Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of these powders?

The Vihtavuori 3N37 is extruded but VERY small grains. Originally developed for .22LR loads. Flows like dream and excellent choice for 9mm.
    The Vihtavuori N350 grains are little bit bigger but it too works fine. I wouldn't hesitate using either.
    --------
    SISU

Boolit Master
    Another vote for figuring out what is wrong with your powder measure. I've never had an issue with Bullseye, Unique, 700x or Universal loading 9X19 in a progressive.

Boolit Master

YEP sounds like the old I have the wrong bar in my powder measure trick.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if your reloading press [powder dump] won't meter bulls-eye it has issues.
    I drop 3.0-3.1 consistently [spot checked over the last 10-k run] and I run the press smoothly.
    I hear if I shwang and bang it a bit it meters better.
    I also use Bullseye in my LnL. I had issues with consistent loads too but those problems went away after I removed the baffle.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Win 231. But I would look at you powder measure, bullseye has never given me problems in any powder measure I've used it in. Two different uniflows, the lee perfect powder measure, auto disc, auto disc pro,and the auto drum, or the lyman ideal 55.I use bullseye in all the non-magnum pistol and revolver stuff.

231 Is one of my Favorite powders for the 45 but not in 9mm. Autocomp works very well and is my go too powder for the 9mm and 380.
    HS6 and power pistol are also great powders that also meter well.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    YEP sounds like the old I have the wrong bar in my powder measure trick.

Excuse my ignorance, would you please explain?
    Last edited by icor1031; 11-23-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Sorry I see your edit now and you have a lock in load. Not sure how those work, however I have made the mistake on a dillon of forgetting to switch powder bars from magnum to normal. That will cause issues with powder being measured poorly.

I use a lot of bullseye and w231 and suspect even if you switch powder that will make no difference. Investigate your machine in detail.

It's been my experience, a slower burning powder (AA#7, power pistol etc) is going to let the powder drop meter better because you are going to be using larger/heavy charges. It's also gonna spray said powder all over the shell plate/primer feed when it indexes if you don't set a bullet on top as soon as it comes out of the powder drop. I use the pistol drum on the powder drop for small charges, anything below 5grs of any pistol powder.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Sorry I see your edit now and you have a lock in load. Not sure how those work, however I have made the mistake on a dillon of forgetting to switch powder bars from magnum to normal. That will cause issues with powder being measured poorly.

I use a lot of bullseye and w231 and suspect even if you switch powder that will make no difference. Investigate your machine in detail.
    Do you mean the cylinder that spins and collects the powder before it's dropped? I switched from the rifle to the pistol one.

Boolit Grand Master

If this is a new set up clean the measure with slcahol and lightly rub the drum and housing with graphite or molebneum when dryThen lightly wipe down with a dryer sheet. Reidual oilscan cause sticking charges along with static electricity. While it is apart for this also look for burrs and or rough surfaces.

Boolit Bub
    Country Gent,

It's not new. I've cleaned it twice with Hornady's degreaser+lube.

Everyone,

I bought Autocomp, rubbed the press with a dryer sheet and kept the sheet at the top of the hopper. I've gotten about 6 loads in a row to stay within ~0.5 grain.

I think it's good now! I still might run a ground wire to my press for redundancy.

Boolit Grand Master

1/2 grain (.5) isnt that good and can be a overpressure charge with fast powders in a smaller case like the 9mm. You should be dropping .1-.2 consistantly. Are yoou working the measure with the press or by hand? If by hand throw 100 charges noting each weight and see what it is consistancy wise. One thing volumne measeres need is consistancy of operation and a solid vibration free mounting. Im sure the measure will perform with use and a little tinkering learning curve. I normally throw pistol charges with an RCBS uniflow, dillons measures, or a homemade bushing type measure with in .1-.2 with .2 being the very rare one. I have never tried the belding and Mulls or Harrels with pistol powders. only rifle powders Set the measure up and the powder to be used and see what its doing try diffrent operating techniques also.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    1/2 grain (.5) isnt that good and can be a overpressure charge with fast powders in a smaller case like the 9mm. You should be dropping .1-.2 consistantly. Are yoou working the measure with the press or by hand? If by hand throw 100 charges noting each weight and see what it is consistancy wise. One thing volumne measeres need is consistancy of operation and a solid vibration free mounting. Im sure the measure will perform with use and a little tinkering learning curve. I normally throw pistol charges with an RCBS uniflow, dillons measures, or a homemade bushing type measure with in .1-.2 with .2 being the very rare one. I have never tried the belding and Mulls or Harrels with pistol powders. only rifle powders Set the measure up and the powder to be used and see what its doing try diffrent operating techniques also.
    I'm sorry, it was my mistake entirely - I meant 0.05 grain..
    I know +/-.5 is bad, that's about how much error I had with bullseye *eek*

Boolit Bub
    I guess the forum doesn't resize images ...

My setup, for the curious
    http://i.imgur.com/PnCZ0m2.jpg
    Last edited by icor1031; 11-24-2016 at 03:12 AM.

Boolit Master

Ive just started using AA #7 for my powder coated 147gr 9mm loads. I am using the new auto drum Lee measure and with this ball powder the measurements are exact from drop to drop. I mean EXACTLY the same when I measured every 10 rounds and loaded over 250... Also muzzle flash was minimal when shooting at night to test the loads.

Boolit Bub
    using a lnl here. aa no.7 meters very well. loaded a couple thousand 9 mm with powder checks every 10 or 15 loads. 1/10 variation is all i have ever seen. checking it on a ohaus 1005.

Well, in my own experience with some of the older RCBS and hornady measures, I too had trouble with bullseye and red dot. The flakes didn't like the rotor and would bind and smear between the housing and rotor.
    Switched to win231 and other similar styles and never looked back for the last 20 years in my rotor style measures and new LNL units.

Quote Originally Posted by icor1031 View Post
    I guess the forum doesn't resize images ...

My setup, for the curious
    http://i.imgur.com/PnCZ0m2.jpg
    i am sure you don't , but it is unwise to keep powder stored in your measure.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    i am sure you don't , but it is unwise to keep powder stored in your measure.
    I haven't been, but I wondered about that - I assumed the containers are dark for a reason.
    Or am I assuming and your reason is entirely different?