Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more Number 1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Speaking of a cartridge or two in the wristband, (this may be the ultimate newbie question) years ago a friend of mine told me that his father had a double barreled shotgun and held two more shots between his fingers that held the forearm. He said that his dad could reload really quickly that way. Do people shoot that way? Or would the recoil cause the extra shells to fly out of your hand?
    I've read of shooters doing this, African double rifle hunters also. Try it, I think you'll find the rounds to be quite secure.

Another data point - I've seen cowboy action shooters rapid fire a 97 pump gun by palming up to four 12 gauge rounds in the left hand and feeding singles into the open action over the top, while using that hand also to pump the gun open and closed. Fast!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    People do not want to spend $1,000 for a single shot. It's really that simple. This has been a long time coming. I look at them all the time but always pass due to cost. There is little draw for me and the price has always been to high. I hate to see historic models dropped from the line but this is the cycle of life.
    hah! like what was posted above, there's a 20 month wait on a bare bones no frills shiloh sharps, i've only got a year to go. the bpcr s/s rifles are doing fine because THAT is what their game is all about and those are the proper tools. ain't no game that demands a #1 or #3, wrong century of origin, but they is fine for what they are, what they can do, sad to see the #1 go the way of the dodo.

Boolit Master

Speaking of a cartridge or two in the wristband, (this may be the ultimate newbie question) years ago a friend of mine told me that his father had a double barreled shotgun and held two more shots between his fingers that held the forearm. He said that his dad could reload really quickly that way. Do people shoot that way? Or would the recoil cause the extra shells to fly out of your hand?
    I used to hold one in my left hand as a young man hunting with a single shot 20 gauge h & r. Sometimes I would run with two extras. It was relatively easy to get two shots off at a flock of ducks as the shotgun was equipped with an ejector. I still have that gun and the forearm finish is all worn where I held those extra shells.

the technique I used was to hold the shells with the brass head between my fingers and the rest of the shell sticking out, much like a cigar. Fire, press the barrel release, barrel drops and empty flies over right shoulder as left hand feeds the new shell into the chamber. Close barrel and repeat.
    Last edited by Fishman; 11-22-2016 at 11:13 PM.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    This begs the question, is it lipsey's that is discontinuing the selling of #1's or Ruger has stopped making them. Just got a flyer from Cabela's and they had them on sale for black friday. Frank

Boolit Master
    They do, and sometimes with big game or shotgun rounds that recoil more than most No1s. What I'm not so sure of is whether they walk over ruts and windfalls for an hour or two, and operate the tang safety, like that. I'm sure somebody will sell you a near cordura wrist bandolier or one elasticated to fit the butt. Big game hunters weren't just showing off with those cartridge loops on their chests, either. It is handy with the rifle shouldered and something monstrous coming at you, and it give the least chance of denting a cartridge you will badly need to go in smoothly.

The Ruger web site shows the No. 1 and several new chamberings.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    This begs the question, is it lipsey's that is discontinuing the selling of #1's or Ruger has stopped making them. Just got a flyer from Cabela's and they had them on sale for black friday. Frank
    Ruger stopped making them as a regular production item a few years ago. Lipseys has been ordering small runs each year since. Lipseys saying the rifle is done effectively kills it. Doesn't matter if it's because they aren't going to order anymore or it's because Ruger won't make any more for them. The Cabelas sale is on current inventory.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    The Ruger web site shows the No. 1 and several new chamberings.
    File that one under "old news"

The No.1's will remain the basis of many custom rifles like this 45/120 Sharps. Prices here in Oz are around $AU2400 for a No.1 down to $AU1600 for a No.3. I have an original factory rifle in 22PPC (1993) of which I believe they shipped only 100 from the factory.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I have a decision to make before opening day Monday. Got my #3/ 375win. Tuned up with Speer
    235g SS boolits. Rifle shooting excellent, used a lead sled to super tune. I was a happy camper.
    Went to clean the rifle and found the barrel band had shot loose. Don't know if I should retighten
    or leave alone. Any thoughts on this?Attachment 181337

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The number three I used to have was accurate enough for what I wanted to do except for one thing . Every day I took it out it had an new point of impact different from where it was sighted in . That and other issues with Rugers seem to make them the best factory assembled do it yourself kits available .

It is to bad they are done making them , I have always thought the number ones looked very classy . For a while I was looking for one of Lipsey's done in .44 magnum hoping I could get lucky and not have to work on it .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

At present I own five Ruger No. 1 rifles, the fewest I've had in quite some time. None of them have required any work whatsoever to shoot sub minute of angle. The No. 1V in 223 Remington shoots 1/2 MOA. Every No. 1 rifle I've ever owned performed similarly.

Boolit Master
    I had two, both #1B's. The 7mm Rem mag I put a Moyer's trigger and limbsaver and was my go to rifle. I used it for a number of years and sold it last year after my cancer surgery. The other is a 30-06 that I had rechambered to 30-06 A.I. I had the trigger worked over on that one. In light of the OP I may keep it for a spell. I have used single shot rifles for years, both the NEF .270 and the NEF 30/30, and still have the latter. Shooting multiple deer never presented a problem with any of the aforementioned rifles.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    I'm 17 and I want one. Not paying $1000 for one though. For that money I'd get a pedersoli sharps.
    I understand, but don't agree. A nice old original single shot rifle will cost you more, but will also hold it's value, and even go up in value. An original single shot rifle from a major manufacturer is an investment you can enjoy and shoot a lot. Then years later you can sell it if you want and get more than you paid for it. Can't do that with almost any brand new rifle, especially a Pedersoli or other import.
    I've owned old single shot rifles from Marlin Ballard, Winchester 1885, Stevens 44 and 44 1/2, Rolling Blocks, Hepburns, etc. and never lost money when I decided to sell one later. Better investment than the stock market for sure! And much more fun to own than stocks too!

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    .....In my opinion Ruger/Lipseys missed the boat on two marks to compete with import single shot rifles. .......
    If you're going down that road consider that the Farquharson action without the exposed hammer also removes the Ruger No1 from any chance of being used in the currently popular SASS long distance matches. Something I suspect drove the choices that the Italian companies are producing.

If the SASS rules were a little different there might well be a lot of life left in this design.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Master
    I can't comment on the #1 but the first time I tried a single shot I was hooked. There will always be a market for them as long as folks are willing to try something new (or old in this case). My first was a Buffalo Classic (cheap!). My latest is a Haehnel (NOT cheap, but it fascinated me). Those two plus a Lone Star RB are right at home next to my FAL, SMLE, 1894 Marlin, etc.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    When the No 1s first came out I wanted one desperately but were virtually impossible to find. I'm left eye dominant so the No 1 appealed to me right off the bat. Since then I've had a 223 and a few 45/70s took a lot of ribbing as everyone was going to ARs and there I was with a turn of the century single shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    If you're going down that road consider that the Farquharson action without the exposed hammer also removes the Ruger No1 from any chance of being used in the currently popular SASS long distance matches. Something I suspect drove the choices that the Italian companies are producing.

If the SASS rules were a little different there might well be a lot of life left in this design.
    There are other venues that also don't allow hammerless guns, regardless of age. It's been a real issue with not only the Farquharson, but the Sharps Borchardt. Seems a shame that this rule persists and eliminates some quality arms, and even more so some very old period single shots!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    There are other venues that also don't allow hammerless guns, regardless of age. It's been a real issue with not only the Farquharson, but the Sharps Borchardt. Seems a shame that this rule persists and eliminates some quality arms, and even more so some very old period single shots!
    Yeah and the rules against double action revolvers bugs me too.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I'd like to see what the average age of a person buying a single shot is. I'm in my late thirties. No one my age wants one. I know there are always exceptions. I'm one when it comes to lever actions since people my age don't want them while I do. If bet the average age is skewed pretty high. And at that point it's a diminishing market due to nature taking it's course.
    that seems like a good idea!

i've liked single shots since i was 12 y.o. i was out hunting deer with my dad when i saw ruger #1. we where walking up to a guy who just shot a buck and was about to field dress him. then i saw it, a ruger #1. i forget how many points the buck had(might have been a 4pt, could have been a 6pt?) but that single shot had me enthralled. i asked him what kinda caliber is that? he replied a 7x57 using a 175gr round nose. at that point i was hooked. i've wanted a ruger #1 in 7x57 for 30+ years. i only have one, a ruger #1 in 270 win that i got from a gun show. it ain't no 7 mauser but it can put the deer down!

since my stroke(about 5 years ago), i've been using a single shot for hunting. now it can be a tc encore or a #1( i use a '98 springfield armory in 30-40 krag, but that has been a single shot since i put on a redfield peep sight) and i've gotten away from bolts, levers and pumps. i doubt that i will use a semi-rifle and handguns now that governor of PA has declared them legal to use(PA game commision will decide on which guns and how many bullets it can shoot). i've shot semis and fully automatic guns in the army(i do luv the ma duece!) but for me, a single shot requires a single kill. i don't believe in a follow up shot, its my own ethics. if you can't shoot at the game more than once, why are you shooting the game a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th time. like i said, its my ethics, not yours.

its just a dang shame that ruger does not do the #1 anymore. it was and is true hunting gun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast