Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black out ????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    Ok, I finally get it. Cheap shooting in a caliber I like. And I think I have everything on hand except the black rifle. Looks like I'll be doing some shopping. Got to check in on the suppressor though. Do I need a permit to use one?
    Yup, cheap, cast friendly and very usable.

Assuming you're in the US, then the permit isn't for usage, but rather ownership. The "Tax Stamp" for the suppressor is $200, and requires a background check before approval (seem to be taking about 8 months at the moment). It's a PITA, and probably unconstitutional, but it's the law. Some states don't allow private ownership, most do.

Once you own the suppressor, there is no maintenance fee or anything like that, it's just a once and done deal with the tax stamp.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    Got to check in on the suppressor though. Do I need a permit to use one?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Perma-Banned
    a gimmick cartridge that serves no real purpose other than to make the ammo & gun companies tons of money.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    a gimmick cartridge that serves no real purpose other than to make the ammo & gun companies tons of money.
    Oh, like the .32-40, or 38-55 or 32-20 or 25-20 or 357 Maximum or 7mm TCU or 8mm Remington Magnum or 22-.250 or .220 Swift or 22 Hornet or well you pick all the other "gimmick Cartridges" that are still around to make gun companies money.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I have to concur that the Ruger American Ranch is a real handy rifle in the caliber. The local Cabelas has a used one on the shelf with a scope and brake for $350 and it's mighty tempting.

The round is one I'm a bit fan of. I think it's the .30-30 of this generation, and with a decent chance of the HPA passing its suppressor-friendliness will certainly help the popularity. The other thing it does very well is function from a short barrel. While even .30-30 becomes a real handful below a 14" barrel, the .300BO can achieve a full burn in under 10", and some companies are getting decent ballistics with 8 and 9" barrels. I have a 9" barreled AR with a brake and standard carbine stock (magpul MOE) and the whole gun is about 24" long, and with the suppressor on it is just over 32" long. That's a real short gun, but still hits like a champ. I'm planning an 10" barrel on an Encore in the Blackout, and expect the overall length to be under 25" on that as well.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Oh, like the .32-40, or 38-55 or 32-20 or 25-20 or 357 Maximum or 7mm TCU or 8mm Remington Magnum or 22-.250 or .220 Swift or 22 Hornet or well you pick all the other "gimmick Cartridges" that are still around to make gun companies money.

more like an anemic 7.62 by 39 only not as versatile or utile.

I don't have a horse in this race (yet), but I think a guy should take the time to learn as much about something as he can before forming an opinion. If you take a look at the video below, at the 6:39 timestamp, he states that the 300 AAC has 17% more energy at 300 meters than the 7.62 does. Anemic? Not so much. The 300 AAC is much more versatile than the 7.62; just watch the video. It really is worth taking the time to watch. Honestly, I had pre-judged the 300 AAC as you have. I wanted nothing to do with it, thought it was a fad, a useless cartridge, etc. Now after watching around 5 hours of video and doing about 10 hours of reading up on it, it's made the short list of my "to be bought soon" calibers. Well, and getting to shoot a sub sonic and suppressed 300 AAC at the local range helped a bit, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Short version it's a shortened 223 openned up to 30 caliber and designed to be used in an AR15 rifle.

Long version
    It's the SAAMI registered improved 300 Whisper designed by AAC under Kevin and Robert as improvement on J.D.Jones original design for US Army tests for cartridge for use as super and subsonic military rifle.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout
    uses bullet from 110 to 250 grains - similar performance to 7.62x39 or .30-30

Cast Boolit friendly
    Last edited by Phlier; 11-22-2016 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Corrected video time stamp

Boolit Master
    How is it more anemic?

How does the range of 90gr to 240gr offer less utility than the 7.62x39's 108-174gr? Not to mention the availability of higher-BC .308-bore loads.

I think you may be making the common error of only looking at the 208gr subsonic target loads.

Vendor Sponsor

Blackout in a Ruger American shooting 247 gr HPs in 50/50 alloy loads at 1425 fps are deer/hog stoppers at 0-150 yds
    Same rd in AR running sub 1050fps and a suppressor is pure fun, deadly and ear friendly
    I know of what I speak
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

and the 762x39 has been responsible for sending more people to meet there maker then any other rifle made. I don't have a blackout but if its runs in the same neighborhood as a 762x39 or a 3030 I cant see how anyone can say theres no use for it. Lots of us just like playing with different things. I'm not going to spend my whole life shooting 44 mags and 3006s even though there my favorite guns and will honestly cover any hunting if you throw in a 22lr. . Shooting a suppressed AR or even one not suppressed will put a smile on anyones face and isn't that what this hobby is about.

Boolit Master

The 300 BO is a fad and gimmick cartridge.

And I am a big fan.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    and the 762x39 has been responsible for sending more people to meet there maker then any other rifle made. I don't have a blackout but if its runs in the same neighborhood as a 762x39 or a 3030 I cant see how anyone can say theres no use for it. Lots of us just like playing with different things. I'm not going to spend my whole life shooting 44 mags and 3006s even though there my favorite guns and will honestly cover any hunting if you throw in a 22lr. . Shooting a suppressed AR or even one not suppressed will put a smile on anyones face and isn't that what this hobby is about.
    Lloyd, I would suppose it's beaten by the muzzle loading rifle, and possibly by the muzzle loading musket, but that is questionable.

As far as the Blackout - I have two 30-30's and no AR's. I'm satisfied.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    The 300 BO is a fad and gimmick cartridge.

And I am a big fan.

You may be right. Only time will tell.

However, I have been watching this cartridge for some time now, and I think it is picking up a following, not slowing down.

Boolit Master

I was curious but had absolutely no desire to own one until a Ruger bolt gun came along at a good price. Wow, talk about UGLY, Canjar trigger ripoff and plastic stock. I was curious like I said and for 300.00 bucks, what the heck, I could always sell and get most of my money back. Two years later, it has got to be the first rifle I pick up whether it be small game or targets Turns out to be a great performer with 110 vmax with 2400 and 311410 (Mihec) with RL7. It's fun, accurate, cheap to feed and an effective hunting and defense round. For the defenders of the x39. I have five different rifles that use that round, none of which are an AK or SKS. Good round, accurate in a good bolt gun. I won't get rid of any of them but there is plenty of room in the safe for a B.O. Glad I gave it a chance.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    I have to concur that the Ruger American Ranch is a real handy rifle in the caliber. The local Cabelas has a used one on the shelf with a scope and brake for $350 and it's mighty tempting.

The round is one I'm a bit fan of. I think it's the .30-30 of this generation, and with a decent chance of the HPA passing its suppressor-friendliness will certainly help the popularity. The other thing it does very well is function from a short barrel. While even .30-30 becomes a real handful below a 14" barrel, the .300BO can achieve a full burn in under 10", and some companies are getting decent ballistics with 8 and 9" barrels. I have a 9" barreled AR with a brake and standard carbine stock (magpul MOE) and the whole gun is about 24" long, and with the suppressor on it is just over 32" long. That's a real short gun, but still hits like a champ. I'm planning an 10" barrel on an Encore in the Blackout, and expect the overall length to be under 25" on that as well.
    Which cabelas is near you? If it's close enough, I'll run out and get it myself! I've been looking for a bolt gun to match up with my 300blk AR.

And it looks like you have been given your answer on suppressors shaper. Like others have said, I paid a $200 tax to the government (one time tax) and waited a total of 9 months for my paperwork to be approved. Now that I have it, it makes me grin ear to ear. Some guys say it's a gimmick, but to each their own. If you have the money and the patience, do it and don't look back. Additionally, a copy of the tax stamp remains with the suppressor everywhere I go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Which cabelas is near you? If it's close enough, I'll run out and get it myself! I've been looking for a bolt gun to match up with my 300blk AR.

And it looks like you have been given your answer on suppressors shaper. Like others have said, I paid a $200 tax to the government (one time tax) and waited a total of 9 months for my paperwork to be approved. Now that I have it, it makes me grin ear to ear. Some guys say it's a gimmick, but to each their own. If you have the money and the patience, do it and don't look back. Additionally, a copy of the tax stamp remains with the suppressor everywhere I go.
    The one out in Hazelwood (St. Louis, MO) had it on the rack when I went to pick up my crossbow. Had the foliage stock and what looked like a PWS brake. Might be a long drive for you, though.

I need to see if the barrel is easy to remove. Also someone need to put out some tougher magazines, the feed lips on mine flex and it makes me worry about the longevity.

Boolit Master
    I like the preformance with the lee 155gr cast bullet. I crono my 155gr at average 1850fps in my 16 inch AR. In my brothers 10 inch SBR we still get 1800fps with the same load. Also with a 110gr jacket bullet you can get at least 2200 fps. The only downside is it takes a lot of labor to make the brass. Its still cool to run in local 3gun matches with cast bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    The one out in Hazelwood (St. Louis, MO) had it on the rack when I went to pick up my crossbow. Had the foliage stock and what looked like a PWS brake. Might be a long drive for you, though.

I need to see if the barrel is easy to remove. Also someone need to put out some tougher magazines, the feed lips on mine flex and it makes me worry about the longevity.
    Yeah that would be quite the hike for me. Pity I couldn't unload my Excalibur crossbow to fund the Ruger rifle. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the stores around here

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    The down side for me is the lack of readily available brass.
    300BO brass is so easy to make, I had to stop taking free 5.56 brass, Ive converted about 1500 so far. The cost?

A mini chop saw about $35, I got one at Harbor Fright for $25.

https://www.amazon.com/TruePower-919...=mini+chop+saw

A jig, I paid $12 for mine. There are several types of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-300-Bl...0+blackout+jig

Plug it in and chop away, clean up the cut end, and shove them though your sizing die.

I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Well, I certainly didn't intend to start anything here. Let me put it this way. I'll soon be 74 years old and haven't seen it all by a long shot. I have a pair of pump up BB rifles and like me they are old and tired. but, that small round ball will still hit the paper where I want it to hit. So it has earned a place in my stable. I have a pair of .22 revolvers that must have cost every bit of $12. each brand new. They will never win a trophy for anything. But they are mine and I do shoot them for fun sometimes. So they have a place also. I can go on to the .22 rifles I bought to help my grand children learn how to shoot safely and accurately. My most favorite of all is my Rem 29, 12 ga pump. My wife gave it to me on our first anniversary when I was in the Air Force. So it has a place for ever. Yes I love my Winchester 94 and people talk down about my Hi Point 9mm carbine, but I like it. There are others, some older, some a bit newer, none expensive. I would love to buy one each of everything that Henry Rifles have for sale, but that will never happen. I have some that hurt my shoulder when I shoot them. But they all have a place and purpose. I haven't seen it all and never will, but I don't plan on stopping at something new. All of the great cartridges had to start somewhere and I'll bet there were some that would try to put those down also. The blackout may come to live in my stable, or it may not. I also have to factor in my age and monthly income. Right now all I can say is I will look at it and judge for myself. ( for I know not what tomorrow will bring)
    shaper

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast