Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: info on loading for the SKS

"last question, do lead particles and boolit lube get into the gas tube and gunk it up? if so is there a way to avoid it, and if not, how hard is it to take it apart and clean the gas tube and the 2 rods that are in it?" thanks, Travis

Travis, The answer is "it depends." My original NIB SKS deposited alloy on the front of the gas piston, but it was easily removed. My 2nd SKS, also a Type 56 and NIB, doesn't lead at all. Cleaning the operating rod, gas piston, and the associated tube which houses it is pretty easy. Btw, it's a good idea to lubricate the grooves, tip, and shaft of the gas piston to avoid lead deposition. Also, a good gun grease on the operating rod and bolt carrier.

Boolit Master
    Oklahoma Rebel,

I load 20 grains of IMR4198 behind the 130 grain RN cast boolit. Lyman says 22 grains is maximum. I am at the Starting Load and have reliable function and good accuracy.

Occasionally, I do clean the gas port with a straightened paper clip, clean the gas tube and wipe down both pistons, lube with CLP and keep on shooting.

Adam

I watched a video on u tube which showed how to take apart the gas tube and gas pistons, it is pretty easy, so I am going to check to see if I need to clean mine in the next day or two. and adam, what 130grain boolit are you referring to? have a good one, Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Try 20.0 gr to 21.0 gr of Reloader 7 under water dropped, Lee 312-155-2R boolit for about 1800 FPS.
    A deplorable that votes!

OK, will do. going to write it down or I will forget. thankyou!

oh, just got done looking through accurate mold's catalogue, the 31-170bg is exactly what I had kind of drawn up in my imagination! I think it would function ok, the flat nose is only .096, I don't know how to put a link up for it here but if you just look it up bby number you can see it. and only 98 bucks for a 2 cav, large size aluminum block! I think that's gonna be next years deer killer.

Boolit Master
    Oklahoma Rebel,

My SKS 130 grain plain base cast RN boolit is the Lyman #311410. I cast it out of OLD wheelweights, drop the boolits into a bucket of water, lube with Alox and use IMR4198 to send it down range.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 12-11-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Here's the 31-170BG. Looks to have a .180" flat nose...
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...31-170BG-D.png

I use this Harris design boolit by NOE...
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...q88flm7us2pkj6
    A deplorable that votes!

I have been eyeing the 31-155w, which is very similar but has a square groove, but the 170bg is also very cool. doesn't matter, it would be months before I can have the money for either so my little 312-155-2r lee is gonna have to do, if I can figure out how to get a .313 die for my star! my .311 is way too small for my gun.

Boolit Master

The 31-155W may not feed in your SKS!! I bought that mold not long ago, made up some dummies to check, and discovered that the big meplat would run into the chamber mouth/breech every single time! I will send you some, along with the others (per my offer), so that you may see for yourself.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

what about that 170 bg? I think it had a smaller meplat.

and thanks for the offer, it is very kind! if they don't want to work, they can always go to the mosin nagant!

Boolit Master

I don't know about the 170bg; I run the 316215B in my SKS. The COAL seems to be an issue. I will measure mine and see what it is. They fit into my Tapco magazine and feed just fine. I am using what I believe is termed 100% load density, in that the boolit sits right on top of the powder charge (1.4cc's of LeveRevolution). This load functions without fail . The meplat on the bullet may not be an issue if the boolit is long enough to get into the chamber without contacting the chamber edge, which is the problem I encountered with the 155W. This boolit also would not feed into either on my Enfields because of the same issue.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Hi Yodog. my 311284 I opend to .314" with the piston removed it's a beautiful streight- pull single shot & VERY accurate, 312-185 mag feed's good, so does 311291,my 1950 Tula has the spring loaded firing pin, which is copied in Texas & works fine in my typ. '56 Norinco , Fivefang

Boolit Master
    Oklahoma Rebel,

In one of your recent posts, I saw a question about a jacketed bullet load for the SKS. I stumbled on one which gave excellent accuracy, approximately 1" at 100 yards out of the one I was shooting. It was a Rem or Win 150gr .30-30 bullet seated just deep enough for reliable clearance in the mag over 26gr of AA 2015. The thin jacket and soft core of the .30-30 bullets allow obturation to full groove diameter at the heel and the weight/length is perfect for the twist rate. I don't know the velocity, but I was getting generous expansion on recovered examples. A soft-cast paper patched Lyman 311466 sized .311 also works very well over the same charge.

sierra has 125 and 150gr bullets, I think they are softpoint, but if they are they made it look nice for the pic, because it almost looks like grey paint. but they were talking about excellent expansion, so they must be softpoints. speer also has bullets for this cal too.

Boolit Buddy

My Lee Lee 312-155 usually throws closer to .310-.311 depending on alloy. I often use it as a plinking and zeroing bullet in my .308 bore rifles over seven grains of Bullseye. No resizing is necessary and I tumble lube with liquid Alox cut slightly with mineral spirits. It's a very light - and fairly accurate - plinker with such a light charge of fast powder. I use them plain based and at such lower power levels have not had leading problems. When zeroing a new scope and trying to get on the paper, I'll use these plinkers to get a zero at fifty or 60 feet and then move on to full powered loads with J-words to zero at further ranges. Works a treat.

Best regards
    Doc

well, I got a 313 lee sizing die, from a generous member here,and it just barely touches the **driving bands on most of mine. so it must be casting at 3125-3135. I got lucky because if it was smaller it woudnt work as well in my gun **edit I meant the bottom of the grooves
    Last edited by Oklahoma Rebel; 01-13-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Boolit Master

O.K., Rebel, here are some pics of my situation concerning the 31-155W, as well as the 316299 from NOE, and the 316215B from Accurate. I will try do do this in order, so bear with me; Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0584.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	183377 these are the side-by-side comparisons of the boolits in question, with seating depths. Herte is a pic of the -299 in the mag;Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0594.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	183378 as you can see, it is loaded to a length that fits to flush with the end of the follower. Here is a pic of the -215B; it is loaded to the same length.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0593.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	183380
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Boolit Master

Let's get this finished up; here are pics of the 31-155W in the magazine, smashed into the breech face, and the nose damage. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0590.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	183421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0591.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	183422 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0592.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	183423 So, even though they may not work/feed/function in my SKS, they may work in yours. I will get the boolits in the mail sometime this week. Take care!
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast