Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do you politely tell people

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I tell them I'll teach them how to cast and/or load ammo. Most don't have the time but a few go for the reloading lessons.
    In my experience, most don't want to take the time. What's important to them is getting ammo cheap not learning a new skill.

But my typical response is "you realize you're asking me to break the law?" Which I can then turn into a teaching moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? Because I make superior ammo than you can buy. Most of the time cheaper too.

No I can not. But you can use my tools, measure your own rifle, and you make them here
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

I have offered to teach multiple people. Very few are that interested.

I also don't like telling people that I "Re-load" ammo. I prefer to tell them that I am a "custom bullet crafter".

Our hobby / pastime etc is not cheaper, easier or faster than buying bullets from the store.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

Thread brings to mind something Dean Grenell said years ago. If you were to be paid for doing it you'd be working for coolie wages. Not to mention technically it's not legal to do it without a license.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Buddy

I have had this happen many times and I always tell them , for so much a box I will do it , that usually puts and end to it. I do it for myself because I like it and I actually enjoy reloading more than I do shooting. I have my own range here at the house so I do plenty of shooting , but I reload more. Im just now getting back into casting my own bullets again and find this forum very usefull, things have
    changed since I last cast 30 + years ago , im going to try the tumble lube this time , If I had to use a Lyman lubrisizer again I dont think I would do it. anyway great forum guys

Boolit Master
    Once I tell them I load, all The Cheap guy come out Of the woodwork. There to Cheap to buy There Own equipment and to Lazy to Learn.. I never let anyone use my equipment. . I either say just "NO". or i say i will have to Charge them. . Never had any one say Ok.
    End of discussion
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    I don't make excuses or lie about it, it's just no I don't load for other people.

I do have a good friend that I do help load his hunting rounds, I end up preparing his brass just because it's easier for me to do it but when it comes time to reload he comes over to the house and powders his cases. I help him set up the dies and usually end up seating bullets while he is dropping powder. He supplies all his own components and when we both purchased 25-06 rifles he purchased the set of Hornady dies and a few other case prep items.

I don't mind showing people how to reload and helping them with low volume reloading but I will not turn into an ammo plant for someone that wants to pump out 1000 rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

They ask a direct question you give a direct answer.
    I learned I really don't have to justify my opinions when I got sober 30 years ago. If asked I would politely say "Nope, I make it a policy to not reload for anyone else. I wouldn't want to be responsible for any harm that might come to you from a mistake I might make" Period. No need to fabricate an excuse, just state your reasons, once, and Period...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Here too it's not legal to load ammo for someone else. But still there are people who insist. Then I just tell the price of the custom ammo. That usually changes their minds.

price = 2x price of higHest quality factory ammo. 3x if asker is someone I do not like.
    --------
    SISU

Boolit Grand Master

I handle this with different methods, depending on who ask. When friends ask, I tell them they can buy a die set and components and come over and we will load together. When others ask, I tell them that there are liability issues and that it requires a license and insurance that I do not have. I try to take every opportunity to bring new people into our hobby, but I will only load for a very small number of people.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    I have had this happen many times and I always tell them , for so much a box I will do it , that usually puts and end to it. I do it for myself because I like it and I actually enjoy reloading more than I do shooting. I have my own range here at the house so I do plenty of shooting , but I reload more. Im just now getting back into casting my own bullets again and find this forum very usefull, things have
    changed since I last cast 30 + years ago , im going to try the tumble lube this time , If I had to use a Lyman lubrisizer again I dont think I would do it. anyway great forum guys
    Welcome aboard kmrra! I too have my own range. Haven't used my Lyman 450 in over 10 years. The LEE sizers are great though.

Boolit Buddy
    I usually tell them my labor rate is 50/hr. I also rarely get asked to reload for anyone. I sometimes let family members try out my hand loads but never use my reloading stuff. They aren't exactly detail oriented people. I'm also new to reloading so I'm not positive my experience is enough to justify saying I'm knowledgeable on the subject.

Boolit Master
    I tell them that each gun likes a different size shape and weight of bullet. There is much measuring and the process can be rough at times. I do this for the enjoyment and satisfaction of the project. Most of the time they leave it at that.

Boolit Master
    Even though most folks don't want to take the time to learn, I have taught a couple beginners that now load with their sons. How cool is that!!!!

I have a father and son team that shoots 3 gun that I help with some reloading problems that crop up. I also coach the son in offhand shooting.

The time I spend with just a few helps to guarantee the continuation of our endeavor.

Boolit Master
    I taught my sons,well two of them anyway, and did load a box or two for my late buddy every season. The people at work think I'm somewhat of an enigma, because I know more about the firearm hobby and related subjects than all of them combined. It's not a brag on my account, but rather a sad statement about the co-workers. I brought a cast bullet to give to a co-worker and he showed it to someone else . They thought it was steel that was turned on a lathe. I,too, tell them that they could buy ammo cheaper than I will make it, especially 9mm. One fellow wants to learn, but I'm hesitant to teach him. A huge percentage of the co-workers are convicted felons, and I don't want to become involved in any activities that includes them.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    When I mention to people I load my own rounds, I get many different responses. One, of course, is.........."would you load some for me?". I tell them "no", but come over and watch me reload and see how it's done. It's funny, eight out of ten never bother, and two will actually show up. One of the two will say it's too much trouble and the other.............well, you can see the sparkle in his eye. I've had two that have started loading themselves. Makes you feel good.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bowenrd View Post
    They ask a direct question you give a direct answer.
    this. I love telling people no, with a smile on my face and love in my heart. Screw them. Take some responsibility and do the work for yourself. Now, if they want to learn to cast, I am all in. I never turn away a responsible student. But do it for them? Hell will freeze over first!

Boolit Master
    I only loss

I only load for my brothers and I tell them if they give them to others I won't load them any more.

Tell them it's $250 per round. That's a $1 per round for the ammo and $249 per round to cover the legal fee when someone sues you when [insert various catastrophic calamities]

They'll get the message. If not, no need to continue with polite conversation.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    I've found that as a general rule for life, whenever someone asks me to do something I don't want to do I reply with a simple "no" and absolutely nothing else. This results in a deer-in-the-headlights look, often slackjawed, because I didn't give them anything to further leverage the conversation with. It can be downright comical to watch the reaction, sometimes stuttering/stamering, they simply don't know what to follow up with. This technique works just as well, if not better, on the phone.