd rifle, and more with practice estimating distance and bullet drop.

I would be VERY leary of using a caliber that commercial ammo would be over the pressure limits of Rolling Block action. I've read commercial .303 ammo is loaded to the 45,000 to 50,000 psi range?

Ken H>

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Wern't the New York State Guard rolling blocks .50-70s? I said 20 gauge earlier but maybe a 28 or .410- but they are not cheap to shoot with factory loads!
    The 50-70 breach block is cut for the larger rim.

Boolit Master

The factory load for the 45-70 has 28,000 psi which is so it will be safe in a trapdoor Springfield. The 303 started as a smokeless cartridge and may be safe in a #5 action but it would most likely be a little high in a #1. A good cartridge for the #1 that would have less recoil than a 45-70 would be a 38-56 or 40-65, both made from 45-70 brass and would use the same extractor.

Boolit Master
    John's got a good idea with the 38-56. I didn't know about that cartridge (thanks John, I've learned something today). Since the OP is planning to reload the 38 caliber would be good due to the higher velocity for hunting than a 45-70, but still low recoil. Always make the brass from 45-70 which is available and not too expensive.

Ken H>

Boolit Mold
    we rebarreled several of the Remington rolling blocks back in the mid 60s to 45-70.. I can't remember who was selling the barrel kit to do it(maybe Shaw) but it was a cheap conversion.. of course you could buy 4 of the argentine rebuilt rolling blocks rifles for $100......

Boolit Buddy
    Weren't some later RRBs chambered in smokeless calibers? I remember seeing some in 7mm IIRC.

Yes the last version was for smokeless cartridges wth the 7x57 the most common by far. It may have been chambered in 30US, 303, etc.

I picked up a Rem. roller in 45 Egyptian for $200. I surprised how good the bore looked, since the rest of the rifle looked like it spent its whole life on a camel. So, I elected to form and load 43 Egyptian. I went the way of forming and trimming 32 gauge brass shotgun shells imported from Brazil. The only unique reloading part I have is the shell holder for 50 sharps that holds the case. I used other dies to neck size and form. Once you get the case to fit the chamber and then fire, its now fire formed. I use lyman's 457124 that is supposed to weigh 385 grains but comes closer to 400 grains with my alloy. I size it down to .451 in 2 steps (I use the 454 first). While the original grove diameter is suppose to be about 446 with 448 bullets suggested, I am not going to change what works in mine and is easy to load. I load about 13 grains of unique and its very accurate at 200 yards. I lost one case out of the box of 25 so I have 24 cases and that for now is fine. I believe 50 sharps from Starline would have a bigger rim and maybe extract better than the 32 gauge shot gun brass. I essentially decap, prime, flare the case mouth, charge the powder, seat the bullet and slightly crimp the case mouth back. I use other dies to accomplish these actions and without looking, I believe I am flaring, seating and crimp with either 45 acp or 45 colt. Of course I have to go by feel and I can not run the case all the way into the die.