Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Possible 9mm problem.

Boolit Master

Possible 9mm problem.

Has anyone else run into Maxxtech brass? The case has an extremely thick sidewall from the web to the depth of bullet seating. The regular 9mm case weighs 60 grains the Maxxtech brass weighs 84 grains. I suspect a high pressure will occur with std reloading. Just a heads up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	181283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	181284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	181285
    Tim

Boolit Master

A member in a previous thread earlier this year articulated the same issue.

I have not run into these cases as of yet. Thanks for the warning though. One would certainly want to work up his loads carefully with those cases.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

It did indeed come up before, might try to search for the thread but I would throw it in the scrap bucket.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Moderator Emeritus

The upside to that brass is it makes it impossible to have a bullet seat deeper during recoil. The downside is it does have to be segregated and loaded with a much lower powder charge weight. I was given about 200 of them so have played a bit. Here is what I have learned.

1.) 147gr bullets wont work as they seat too long.

2.) Starting charges for the 90gr 380 work for the 115gr thompson cast and will cycle the action on most of my autos (albeit less than reliably on some).

3.) If worried about having these cases mixed in with others, select a powder that 85% or better fills a regular 9mm case and it will be a very visible overflow of one of these cases so they are easily culled.

4.) With the availability of other 9mm brass at next to nothing, they are at best a novelty and not worth it.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    I've loaded these with no problems. As mentioned above, heavy boolits will not seat deep enough. I've reloaded the same brass a few times. I don't load very hot. They're good for lost brass matches.

Boolit Master
    It's atypical 9mm brass, just put it in the scrap bucket and move on.

Boolit Master
    I had one like that a couple months ago, I think I put a picture in the other thread. It look just like your picture except the headstamp was ammoland.
    I eanded up inspecting over 1500 rounds and could not find another.

I had chronographed a few of these that got mixed in with a batch of reloaded 9mm. They were going faster, but not by much, and I wasn't up against the max charges anyway. I had the velocities posted in one of those other threads about it.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Lol. What is that, a .32acp stuck inside a 9mm?
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Man
    I put one of these in my Hornady resizing die and it suck. I have reloaded some that have a less aggressive support wall just fine. I didn't chrono and I didn't notice any difference in felt recoil or accuracy. Might they be reinforced like this to counteract the Glock bulge? Or to prevent a case from getting a higher pressure case stuck from case expansion? Or to prevent bullet set back? I also doubt it is an attempt to save money on powder as the additional brass and manufacturing probably costs more than the powder. I couldn't find their website to find an explanation.

Boolit Buddy

They are fine with standard loads, but I've seen.....incidents..... with people trying make Major loads in 9mm and one of these cases sneaking into their brass.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    The IMT's that I had looked like that but only weighed 65 gr. Someone else in the other thread suggested the step in the casing would be a weak point at some time and could separate.

As long as you know what you've got, and handle it properly.......

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the heads up. Bought the wife a 9mm carbine and 150 rounds of that ammo. It is boxer primed brass case at 9.99 a box at the LGS.

Boolit Man

Gents,

Speaking of higher pressures, check out the cratered primer loudly visible in one of the photographs.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Boolit Master
    Two names that should probably go permanently on the "AVOID!" list are MaxxTech and AMERC.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quoted from Enosforums:

"9mm brass made by forced extrusion rather than typical pressure drawing causes there to be that visible "ledge" about halfway down the case wall. It's just cheaper to make them using a forced extrusion method. You can experience the separation that looks like a cleanly cut case. This is less common in typical breech lock service pistols and more common in blow back designs such as the 9mm AR uppers. Freedom Munitions, Maxxtech, IMT, Ammoland - some of the ones that make these. Just one more thing to look for to cull out of your brass for reloads.
    It's not for bullet setback. The step is just an artifact from the manufacturing process."