Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: lee production pot-yellow powder contaminant

lee production pot-yellow powder contaminant

OK i pulled my lee production pot out for the year and it promptly started to plug up on me. when i got all the lead out there was alayer of yellow powder on the floor of the mold and chunks of it blocking the drip hole. it was a PITA to get it all out and i ahent got the pot workin right just yet, any idea what this stuff was? the only thing i melt in the pot is pre-drossed WW lead. it looked like sulfur powder but didnt smell at all.

SW

Boolit Man
    What flux are you using?

Eli

Boolit Master
    Was the last lead you poured very soft lead? Ron

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm betting it's sulphur. I once melted down a bunch of "pure" lead that contained some old concrete anchors, that's where mine picked up the sulphur. In the old days, they used lead and sulphur to anchor machinery.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

the flux im using is frankfort arsenal. always been good before. all the lead i cast is WW with no exceptions. the only unknown contributor was a batch of lead that had been cast in pop cans but it all casted clean with no problems. this was all WW i melted myself last fall. i got it all out (eventually) and got it working. one of the guys i work with thought maybe it was arsenic used in casting the WW.

SW

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I have had the same crap turn up in my 4-20 and 10 pound lee. I have only ever put certified 99.9% pure lead and tin from a foundry into the pots. I did notice that it only happened when I let the pot get too hot. How hot are you running?
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

I had the same thing turn up on the top of the melt in my 4-20 the other day. Mix was clean ww's +2% tin, and I had just cleaned the pot right before that melt. I was using the bottom pour, so wasn't stirring the melt at all, and after 20 minutes or so found a bunch of yellow powder and slag stuff on top. Some of the slag fluxed back in with sawdust, but the yellow powder wouldn't. Really curious what it was.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    I have only seen it in pure soft lead. I also have only seen it when it was WAY hot. Ron

im running the pot set on 8 right now. its a hair to the hot side for casting but it works the best for me.

SW

Boolit Master
    There's a yellow lead oxide called Litharge. It further oxidizes to a red version called Minium (which looks like rust) and finally to a dioxide, which is brown.

If you have some glycerol (glycerine) around, a mixture of this plus litharge makes a pretty good cement.