Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Today's 700x Loads and Results

Today's 700x Loads and Results

Hello,

Today I took some time to start working up loads with 700x in the .45acp. I used the Lee Disk system and kept careful notes due to this powder's tendency to bridge.

Before I started, I mixed two heaping teaspoons of powdered graphite into the pound of 700x.

Bullet used was the Lee Truncated Cone Flat Point, traditional lube, 230grn. It was 240grn cast from pure Pb and lubed with 1 part beeswax, 1 part lanolin, and 1/2 part each of olive oil and canola oil. This is a very soft, sticky lube. COAL was 1.20".

I started with the 0.49cc hole.

Throw 1 was 3.5grns.
    Throw 2 was 3.6grns.
    Throw 3 was 3.5grns.
    Throw 4 was 3.45grns.
    Throw 5 was 3.35grns.

I fired these, and ejection was on the weak side with spent casings being sooty.

I then upped to the 0.53cc hole.

Throw 1 was 3.8grns.
    Throw 2 was 3.6grns.
    Throw 3 was 3.75grns.
    Throw 4 was 3.7grns.
    Throw 5 was 3.65grns.

The next five kept the 0.53cc hole, but I whacked the press with a piece of wood to settle the powder into the cavity.

Throw 6 was 3.7grns.
    Throw 7 was 3.9grns.
    Throw 8 was 3.9grns.
    Throw 9 was 3.9grns.
    Throw 10 was 3.9grns.

Ejection was more positive with these loads, and the spent cases were less sooty. I believe I'll work up to the cavity that makes the cases fully seal and go with that as a range and woods load. There's plenty of thump to handle most critters around here, and I don't like chasing after brass. I'm guessing that charge will be around 4.3 to 4.5grns, and I don't see myself going much, if any, over that last.

Probably should invest in a chronograph one day.

Regarding the powder's metering qualities, I did not encounter any problems that folks have related regarding bridging etc. This could be due to the graphite I added, but I do not know for sure because I didn't try it without the graphite.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    I use 700x regularly with my 38 Special. I see similar results (variation of one or two tenths of a grain) using an RCBS powder measure, and have also not had bridging issues. It doesn't meter perfectly, for sure, but I get good results. I like it. And that's without adding graphite or anything else.
    Hick: Iron sights!

That's good to know. I used to cycle the graphite through the thrower, but eventually just started adding a little to the powder instead since its inert.

Josh

Banned

I'm thinking 700-x for my next run of 45's so your saving me some time.
    I was thinking of starting at 4.0grs with my 200gr mold so it looks like I'm right on track.
    I want decent groups but I also want the brass to just pop out of the gun into a little pile at my side.
    I don't care whether I get sooting but I do care about 100% function.
    so there is a little bit of a balancing act I need to do.

Boolit Master
    We have used a lot of 700x in the last couple of years. Our Pacific/Hornady measure works best with a nice tap at the end of the stroke.

Thanks for posting your results Josh.

I have used 4.5 grains 700X and lee's 452-230RNTL bullets for over 15 years in my submachine guns and 1911s. It works

I shot a lot of Keith boolits over 7.0 of 700X in .44 mags over the years. Very clean and around 1000 fps.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    IMR-700X is a very versatile, user-friendly, clean-burning and economical propellant which demonstrates wide application in places I would normally expect only for slower-burning powders. It, along with IMR-PB, is entirely too good a propellant to discontinue anytime soon, and I hope that Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester will continue to make it available, unlike what has happened to IMR-PB.

In .38 Special, I like 3.0/IMR-700X/158LSWC for light target and plinking. In .45 ACP, I use 4.0-4.2/IMR-700X/200LSWC for light target and falling plate competition.

RunFiveRun, if you make it a point to seat bullets to the shortest O.A.L., consistent with good function, and apply extra-heavy crimp, I expect any sooting will be very much reduced or absent altogether. Getting the empties to eject and land at your feet may be more a function of extractor tension than handload, but I am by no means enough of a gunsmith to be sure of that.

SMKummer's 4.5/IMR-700X/230RNTL is redolent of what I used for a general purpose and competition load for many years, 4.6/IMR-700X/225-LeeTC. I still have half a can of 700-X laying about, and only stopped using it when I bought an 8lb jug of Alliant Promo (RedDot w/o the Dots) for an unbelievably low price in 2007. I am of the opinion that 700-X will do anything that W231, AA#2, RedDot, Hodgdon Clays, or other powders of similar burn-rate will do, plus a few things the others will not.

My experience with 700-X is by no means exhaustive, but in the process of using 4 cans of it (okay, 3 1/2), I experienced no bridging or other metering issues, even in charges as light as 3.0 grains. I was also generally pleased with how clean burning it was, even in very mild loads.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 11-30-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    If forced to use only one powder, it would be 700X. It's also one of the cheapest powders on th market.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I think I'd want something a little slower-burning than 700-X if I could have only one pistol powder. I'd want something like Unique, Herco, or AA#5, and a lot of it. This doesn't diminish the value of 700-X. If I could have two powders, I'd want the 2nd one to be 700-X.

Hello,

Tonight, running the 0.57cc cavity, no smacking the press or die:

Throw 1: 3.9grn
    Throw 2: 3.9grn
    Throw 3: 3.9grn
    Throw 4: 4.25(?)
    Throw 5: 3.8grn

Throw 10: 4.0grn

Throw 15: 3.95grn

Throw 20: 3.9grn

Before I move on to the next cavity, I'm going to run 20 while smacking the press with a dowel so as to settle the powder.

I should mention that this press is grounded to earth.

Regards,

Josh