Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanksgiving !!

Moderator Emeritus

Now THAT is the attitude for Thanksgiving, Mary! It really CAN be done, if both parties are just willing.

My son smoked a turkey and a ham yesterday, and gee golly wow was it GOOD! Also had my wife's great dressing, my DIL's sis brought a really good sweet potato soufle, had green bean casserole (one of my fave's!), a squash casserole that was really great, butter beans, and I can't remember what all else. I did good, and didn't overeat TOO badly. Everybody got plates to take home and warm up later for supper, and it was still at least as good! My favorite warmup is warmed up turkey with BBQ sauce. Kind'a gives it a really neat and scrumptious change of taste with the sauce! But not having over-eaten like I have traditionally done, I forewent the BBQ sauce, and just enjoyed another great meal. Everything traditionally Thanksgiving seems to be at least as good warmed over as it was when piping hot. That's kind'a fitting for the purpose of the day and the meal, I think. Thanks is always as good "warmed over" as it was originally.

I was at peace with the whole world for a day. Thank the Lord for that. We all need these brief interludes sometimes.

Not everyone at my house likes turkey so we have chicken fried steak with all the fixins. My wife does a good each time she makes it and I always eat too much, which makes me grateful to have sweat pants.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus

well, it was a trip to visit my friends at their Veggie farm for Turkey, stuffing, cranberry-orange relish, blended yukon potatoes-gravy, Green beans with pearl onions/mushrooms[was the best], and a cherry shortcake.

this group has mixed political views, the Farmer[my best friend] and I are the most outspoken [conservative] and everyone else are varied levels of liberal. The most outspoken liberal [farmer's sister who is retired from teaching] tells me, I got 30 seconds to gloat, and not one second more ...we all laughed and politics never came back up in the conversation again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

It's Sunday, and I (my belly) is STILL taking in THANKSGIVING!! LOL..... It thanks me every time! I made the pheasant in a small cast iron descoware roaster, and I stuffed it with onions, celery, carrots, and I roasted it in a juice made with roasted chicken broth, pinot grigio and orange juice, I put the giblets down in this liquid, I stuffed big chunks of herbed butter under the skin on the breast, and after roasting I had this pot full of liquid so I turned it all into pheasant gravy.. O MY is it ever GOOD!! But gravy doesn't freeze well so I am being forced to eat it until it's gone, yeah yeah I know, what a sad fate huh?

And then there is that pecan pie but we won't even go there..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about you all, but the warmed overs for a few days after are just as good if not better than the feast day! My favorite, usually, is turkey with BBQ sauce! Some dressing and maybe some sweet potato soufle, and whatever looks good and appealing, and ya' got ANOTHER lil' private feast AGAIN! Dressing, I think, like many dishes with a lot of mixed up ingredients, gets better when warmed up! I love food like that!

And my son's smoked turkey and ham was even better when warmed up, too! Must be the real smoked flavor??? What are your favorite left-overs?

Boolit Grand Master

We ran out of leftovers yesterday. But w/ only smoking a breast it's to be expected. Apple pie and bread only made it to lunch on Friday. Doesn't matter what it is. It all tastes great warmed up.

Moderator Emeritus

Lets see, Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed, Friday... same, Sat. turkey rice soup, Sunday turn leftover soup into a fried rice because the rice soaked up all the broth... and I ran out of pumpkin pie tonight...

Moderator Emeritus

Leftovers? sadly none for me.
    As a single guy with many friends, I always travel for the holidays, I usually bring something, last thursday I brought cocktail shrimp for hors d'oeuvres...I think some were not eaten? I, of course, left them there.

Last year [or the previous year?], weather didn't permit me to leave town on Thanksgiving. I walked to a local Church for a Thanksgiving feast prepared by many churches and other civic organizations for those who have no where else to go [no donation was asked for, but any donations offered went to the local food shelf]. There were about 150 people, served buffet style ...a neat thing and good turnout for a town the size of Glencoe. It was great to have the fellowship of many people from my hometown, who I'd normally never have the opportunity to fellowship with.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I'm making turkey hash tonight , rest of the turkey goes in the freezer for stir fry , curry or whatever . I got a big a turkey wanting the leftover . Dosen't take any more effort to cook a larger bird , just time .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

Jon that is why I have always opened my doors to whoever in town had nowhere to go. Some years I have had 20 people, this year just 3. In this small of a town we all know each other so helping out is a given.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12