Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do you politely tell people

How do you politely tell people

So this weekend is basically about the one year mark that I have been reloading/casting. When I tell people I do this I get one or do responses. The first one being is why? Which that one usually doesn't bother I tell them and than they think it is cool. The second one being "can you load me up some rounds". Usually I kind of fumble around and tell them i just don't have such and such dies or powder. It's not I don't trust my self to do it but, things can and do go wrong. If something went wrong I'd rather it happen to me and not the other person for obvious reasons. Only person I would consider is my brother. But, how do you tell them no with out coming across as one you don't know what your doing or just being jerk about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They ask a direct question you give a direct answer.

Boolit Master
    You tell them you don't (for good reasons) trust other's reloads, and nobody but you should trust yours. Tell them you don't want to be responsible if their gun 'explodes.'

Boolit Grand Master

Technically you need a license to manufactor ammuntion for sale so theres one way. Another is to point out that ammo is produced firearms specific and you dont have thier gun or know what shape its in. And last is if you know them well offer to show them and let them use your equipment under your supervision to load there ammo. Alot that ask for this favor want your time more than the actual ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

You need a type 06 FFL to manufacture ammo for others. Granted this is in a commercial sense. But I can't imagine you would supply all the components for these people. And the chances of them supplying the components is slim to none. Explain you don't have the proper license and leave it at that. More importantly, don't tell people you reload. I got tired of the the freeloaders so I don't tell anyone anymore.

Boolit Master
    Don't have the time.
    Don't load for that caliber.
    Liability concerns.

I'm with you. I only shoot reloads from people that trained me or I have trained. If I'm with someone I will let them shoot my ammo, but I don't have the time to make ammo for someone else.

Boolit Master
    Tell them no. Then if they are worthy of you mentoring them ...... offer that instead ...... they will cool off immediately.

Chose who you make the mentoring offer to wisely however ........ I have one younger guy I got started that I regret ...... he is constantly calling me with one hair brained idea after another .......

He is hard headed and I have to really sit down on him to get him to "heel" much of the time.

I should have seen it coming ...... he's one of these guys that thinks you can always have your cake and eat it too and that there must be a way to take "dirt" and turn it into gold!

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    I tell them I'll teach them how to cast and/or load ammo. Most don't have the time but a few go for the reloading lessons.

Those are all good responses. Even though, bowenrd i like the most. Probably the licensing and unknown condition of the gun is the best with out ruffling feathers . It's not like I would be lying any how.

Most of them that ask don't want to learn it or want nothing to do with but, they think for whatever reason it will be cheaper, better , and or off the grid or something. The one guy I had almost convinced to buy the stuff to get going and come over and learn but, I forgot his excuse at the time. It's mainly people that I work with

Mike: If they are too lazy to learn, they are just looking to drag you down. Everyone thinks reloaded ammo is nearly free. It isn't, and if you add in your time it is the same or more expensive.

when people ask me I just say no I don't have the time because I'm behind on my Reloading. Which isn't far from the truth.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Mike: If they are too lazy to learn, they are just looking to drag you down. Everyone thinks reloaded ammo is nearly free. It isn't, and if you add in your time it is the same or more expensive.

when people ask me I just say no I don't have the time because I'm behind on my Reloading. Which isn't far from the truth.

Randy
    Yeah that's the thing I briefly contemplated doing it for a few people to show them how they could make better ammo and have a hobby. But, besides the safety and legal issues i woke up. it never works out to where they want to do it they just want the ammo with out putting any work in. These are also the same people who think they should be paid just for being at work.

I tell them i do this for fun. Not to save money. If i do it for you it is work. And it be cheaper to by factory ammo.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Banned

I offer to teach them.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I offer to teach them.
    Winner Winner

And I usually start them out on a Lee Turret press not the Dillon
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Time is money!

When you reload for yourself you harvest the benefit of cheap ammo.
    If you reload for another person he is harvesting the benefit and have to pay your salary.

When i tell how cheap i can make my own cartridges people cheer, but when i tell how long it takes and what equipment cost they get quiert quickly.

Ask them if they are willing to dig your garden or mowe your lawn and spend the same amount of time you have to invest in their reloads.

Boolit Master

I'll show 'em how to do it by reloading some ammo for myself, but if they want their own ammo, they need to provide the components and do the work. I'll help them set up the equipment and supervise, but they need to do the work. Of course, they better also bring beer... That's just polite, ya' know...

For someone you like tell them to bring their brass a pound of powder and some primers and you will let them use your equipment. Have not had any takers yet. Most people think reloading = free ammo for them.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

"No, wish I could but I don't have an FFL license to load for others. Tell you what though...I'll show you what you need to buy and come over to set it up for you and teach you to reload...hows that? You can make your own from then on."

Still no takers. The one time I made exception, 2 years back still hasn't brought back my .45Colt brass he promised to return.

I have taught and continue to teach 2 fellas though recently...At the time we were just plinking and having a good time, they weren't privy to the fact I reload...they brought up reloading and expressed that if they only knew someone that would teach them, they'd love it, said that they have been wanting to learn for years...so in this case I offered. Glad I did, these fellas now are in for the long haul...they are up to their noses in equipment just like the rest of us here.

Best thing to do is just keep it to yourself the fact that you load and cast...when you find one who expresses the desire, is willing to buy equipment, is sound of mind and spirit...well, there's a golden opportunity to make a difference in someones life.

As far as I'm concerned...the rest of them just want a free box of ammo.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Like others, I offer to teach. So far, two takers and maybe another soon. We'll see. I have given used equipment to one of them (Arisaka99 on this board, but not active now) and am set up to do the same again for someone who wants to load 38 Special.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast