WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Powder scoop?

Boolit Master

Powder scoop?

I have a T/C .32 I would like to tinker with, I have patches, RBs, and a pound of Swiss 3f. What I do not have is a powder measure. Can anyone tell me of a cartridge case, or LEE powder scoop that I could use for a temporary measure that will hold 20-25 grains of 3F? Thank you, much appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Take a regular measure, fill to the amount you want, take a piece of deer antler and drill/grind it out, in a funnel shape, till it holds the amount desired! Then drill a hole in the bottom solid for a lanyard, to hang from your possible bag or around your neck. I filed/sanded a small groove in the lip to make the powder pour easily.

dubber123, This was shamelessly copied and pasted from the Traditional Muzzleloading Association site:

Not sure where I got it as its been hanging out on my computer for awhile.
    The bottleneck cases like the .30-30 and .30-06 must have the smaller mouth diameter and the taper removed leaving a straight walled case.

Cartridge Grains
    .22 LR = 5
    .320 ACP = 7
    .380 ACP = 10
    .30 cal Carbine = 20
    .38 Special = 23
    .357 Mag = 27
    .45 Auto = 26
    .44 Colt = 35
    .45 Colt = 41
    .38-40 = 40
    .30-30 = 42
    .30-06 = 70
    .45-70 = 83

Btw, I'd take some of those volumes with a grain of salt as there's no way you can get 83gr. FFFg or FFg in a .45-70 case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    dubber123, This was shamelessly copied and pasted from the Traditional Muzzleloading Association site:

Not sure where I got it as its been hanging out on my computer for awhile.
    The bottleneck cases like the .30-30 and .30-06 must have the smaller mouth diameter and the taper removed leaving a straight walled case.

Cartridge Grains
    .22 LR = 5
    .320 ACP = 7
    .380 ACP = 10
    .30 cal Carbine = 20
    .38 Special = 23
    .357 Mag = 27
    .45 Auto = 26
    .44 Colt = 35
    .45 Colt = 41
    .38-40 = 40
    .30-30 = 42
    .30-06 = 70
    .45-70 = 83

Btw, I'd take some of those volumes with a grain of salt as there's no way you can get 83gr. FFFg or FFg in a .45-70 case.
    Excellent! Thank you very much, looks like a 30 Carbine or 38 Spl will get me in the ballpark. I like the idea of the antler measure also, and I may just do that once I dial in a load.

I use a 38 special case for my .32

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Banned

for working up a load, a brass dynamic measure to 120 grains in 5 grain increments is SO nice to have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    for working up a load, a brass dynamic measure to 120 grains in 5 grain increments is SO nice to have.
    I should pick one up, my current one starts at 60 grains, and I don't think the old Cherokee would appreciate that much

Banned

One of the best things I ever bought when I started reloading is one of the Lee powder scoop sets that has the little slide rule thing for figuring out which scoop throws. I think it cost seven bucks new and I have found all sorts of uses for it over the years. I don't think you could go wrong buying one and spending some time tinkering with it to see what works in your rifle.

Who the heck uses 83gr in a 45/70. You must be using some real girlie boolits.

38 Special case is a good place to start, you can always cut it down if it holds to much.
    Install a spent prime backwards, or JP weld the primer hole shut.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I use a pre measured Charger/s for my big bores 45 & 54 cals which I bought from Track of the wolf. (Primarily used in the woods when hunting.) Although pre-set to a measured charging my store bought Charger/s still required a bit of hand filing some to accommodate my rifles most accurate preferred charging of 2-FFG. So it matters not what you use for a Charger just so long as it able to be hand trimmed to measure your rifles preferred charging. (For either conical/ ball intended use.)
    As far as a modern cartridge case. Something that throws 30-50grs that can be trimmed for a in-between charge would work good for P/Ball or Maxi. I would try measuring a 30-30 brass first. Tapered neck (what ever is left after its trimming) would act as a bore funnel and too the cartridge neck is probably large enough to accept a horns pouring spout. But to check and fine tune a Charges accuracy you need to have a typical B/P Volume slide measurer for that purpose.
    Last edited by OverMax; 11-22-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

No, for real black you need a scale. Always check your volume measure with a scale.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...ct/Dippers.pdf

3F powder a 1.3 dipper = 20.7 grains

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aephilli822 View Post
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...ct/Dippers.pdf

3F powder a 1.3 dipper = 20.7 grains
    Thats a handy chart, thanks Now I just have to remember where my dipper kit is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Who the heck uses 83gr in a 45/70. You must be using some real girlie boolits.

38 Special case is a good place to start, you can always cut it down if it holds to much.
    Install a spent prime backwards, or JP weld the primer hole shut.
    I use 80gr. in my 45-70 behind 535gr. bullets. Of course they are paper patched and only in the case about .100".

I agree, a 38 spl case works for both of my 32 cal rifles. A 9mm case makes a good close range squirrel load, about like a 22LR velocity wise.

-Nobade

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    a .32 TC with its 30 twist is accurate with anything from 10-35 grains. ( maybe more, but thats all ive tried, I have 3) Most every other .32 is 48 twist, and much more finicky. Ive found most 48 twist settle in about 22 grains in .32 cal