Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do you politely tell people

Boolit Master

Truthfully, I tell them my reloading equipment/loads and dies are set up specifically for my rifles and handguns, and I can't change any settings for other peoples firearms.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    Simple answer in a word, NO.
    You don't load for others and you don't shoot others reloads. Word gets around. They will quit asking.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

I am still waiting for any of the folks I offered to use my equipment to assemble their components into ammo...
    I suspect the wait will continue....
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Buddy
    ive been reloading/casting about 10 years. ive had a handful or 2 that have asked and 1 arrogant jerk even expected me to reload for life if he bought a gun I was interested in selling. I tell them either I don't load for the caliber they want ,or I just flat out tell them its too much liability to sell reloads . I had a coworker in the past that joined the club I shoot at and became a shooting buddy I would occasionally GIVE not sell him a few boxes of 9mm and 38/357 once in a while only because he gave me all his once fired brass plus any range brass he could pick up. he really liked to shoot allot and kept the brass rolling in too .

Boolit Grand Master

I was thinking about this last Sunday at Church (not during the sermon!). I realized I would say "No" to a casual acquaintance, but also say "No" to my Pastor, a man I admire and love. Just a simple, polite "no I'd rather not"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    It's easy! Here is my response: No.

A complete sentence with one word. Marvelous.

Boolit Master
    I have told a number of friends no due to liabilities as well as licensing. My offer to teach them generally falls on deaf ears. I have taught several engineers to reload and they reload a lot of rounds per year.

One guy who knew I reloaded called 9:30 pm on a Thursday night and asked me to run up 200 rounds for Saturday morning. I said no. I haven't heard from him for several years.

Boolit Master
    Well that was down right rude, why didn't you do his reloading for him? the nerve of some people!

I let people use my ammo in my gun, i have handed a few rounds over to people to test in their guns when they were having ammo issues. If it worked for them, i let them know the load i'm using, but that's as far as it goes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Simple answer in a word, NO.
    You don't load for others and you don't shoot others reloads. Word gets around. They will quit asking.

Shiloh
    Not shooting unknown reloads is a great idea too!

In 1976 a guy at work had an eight inch 629 just like Dirty Harry. A box of shells was a days wages... "I reload..want to watch?" He made 3 rounds as I watched and I was hooked! I could have bought a new Mercedes for what that little demo did to me over the next 40 years....

But I'm happy....

I'm sure the savings will kick in any minute!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I was accused of reloading because I'm too cheap to buy ammo, yet this guy buys the cheapest chit he can find, I let that slide...until our next range session.

After he had several failures related to ammo and whining about the point of impact was way low, with his fixed sight guns, I mentioned maybe reloading would help.

I could actually see the light go on over his head.
    It was then that the question was asked...and I answered no, but I'll teach you.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 11-29-2016 at 10:09 PM.

I was at a reloading supply table in a gun show next to a guy with his right hand all bandaged up, and the parts that weren't looked red and chewed up. He admitted that he had a gun blow up but it couldn't have been his fault because (I am not making this up BTW)
    A). The guy that taught him several decades ago had really good equipment and knew his stuff. I think this was supposed to translate as I was well taught.
    B). The gun should have been able to handle at least a double charge without failure. They have to after all there is a law or something.

The man was buying pistol powder so I guess making more was in his future but he did say it was hard to do everything left handed because the fingers they were able to stitch back onto his right had no feeling or coordination "yet". Can't think of a better reason to not use other peoples reloads then think of that last statement from the "injured party". Then ask yourself what hand you shoot with and is it the same one you sign your name or wipe with.

Find one of those pictures of injuries from a firearm failure, or even two or three pictures. Put the gory pictures on your phone. Tell people they have to sign a waiver saying if any of this happens to them or anyone else using your ammunition that you are not liable or responsible.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    YIKES

All guns are made to handle double charges? this is news to me

Thankfully, i physically can't fit enough powder in my .38 super to over charge it and cause an issue, yet an idiot (me) can mess up and not put powder in one and have the second round clear it.......

Sounds like whatever he was using was pretty big to do that sort of damage. I like the no feeling YET, for injuries like that, i'd have guessed they would never work right again....

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    YIKES

All guns are made to handle double charges? this is news to me

Thankfully, i physically can't fit enough powder in my .38 super to over charge it and cause an issue, yet an idiot (me) can mess up and not put powder in one and have the second round clear it.......

Sounds like whatever he was using was pretty big to do that sort of damage. I like the no feeling YET, for injuries like that, i'd have guessed they would never work right again....
    Derringer - my thinking is either prior round was as you describe a squib that left barrel obstructed or possibly both barrels with double charge.... Those little two barrel fellows don't have much gun around the case to dissipate energy by guns destruction.

Took me about 3 - 5 years to get mobility and feeling (most of it anyway) back in a couple fingers after a boxers fracture that required surgery to reposition the bones. Last two fingers wouldn't curl at all for a couple of years, by the end of 5 I could wrap my hand around stuff, took a long time for strength to come back (no nerves = no muscle action). I was also around 20 and this guy was closer to 70. Me I seem to recall I healed a whole lot better back then than I do now and I'm still shy of 60.

One thing is for certain not getting any use back from the parts that they couldn't sew back on. Mr. booger picker was seriously shortened. Think a joint from thumb also as I recall.
    Think this picture would work for a start on the "if this happens I'm not responsible" it also happens to be a lot like that fellows injuries except he had some more bits missing.
    http://www.kazak.com/wordpress/wp-co...plode-hand.jpg

I'm not ever going to get the picture of what happens with pistol powder in a rifle out of my brain. This all makes me think I should spend more time with a muzzle loader.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I'm too blunt. My friends know this and accept it. Sorry honesty is easiest. I tell them I don't have the time to do my own.
    No time for yours.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Frosted Boolits

I straight up just tell them no for the liability reason. I then tell them that if they want to come over to my house and press out some rounds that I would be more than happy to teach them. I have probably said this to no less than 50 people over the years and have had 2 takers. They are now happy reloaders with their own equipment. Does that make me an enabler???
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy
    I am always willing to teach and divert that way. Also I use the I DON'T have the time, and I am just keeping up with my own shooting.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Derringer - my thinking is either prior round was as you describe a squib that left barrel obstructed or possibly both barrels with double charge.... Those little two barrel fellows don't have much gun around the case to dissipate energy by guns destruction.

Took me about 3 - 5 years to get mobility and feeling (most of it anyway) back in a couple fingers after a boxers fracture that required surgery to reposition the bones. Last two fingers wouldn't curl at all for a couple of years, by the end of 5 I could wrap my hand around stuff, took a long time for strength to come back (no nerves = no muscle action). I was also around 20 and this guy was closer to 70. Me I seem to recall I healed a whole lot better back then than I do now and I'm still shy of 60.

One thing is for certain not getting any use back from the parts that they couldn't sew back on. Mr. booger picker was seriously shortened. Think a joint from thumb also as I recall.
    Think this picture would work for a start on the "if this happens I'm not responsible" it also happens to be a lot like that fellows injuries except he had some more bits missing.
    http://www.kazak.com/wordpress/wp-co...plode-hand.jpg

I'm not ever going to get the picture of what happens with pistol powder in a rifle out of my brain. This all makes me think I should spend more time with a muzzle loader.
    I wish that I hadn't clicked on that picture! OUCH! That is my favorite hand too.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm amazed at all the people who offer to teach others reloading. I was given a Blue Press magazine in 2008 and told to figure it out. I didn't meet another caster until after I had been doing it for a year. Several have asked for my reloads but I've yet to have a copy of Blue Press when they do.

Boolit Buddy
    My B-I-L and older sister just started shooting a couple of years ago... both in their mid-60's... both have got their CHL (CCW for other places), and about 3 months ago my B-I-L asked me about my recommendations for reloading equipment (progressive). They both know I've been reloading and casting for about 40+ years. Since they ARE family, I told the BIL, "why buy, I'll send you my old, RCBS Jr press, and you can use it to learn to reload. And let me know when he got Lyman's Reloading Handbook, I'll mail you the press." No loss, I have 3 other single stages & two Dillons.

A couple days later he calls, in the gun store and wants to know should he buy the 49th or the 50th edition? I said either, but the 50th has a couple of calibers and some updated info not in the 49th... ( least from my quick perusal of my copy). I disassembled the press, losing the spring clip in the top of the ram in the process, (ain't the folks at RCBS great?), and sent off the press along with a list of other pieces of equipment he'd need. (powder drop, balance beam scale, primer flipper, dies and case checker in the caliber he was going to load for? That started a whole new round of discussion about what brand to buy...

He called and said I was cruel... assembling the press was a real learning experience in and of itself. (Have you ever disassembled and cleaned yours)? But... he now knows that press, inside and out, how it works, why it works and has the basic knowledge that he needn't call me at 2am my time with a question!

Over the years, I've had folks ask me to load ammo for them, ... always gave them the same answer, "I'm not properly licensed to load for others, and my aversion to jail is greater than your desire for cheap ammo. But, if you want to learn, here's a book to read first..." Always the Lyman Reloading Handbook out at the time. A few have bought the book, fewer still have come back to actually sit in on a lesson... fewer still are reloading themselves. Like less than 4. Now, among shooters that I have competed with in a couple different disciplines, different story... but generally, the same answer... mostly competitors that learned early on, they could actually practice and get better if they rolled their own. With the advent of the internet, and all that it opens up, I see a lot of posters on at least one forum... they want to know everyone else's formula for their load... they get the same answer, "buy Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook."

While I might go off the reservation and experiment with reduced loads, or push the limits of a cartridge... I ain't putting myself out there giving away information that I developed over 40 years of this "hobby"... I do of course offer a line of investigation to pursue if they are really interested. Generally, I get few responses, as someone else is all too happy to share their favorite concoction! As my Dad used to tell me, if someone's trying to talk you into something, they've probably found themselves in a pile of manure... and really only want company!

And for those that say, "just say, no." Did you have someone help you learn? If not, okay... but if you did, how are you paying that forward? Sure am glad that fellar that taught me the basics, didn't just say "no."
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Banned

$2 a round is my labor fee.... how many do you want?

usually I hear crickets chirping....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast