Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: hollywood senior press question

Boolit Master

hollywood senior press question

bought a senior a couple years ago. haven't used it till today. bought it because i like vintage stuff. also have a c&h "H" press and a texan turret. my problem is with the senior. i have a couple hundred 303 british that were shot in large chambers; decided to full length size them in my rockchucker; pretty hard to size, so i decided to set up the hollywood. drilled holes in a 4 inch thick work bench; so its rock solid. here's the problem. it won't size the brass!! can only get the brass in all but the last 5/16 in ( right at the web). the die is set up so that the shell holder just bumps the bottom of the die. i had previously disassembled cleaned and re-painted the press. thought that i put the linkage together wrong. but just got off the internet (e-bay) looking at photo's of the linkage set up and mine is correct. maybe there is something that i'm missing?? correct me if i'm wrong; but, shouldn't a hollywood senior size eaiser than a rockchucker?? if this is true then something is together wrong. i did run a couple brass thru the hollywood that were f.l. sized in the rockchucker and they went in all the way but still with difficulty. sorry before anyone asks i can't do pictures yet. any help?

Boolit Master
    I haven't used a Hollywood but did view images of a Senior. My unqualified opinion is that when looking at the linkage, I don't see an example of compound leverage found in the RockChucker. I saw linkage similar to a CH H press. Yet, your press should have performed its full length resizing task. When Randy views your post, he'll be able to explain and clarify your problem.

Boolit Mold
    I think u have cylinder in backwards. It only goes in one way. I am restoring a senior and got mine in backwards. Cylinder is were handle attaches. Get a pic off internet that shows handle all the way up and u will tell if bars on each day end of cylinder are tilted the correct way. That's my 5 cents worth. Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hollywood Seniors have simple linkages similar to "C" and "H" type presses. The compound linkage on the Rockchucker multiplies the force as the compound swings past the bottom. The shorter linkage holes seen on the Hollywood (and the tiedown rod in the front, if it is there) give more leverage in order to use the Hollywood bullet swaging dies, but the increased force is gained by reducing the travel.

The Hollywood, and many of the heavier "C" presses were strong enough for case forming, and even casual swaging of bullets, but this is not to say they accomplished the task easily. The operator needed arms like Popeye to do much of such work.

If your cases are grossly swollen, they would be best done in two stages on the Rockchucker, with the die screwed partially out up to the last 3/8" or so, so the compound can swing all the way through, and then another trip through the die with it screwed all the way in. Use good lube like Imperial Sizing Wax, and relube the cases for each stage. You could do the same thing on the Hollywood, but it would be easier going on the Rockchucker.
    Last edited by Bent Ramrod; 11-23-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Though Hollywoods are my favorite presses, Bent Ramrod is correct. The Rockchucker will do full length resizing will less effort.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    thanks for the information guys. kind of what i thought. still don't like the effort required on the rock chucker; so, i just purchased a rcbs A-2 on e- bay. i wanted one anyway. the hollywood is nice to look at though.

Boolit Master

I dearly love my Senior, but it does have limitations. Mine is delegated to pulling bullets and priming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	181432
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    I use a First Model Hollywood senior. . Depending on the caliber. If your not using Original Hollywood Shellholder . Your ram will not Reach the Bottom of your die. The arms will Fully extent without Reach. . Some even with a new adaptor and a snap in You can't make It. . I have several Hollwood SH's. even the New repro 's. will not Make it.. when I mean originals. I mean The Tall body one's . or the rounded Top body. That are 5/8 to 3/4 inch in Height without the shank
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    salpal48:
    as stated in my original post; the shell holder "bumps" the bottom of the die. so,i have concluded that there is just not the leverage that modern presses have. while i am on this subject; i resized the 303 brass in my C & H "H" press. it was a little more difficult than the rockchucker; but, not buy much. funny, because the linkage systems are pretty much the same between the hollywood and the c&h.

Boolit Master

Yes, they are both old designs, designed in an era in which linkage was not used.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    my Senior Turret came with a snipe on the handle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    my Senior Turret came with a snipe on the handle.
    How do you use the handle with a bird sitting on it?

Perma-Banned A.K.A Castmast
    I was using a Lee 50 BMG press for my 50 loading. That is whenever I had the replacement parts on hand to keep it running. Machine gun brass I had was fired in oversized chambers. So much so they regularly broke or bent various parts on the Lee. Even doing it in steps was not a fix. I bought a Senior at a gunshow as I knew it wouldn't break. Step sizing with it is reliable and results in NO broken parts, NO down time and NO frustration!

Its not perfect for the task but its cheaper than the RCBS or Hornady and is cooler than them too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rundownbear View Post
    I was using a Lee 50?.............".......... I bought a Senior at a gunshow as I knew it wouldn't break. Step sizing with it is reliable and results in NO broken parts, NO down time and NO frustration!

Its not perfect for the task but its cheaper than the RCBS or Hornady and is cooler than them too!
    Cheaper? You must have got a killer deal. . Hollywood Seniors "average" about $250-300. Used Rockchuckers "average" about $100.

I whole heartedly agree on the Hollywood cool factor!
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 11-30-2016 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Typing
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE