Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sks.....?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Sks.....?

Would you or have you deer hunted with an SKS rifle ?
    No turning back , No turning back !

Keep in mind, I don't have an SKS (but I want one). I believe the 7.62x39 is comparable to a 30-30. So it should work. I wouldn't trust it past 100-150 yards though.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Banned

I have no doubt it can easily kill deer. The 30-30 is "more gun" but the only real issue is can the 7.63 x 39 do the job, and the answer is yes. Just use an appropriate bullet.

I have not but certainly would if I needed to.

I do have other rifles that are more accurate at longer ranges. But they tend to be single shot handi rifles. Or semi auto rifles that are not as accurate as the SKS although much easier to put a scope or red dot sight on.

My prefered load for the SKS is the Lee .312 185 grain gas checked over 20 grains of IMR 4895. It is roughly 30% heavier than standard sized boolits so I reduced speed about 30% to compensate for increased pressures.

So you have a round that is slower, has a bit more curve to it. But hits 1/3 harder because of the increased mass. Cast of fairly soft range lead with 1.5% added tin those boolits should expand nicely.

So you end up with a rifle that has the option of a near instant follow up shot.
    Can easily hit a 2" target at 50 yards consistently, at least mine does. Can reach out easily to 100y although I would either pass up a 200y target or try to find a way to close the range to at least 150y before trying a shot.

You have a rifle that from what I have seen is dependable as possible. Rifle was essentially designed to be used by peasants.

I see no lose here, win win scenario.

I have one, wish I had a second. If you get one forget about 10/20/30 round magazines. Invest in 10 to 20 good quality stripper clips. You can slap 10 rounds in, jerk the bolt and be back in action faster than a magazine change.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some states limit magazine capacity, so consider that. The energy is there to kill a deer with the right bullet...but I am not a fan of CB for hunting for a couple of reasons. One is my ignorance of how to balance alloy with speed, penetration and expansion, the second being jacketed bullets are generally more accurate as well as more predictable.

I use the 6" rule for establishing ethical distance. The range I can hit a 6" target with every shot is my maximum range.

Don Verna

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    In my country they are still a good hog killer , much less mercy here for hogs . Haven't shot mine in a while but enjoy shooting it . Might have an opportunity for Becky to deer hunt (kind of sprung on me) and she is already broke in with the SKS . Just a thought .
    No turning back , No turning back !

I have mine outfitted with a peep and it shoots really well with cast. I also have a couple of boxes of federal fusion 7.62x39. This year I just might use it if I feel like something completely different. Whitetail opened up yesterday. Still like my Marlin 35 rem though......

Just make sure you have soft points for it.

It is not new, trendy or black but it is capable dependable and durable.

although I did not get anything, I did use an SKS this year for deer, and will be using it all year for hogs, I use cb's for target practice, but comm. softpoints for hunting,they are usually around 123-125gr, but I am going to buy a box of tulammo 154gr sp's for hunting this year, I didn't know about them this deer season, the extra weight will help, and tthey are boxer primed!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    All I know is the Chinese SKS I had was 100% dependable. Couldn't make it malfunction if you tried. Of course the correct bullet from the little commie will smoke a deer at reasonable ranges.

Boolit Master
    Ive taken a white tail buck with mine.
    I took a norinco fmj lead core bullet to the grinding wheel until i saw a
    silver dot .040 in diameter.
    then used the same size drill to make a hollow point .
    By doing this the point of impact stayed the same as the fmjs.
    The deer was 75yds away broad side took a lung shot
    deer dropped on the spot and didnt get up.
    bullet went into 3 pieces and stopped at the far skin side
    I would take the sks over a 30 30 lever gun any day
    with a range finder and bdc scope its still on target at 400 yards
    No wouldnt shoot at a deer that far but fun to play with

Boolit Master

My hunting partner has killed a load of bucks with his mini 30, they usually fall at the shot get up run 40 yards or so and die.

now that I have the lee 312-185-1r mold, and have cast some boolits and shot a few, I have forgotten all about the tulammo, these things are hammers. I would probably limit my shots to 100 yards, only because I don't have an area big enough to practice at 150 yards, that would be my imposed limit.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Yes, in heart beat.

I load for my best friend's son's SKS. We use a Lee 155, powder coated and 25.0g of Accurate LT-32 and it cycles 100%, is quite accurate and runs about 1950(ish) FPS. That is sufficient for any white tail.
    Obviously the rule applies here the same as a .22 Hornet or a .460 Weatherby.....shot placement is very important.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Buddy

you betcha, nice light rifle to carry through the woods with little concern of damaging or scratching it. 10 rounds available and I think it is comparable to a 30-30 (just my opinion) although not as classy. I would use your own loads some of the surplus junk will not penetrate much more than the hide at distance.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

The SKS is way too heavy for me, there's so many better choices...

I've used an sks to take several deer, works great as long as the range isn't too long.

Boolit Master
    SIL took a really nice Texas 6-point a year ago with a scoped SKS and a hand load with Red Army brass (from someone here on this forum), Wolf LP primer, Hornady 123 purple tip bullet, and a charge of H116.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't used it, but know a number of guys who have, and given a good bullet, it'll do a fine job if only one places the bullets well. I'm betting Becky knows deer anatomy, and can place her shots well. So ... she ought to do very well with it. BTW, I'm told the 125 gr. Rem. bullet is the best for expansion that the guys I know have used in it. Expands a bit quicker than the Hornadys. And the SKS has always, in my experiennce, been a lot more accurate than the AK types. And never judge either's accuracy by the cheap, FMJ "blasting" ammo commonly sold for them. Good handloads with a good bullet and ... they can really surprise you! Very neat rifles for a young lady, too, since the stock should probably fit her well. Add in the auto feeding trait, and it'll make a fine "deer gun" for her. I have two AK's, and rue letting my SKS's go. Wish I had them back again. Used to buy them for $69.95 all day long, and ammo was nearly as cheap for two sealed tins! What great days those were!

My SKS and my Hipoint Carbine would be the last two rifles to go in my case.

Work up a good load and it will just get the job done. It may be a might heavy but it is not that bad.

AK's just don't appeal to me but I have been considering the merit's of having a second SKS around the house.