Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Paper patch lube, Rooster Jacket?

Super Moderator

Paper patch lube, Rooster Jacket?

I just got some of this and was wondering is anyone else was using it, and the best way to apply it?

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I acquired a bottle of Rooster Jacket a few years back, but haven't had the time or made the time to paper patch yet. I'll be watching your thread with interest.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I don't find it too useful for black powder paper patching but it works pretty well for smokeless use. I use it like any other tumble lube, swirl the patched bullets around in a plastic tub and then let them dry. Lets you lube a lot of bullets in a short amount of time.

-Nobade

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I don't find it too useful for black powder paper patching but it works pretty well for smokeless use. I use it like any other tumble lube, swirl the patched bullets around in a plastic tub and then let them dry. Lets you lube a lot of bullets in a short amount of time.

-Nobade
    In that vein (not to confuse things ) what do you apply for BP use if you're not going to be shooting them for some time?

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

is there are need for any ppb lube? new to ppb, i just roll 'em dry, set 'em in the bp charged brass and that's it. no grease cookie, just a few wads over the powder. boxed and ready to use whenever. i've got some that i built a month ago and they look fine to shoot, but maybe there's a flaw to that thinking about storing dry ppb's?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    In that vein (not to confuse things ) what do you apply for BP use if you're not going to be shooting them for some time?

.............Buckshot
    Nothing. Just dry paper, if they are going to be used right away or stored.

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master

I used Lee sizing die wax in the past to wet patches I diluted it 4-1 with water. 4 parts water to 1 part sizing die wax. This worked good with Black powder for me. Gave the bullets a very light waxy sheen and paper seemed to roll and set better. Rounds loaded easily with just a couple breaths thru the blow tube. Mr. Dob McDowel here told me about JoJoBa oil Just dampen fingers with it and wipe patched bullets then remove excess with a patch. Wetted fingers can do 3-4 bullets before re wetting. This also gives a light sheen to the paper and eases loading. The old timer wetting soulution was an egg white to a quart of water. Ive never tried the rooster jacket. Things to watch for with it would be adverse effects on fouling ( making BP fouling hard and or crusty, A very sticky tar like fouling) gueing the paper to the bullet and not getting a good release, and swelling or allowing the paper to stretch more than normal.

Johnsons Paste Wax works well for me in high humidity conditions, i would suspect that any high quality natural wax formulation that dries would do just fine

In Remembrance

Can`t comment on BP patching lubes but I can say that I use JPW on my patches as soon as the wet wrapped boolets are dry, next day, then load or stack in a small box for when I will load them.Robert

Moderator Emeritus
    I roll my patches wet with the same lube I use for my RB BP patches, 1 part Youngs 303 to 3 parts water (Aquoil). Dries well just works for me. I lay out the patches an give them a light misting of Aquoil from a sprayer. Balistol and the like works similar but I find Youngs 303 to be a better product.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    have not seen youngs 303 for many years.
    similarly motty paste.
    these were common products when the lee enfield was THE fullbore target rifle in the british commonwealth.

Moderator Emeritus
    Youngs 303 is still available over here, haven't seen Motty past for years although I do have a couple of tins on my shelves, for old times sake.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Oh buckshot the only way that I found to put it on evenly was to put a half a drop on your finger wet both sides of the patch and pull it till it was semi dry if you put it on any thicker than that it sticks to the bullet it's not all that good but it does work in some applications
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Boolit Master
    What are trying to accomplish with the stuff?

Vendor Sponsor

That was my question too. Not to be a smart A... but I am not really clear about what problem we are solving with the patch lube. Maybe I missed read the post.

Hunting in wet conditions and the like? maybe...?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    There are several other things to use for hunting. I gave them all up eventually. SPG lube is one, Blair #105 spray fixative is another. After last year in the Yukon with naked paper, and nary a problem, I can't imagine messing with "waterproofing".

I used to use Vellum paper when I hunted in The Michigan UP because up there you will have either rain or snow, mostly snow and a bunch of it. I carried the shells in my pocket and at times they got wet. I never had a problem with the patch, even with the regular paper. If a wet patch is your fear this 100% cotton Vellum will ease your mind. It is a little tougher even at .0018" thick then regular 7, 8, or 9# 100% cotton but I don't see it hurt accuracy with the under layer not getting shredded completely.
    I have never had a need to lube a patch.

Boolit Master
    Cooking parchment is super water resistant, but I don't bother.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    What are trying to accomplish with the stuff?
    Back in 1991 me and a friend of mine (Al) both acquired MkIV Martini Enfields chambered 577-450. As it turned out our source (mutual gunsmith) had quite a stash of Martini stuff. He'd acquired it all from a guy who'd ended up with it after his uncle passed away, and he traded it off to the gunsmith as payment for restoration work on a batch of Colt SSA's.

As an aside, part of the 'boot' was an original crate of brand new MkIV bbls (made in 1892). So the gunsmith put one of them on my action for $125 to replace the original not so good bbl. Al also bought a full unopened wooden crate of Kynoch produced (Cordite loaded) 577-450 'rifle' ammo, and a partial crate of 577-450 'carbine' ammo, similarly loaded. This was all Berdan primed drawn brass stuff. Al gave me one box of rifle, and one box of the carbine ammo to fire in my rifle, giving the empty brass & the pasteboard boxes back to him.

All the swaged lead RN cup based slugs were paper patched (per British mil-spec) with purple paper that had a wax lube applied before seating in the cases. I also have one original German produced, unfired .43 Mauser cartridge, dated 1887 on the casehead, and it to has a wax lubed paper patched RN slug (I've not pulled the slug). I understand that the wax on the paper may have been applied for water proofing only. In 1994 I got Paul Mathews book on paper patching where he said that he applied lube to his paper patched bullets and the only time it was detrimental was when the particular lube penetrated through the paper.

I figured this might be because the lubed caused the paper to 'Loose adhesion', either to the bullet or to the paper it was wrapped against, or both. Since acquiring the Martini, I've also obtained a IAB Sharps 45-90, Pedersoli Sharps 45-70, Pedersoli Rem RB 40-65, original Rem RB M1879 Arg .43 Spanish, M1884 TD Sp'fld, a TD carbine both 45-70's, M71 Mauser and a M71/84 Sporter in .43 Mauser, Uberti Win Hi-Wall 38-55, and finally a Brazilian contract Comblain in 11 x 42R. In addition to these cartridge rifles I also have a P-H Whitworth, and a Rigby style .451" LR Match rifle.

I've produced paper patched ammunition for all of the above rifles, and have experienced very good results EXCEPT when the patch became translucent or otherwise obviously 'lube soaked', for lack of a better term. Of course in the case of the 2 muzzle loaders, I've never pre-lubed the slugs. Instead they're lubed at loading. My thinking of a lubed patch is simply to have lubrication between the paper and the steel of the barrel.

..............Buckshot

Boolit Master
    I used to lube religiously for years. I've had better accuracy since I quit. Other things x hanged as well, but I won't be going back.

For waterproofing, dipped in wax cerrainy should work, but I have never needed it, and i doubt accuracy is top drawer (but I admit, I havent tried it.

I have hunted in some of the wettest conditions and places. I've been just fine without.