WidenersLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black out ????

Now on the rifle itself.

DO NOT think you can shoot sub sonic and super sonic out of the same upper, you can NOT.

For super sonic, you need a 16 inch carbine barrel, 1/8 twist is the middle of the road, works well with 110-140gr pills. , 1/9 twist for 80-110gr pills.
    You want a carbine gas tube, and all the rest can be standard AR parts.

Now lets talk sub sonic.

The shorter the barrel the better, 8.5 to 9.5 inches is best. 1/7 twist for the 190-250gr, 1/8 twist for the 150-210gr pills. You can use the heavier ones (we do) but the group opens a tad.
    You must have a pistol gas tube, lighted bolt carrier (love the Sharps BCG). Pistol buffer and tube.

In the above configuration we shoot 225gr cast (Lee's mold designed for 300bo). They shoot with 10gr of Reloader 7, about 1080-1120fps. They cycle fine.

With my super sonic set up, I have to use 12 gr of Reloader 7, just to get it to cycle, which breaks the sound barrier barely at 1175-1230fps.

For super sonic, which is what I built our two ARs to shoot.
    They shoot 110gr at just under 2400fps, 125gr Speer TNTs at 2150fps. 150gr M80 pulls at 1750fps.
    Our mainstay is the Speer 125 TNT. Out to 300 yards, dang accurate
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    Well, I certainly didn't intend to start anything here. Let me put it this way. I'll soon be 74 years old and haven't seen it all by a long shot. I have a pair of pump up BB rifles and like me they are old and tired. but, that small round ball will still hit the paper where I want it to hit. So it has earned a place in my stable. I have a pair of .22 revolvers that must have cost every bit of $12. each brand new. They will never win a trophy for anything. But they are mine and I do shoot them for fun sometimes. So they have a place also. I can go on to the .22 rifles I bought to help my grand children learn how to shoot safely and accurately. My most favorite of all is my Rem 29, 12 ga pump. My wife gave it to me on our first anniversary when I was in the Air Force. So it has a place for ever. Yes I love my Winchester 94 and people talk down about my Hi Point 9mm carbine, but I like it. There are others, some older, some a bit newer, none expensive. I would love to buy one each of everything that Henry Rifles have for sale, but that will never happen. I have some that hurt my shoulder when I shoot them. But they all have a place and purpose. I haven't seen it all and never will, but I don't plan on stopping at something new. All of the great cartridges had to start somewhere and I'll bet there were some that would try to put those down also. The blackout may come to live in my stable, or it may not. I also have to factor in my age and monthly income. Right now all I can say is I will look at it and judge for myself. ( for I know not what tomorrow will bring)
    shaper
    The 300blk will never bruise your shoulder up. It's a pretty soft shooting round, and like others have said it can be cheap to reload if you do it all yourself. I can buy 5.56 blanks for about $30 per 1k, and the $20 chop saw from Harbor Freight makes short work of it. And it uses very little gunpowder. Honestly, the most expensive thing you would be into is the suppressor if you got one. I have a cheap and dirty Radical firearms upper on a lower I built, but it's accurate as all get out.

I enjoy every aspect of reloading, including brass prep, so to me the extra time is worth it to me. Helps me unwind doing monotonous prep after using my head all day lol. If you are into that as well, you'll like the 300blk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Now on the rifle itself.

DO NOT think you can shoot sub sonic and super sonic out of the same upper, you can NOT.

For super sonic, you need a 16 inch carbine barrel, 1/8 twist is the middle of the road, works well with 110-140gr pills. , 1/9 twist for 80-110gr pills.

Now lets talk sub sonic.

The shorter the barrel the better, 8.5 to 9.5 inches is best. 1/7 twist for the 190-250gr, 1/8 twist for the 150-210gr pills. You can use the heavier ones (we do) but the group opens a tad.
    You must have a pistol gas tube, lighted bolt carrier (love the Sharps BCG). Pistol buffer and tube.

In the above configuration we shoot 225gr cast (Lee's mold designed for 300bo). They shoot with 10gr of Reloader 7, about 1080-1120fps. They cycle fine.

With my super sonic set up, I have to use 12 gr of Reloader 7, just to get it to cycle, which breaks the sound barrier barely at 1175-1230fps.

They shoot 110gr at just under 2400fps, 125gr Speer TNTs at 2150fps. 150gr M80 pulls at 1750fps.
    I've never heard this before. I have a 10.5" upper on a pistol gas tube with a 1/8, and it shoots subs and supers easily and accurately. Everything else is the same, including buffer and bcg. I'm using the spikes T2 buffer with a WMD Nickel boron bcg. I've never had a problem.

Boolit Master

Now on the rifle itself.

Now lets talk sub sonic.

You most certainly can shoot both in the same rifle, in fact I can load every other round sub/super and it will function just fine in all 3 of our 300 BO uppers. 2 16" carbine gas and 1 8.5" SBR with or without suppressor. This is by design. Granted the loads I build for my 7.5" suppressed encore pistol won't function any of the AR's, but they aren't supposed to.

1-8" will stabilize even my 245gr cast perfectly. I've been shooting the 300 BO for several years now and my experience is rather different than yours apparently.

Boolit Mold
    30-30 semi automatic with 30 round magazine. Buy a complete upper and have two ARs

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

You certainly can shoot subs and supers out of the same upper. It may not be optimized for both but it will run them. Plenty of people doing it so to say you can't do it is a foolish statement.

Boolit Buddy
    Most of the high points have been hit. Uses standard AR mags, can get complete powder burn in a smaller barrel, bigger heavier bullet, parent brass is 5.56x45 and an easy change, can run subsonic (some claim accuracy benefit at longer ranges because you're not crossing the sound barrier twice), more cast friendly, a little nicer for people with silencers.

I know some people who despise AK style magazines and still want 7.62x39 like ballistics and this kind of fits that bill. Personally I don't have an AR and it's not on my list of "need to acquire" guns. That said I'd be more likely to pick up an AR in .300 BLK than I would be in 5.56. That's just my opinion, plenty of people love the 5.56 I'm just not among them. To me the main thing going for it is ease of compatibility. The standard mags and 5.56 parent brass are big pluses but I'm not running out looking for one.

For those that haven't discovered .300 Blackout yet, tread carefully. This is the very cartridge that put me on the NFA pathway and has cost a small fortune in tax stamps. Now about the only guns I'm interested in are those that I can convert to a SBR and/or use with a suppressor.
    Keep moving forward!

Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    For those that haven't discovered .300 Blackout yet, tread carefully. This is the very cartridge that put me on the NFA pathway and has cost a small fortune in tax stamps. Now about the only guns I'm interested in are those that I can convert to a SBR and/or use with a suppressor.
    Haha it is a dangerously slippery slope. I already want another suppressor. I'm not overly fond of the SBR path though, because I live right on the border of Michigan and Ohio, and am too lazy to file paperwork to travel between states. Perhaps if I lived further north and didn't have that concern.

Boolit Grand Master

The 300 Whisper was originally made by J.D. Jones by opening up 221 Fireball cases to 30 caliber. He had many other versions of different calibers also. Since JD kept it proprietary the 300 BO was created and is very similar but has small changes in dimensions. Some guns can shoot either, some can't.
    I do like most people and cut down 223 Rem to form my cases. I have shot bullets weighing from 85gr to 240grs. My deer hunting load is W296 with a 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in front of it.
    This is an excellent cartridge and makes what used to be called a "woods loafing" rifle. I could probably take an elk with it but prefer something heavier for that. Does great on deer, rabbits, etc.

Banned

everyone talks about the AR's but the round comes in a 16" bolt gun too.
    or is simple to make from a 223 rifle just by changing the barrel.
    I would go with the 7 twist if given the choice.

the LEE 240gr boolit on top of a pinch of fast powder is quiet/accurate enough without the suppressor and I don't have any functioning issues.
    or I just lower the boolit weight, the 311359 for the 30 carbines does just fine over the same powder amount but is a bit faster.
    it's a bit pointy but squirrels don't complain too much, if I need to shoot grouse or bunny's I switch to the rcbs 32-098 rnfp [plain base] still on top of 4 grs of fast powder.
    when I need to get out there for 200yd p-dog shooting I swap out to the horn V-max or the nosler varmageddon and up the powder to the 2400 burn area, this gives me a much overweight 22 hornet.
    the list goes on and on.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Attachment 181227

In the rifle its almost disgustingly easy to pop gongs out to 250 (as far as I've tried) with either the Lee 155 or the NOE MX2 http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1857 with the red dot. The AR pistol is just flat fun any way you run it, and 60 rounds of nightstand firepower is pretty powerful mojo.

In Illinois its one of two bottleneck cartridges legal for firearm deer hunting, and it's a dandy with 110-130 grain bullets, as has been said. The CVA Scout II is very comfortable even with the hottest loads of 110/296. I had to take a dremel to the grip where it bit into the top of the index finger, but after that it was a pussycat.

The BLK will be the first semi I introduce my Grandsons to after they get comfortable with the single shots.

A fad? Maybe. We go through fads every generation or two, this one will be sticking around I think,,,,,.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Now on the rifle itself.

Now lets talk sub sonic.

ive got a 16" 1/6 twist that shoots both just fine

i also have a 9" 1/6 twist that shoots both just fine

the 300 BLK is very efficient and burns most powder in 8" of barrel
    length which is why it doesn't lose as much as the 5.56 when you SBR the thing.

I have mine in a single shot Handi Rifle, no suppressor but with a 90 grain boolit over 3-5 grains of Red Dot it is cheap to make, accurate, quiet, and a good option to replace .22lr which is still iffy at times if you are brand fussy.

Fun gun, not one that I shoot a ton but with 16.5 inch barrel it is quick and light to carry.

If the govt ever drops this tax stamp for suppressor silliness I'd put one on it. Yeah its threaded. Cost me a whole 220$ 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

If the govt ever drops this tax stamp for suppressor silliness I'd put one on it. Yeah its threaded. Cost me a whole 220$ 2 years ago.
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the HPA to go anywhere. After 80+ years I doubt the ATF will ever remove suppressors from the NFA registry since it is a substantial income source. Even if you submit paperwork and get denied, they collect interest on your $200 for months before sending you a refund. Right now I have 7 pending stamps and anticipate one will be rejected due to an error on my part when I submitted the paperwork. This was paid via credit card months ago but I probably won't see a refund until next year.

In the end you have to pay if you want to play.
    Keep moving forward!

Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the HPA to go anywhere. After 80+ years I doubt the ATF will ever remove suppressors from the NFA registry since it is a substantial income source. Even if you submit paperwork and get denied, they collect interest on your $200 for months before sending you a refund. Right now I have 7 pending stamps and anticipate one will be rejected due to an error on my part when I submitted the paperwork. This was paid via credit card months ago but I probably won't see a refund until next year.

In the end you have to pay if you want to play.
    I've been mulling over if I want to pick up another suppressor, or wait to see if they pass that HPA. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Attachment 181227

In the rifle its almost disgustingly easy to pop gongs out to 250 (as far as I've tried) with either the Lee 155 or the NOE MX2 http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1857 with the red dot. The AR pistol is just flat fun any way you run it, and 60 rounds of nightstand firepower is pretty powerful mojo.

In Illinois its one of two bottleneck cartridges legal for firearm deer hunting, and it's a dandy with 110-130 grain bullets, as has been said. The CVA Scout II is very comfortable even with the hottest loads of 110/296. I had to take a dremel to the grip where it bit into the top of the index finger, but after that it was a pussycat.

The BLK will be the first semi I introduce my Grandsons to after they get comfortable with the single shots.

A fad? Maybe. We go through fads every generation or two, this one will be sticking around I think,,,,,.
    With respect to the bold part, I did NOT know that.

I am assuming that is only for like T C Contenders during handgun season, right?

Boolit Master
    Mine is an H&R Handi-Rifle, and I use it like a .32-20, except with common and cheap brass.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Attachment 181227

Ours are similar to yours, 1 16" upper, 1 8.5" SBR and a 7.5" Encore pistol, with suppressor.

Banned
    Don't buy a 300 blackout!!! I will give a simple reason and that is they multiply like rabbits. I started with one that I put together and I made the mistake of asking the wife if she wanted to shoot it. Well, she put about 6 rounds thru it turned around to me and told me she wanted me to put one together for her. The score is now 2 &2 with her owning a very nasty one with a 20 power scope and comp trigger. Her other is a stainless with a red dot. She is capable of 3/4" groups at 100 yards any day of the week with her scoped 300. I get tired of some of the morons at the range coming up to her asking if the 300 is capable of 200 yd shooting. Yes, they are. All the 300's I've put together have pistol length gas systems and all will shoot subsonic as well as suppressed without a hickup. So, I will have to say no to having a different length gas system for suppressed and or subsonic. My buddy tried his suppressor on the 300 to see functionality simply because of all the BS that is out there.So don't buy a 300 blk because you will find yourself making your own brass, loading up thousands of rounds and enjoying the hell out of it. PS, my adams arms 5.56 spends all its time on the shelf gathering dust now so I will probably have to sell it to put together more 300's.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast