Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 H335 Leading Issue

30-30 H335 Leading Issue

I found several people using H335 for their 30-30 loads. Im shooting a marlin micro groove. I was shooting WW water dropped 170 grain .311 but they wouldnt chamber, switched to 309. I loaded up 23.4, 26, and 28 grain loads. 23.4 had some leading, the other 2 a lot of leading. THey were 1730 fps, 1967, and the third was about 2100.

Any ideas on why they are leading?
    If you're 'gonna do it, do it right - Aim small, miss small - Don't Tread on Me

Too high of a chamber pressure for your alloy. Try reducing your loads or powder coat your bullets instead.

I just started shooting cast boolits in my Marlin 336A (microgroove barrel) My best cast boolit load is 26gns. of H335 under a 165gn. boolit.
    Haven't chronyed it yet but I'd estimate it's getting somewhere around 1900fps.
    I'm using Lyman #2 alloy with no leading with powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan61 View Post
    Too high of a chamber pressure for your alloy. Try reducing your loads or powder coat your bullets instead.

I just started shooting cast boolits in my Marlin 336A (microgroove barrel) My best cast boolit load is 26gns. of H335 under a 165gn. boolit.
    Haven't chronyed it yet but I'd estimate it's getting somewhere around 1900fps.
    I'm using Lyman #2 alloy with no leading with powder coating.
    What are you sizing to?

Boolit Master
    The Micro-Groove 336 I just worked with had a tight spot in the barrel right in front of the chamber. After firelapping, it is gone, and the rest of the bore is much smoother. I loaded 178 grain air cooled WW boolits with 34.5 grains of Leverevolution powder, and got over 2,100 fps. with no leading at all. You didn't mention lube, that makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    The Micro-Groove 336 I just worked with had a tight spot in the barrel right in front of the chamber. After firelapping, it is gone, and the rest of the bore is much smoother. I loaded 178 grain air cooled WW boolits with 34.5 grains of Leverevolution powder, and got over 2,100 fps. with no leading at all. You didn't mention lube, that makes a big difference.
    Using Lee alox

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    What's firelapping

Quote Originally Posted by ProudOkie View Post
    What are you sizing to?
    I size them to .312"
    I slugged my barrel and got a .3095" groove dia.

I didn't firelap but I used these with JB bore paste to smooth out my barrel:
    http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...839-33123.aspx
    Last edited by Morgan61; 11-22-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    What's firelapping
    Short version is you roll some lead boolits between 2 steel plates with some valve lapping compound, which embeds the compound on the boolits. These are loaded over a light charge of fast powder and fired at low velocities. The compound takes out any high spots or roughness in a bore. I have had excellent results doing it and will continue to use it when needed. It's not a fast process. You should be able to find a better worded and more technical version of firelapping here on the forum.

Before you do any thing else, I would try a better lube. If you don't have a luber, you can easily hand rub a good lube on enough boolits to try. If your leading goes away, you have found your problem

Banned

Are gas checks being used?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    I've never shot a GC design without checks, so I always forget to ask that.. I know some people do. Yeah, fairly fast, Alox and no check wouldn't be a great combo Lets see what the OP says.

Boolit Master
    Try sizing to .309, using 50/50 lube like White's Lube, use gas checks, and keep MV below 2000fps. I shoot mine in both the Marlin and Winchester rifles. They do just fine with no leading. What specific bullet are you casting?

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Attachment 181273
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 11-22-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    I use gas checks.

Boolit Master

in my 30-30 model 340savage I have been shooting 180 gr cast/GC sized .311 with 748 at 2000 fps with no leading. good groups at both50 and at 100 yds
    Attachment 181274Attachment 181275
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Try sizing to .309, using 50/50 lube like White's Lube, use gas checks, and keep MV below 2000fps. I shoot mine in both the Marlin and Winchester rifles. They do just fine with no leading. What specific bullet are you casting?

Attachment 181273
    Shooting Lee 309 170 grain sized 309 and gas checks. So odd

Boolit Master
    Shooting Lee 309 170 grain sized 309 and gas checks. So odd
    The LEE 170 is the exact boolit I was using. Assuming you aren't trying to shoot them bare, (no GC), It's either rough/constricted bore, undersized boolits, or poor lube. Just start with the easiest to try and work from there. Lube is easy to check, size is next, then bore problems.

Well I'm tumble lubing them in a lox
    , how would I know of I'm doing that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post

Attachment 181273
    Using the Lee 309 170 grainfp

Boolit Grand Master
    Change one thing at a time or you will never know for sure what the fix was.

For my money, I am betting the Lee Liquid Alox is at fault. If you don't have a lubrisizer, I would try hand lubing a few (just smear it on with your fingers) with a different wax based lube. This could be as simple as a 50/50 mix of beeswax and shortening. If that fixes your problem, then buy or make a better lube.

Robert

Boolit fit. You're probably sizing the boolit too small. Gasses are blowing by, gas cutting the sides and ironing lead to your bore.

You should have no problems chambering a boolit sized to .311". Using too hard of a crimp will bulge the case neck slightly, preventing the round from chambering.

The case necks need to be expanded or belled out enough to accept the boolit without shaving. The shaving reduces the size of the boolit and blows the shavings down the barrel ahead of the boolit. I try for the full thickness of the gas check for the depth of the bell.

Boolits must be hard enough to go down the barrel without spinning off from the rifling during acceleration. Are you waiting for boolits to age harden after casting and water dropping?
    A deplorable that votes!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Boolit fit. You're probably sizing the boolit too small. Gasses are blowing by, gas cutting the sides and ironing lead to your bore.

You should have no problems chambering a boolit sized to .311". Using too hard of a crimp will bulge the case neck slightly, preventing the round from chambering.

The case necks need to be expanded or belled out enough to accept the boolit without shaving. The shaving reduces the size of the boolit and blows the shavings down the barrel ahead of the boolit. I try for the full thickness of the gas check for the depth of the bell.

Boolits must be hard enough to go down the barrel without spinning off from the rifling during acceleration. Are you waiting for boolits to age harden after casting and water dropping?
    O no. I was just water dropping and loading them the next day or two. How long should I wait? I tried .311 and it wouldnt fit in the gun. Maybe I went too far to 309 should have gone 310

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast