Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 10 gauge buckshot

Boolit Mold

10 gauge buckshot

Hi I was hoping to get help with 10 gauge 0000 buckshot load data. Ballistic products lists a couple loads that call for sr4656 which I can't get my hands on.

Boolit Master

layman does not say what size shot, just list buckshot. 2 and 7/8 length uses sr7625 from 36.5 grains to 38 grains, also uses pb powder at 38 grains to 38.5 grains. newer laymans only has 3 and 1/2 length and uses sr4756 from 36.5 grains to 44 grains, hs-6 from 40 grains to 40.5 grains, blue dot from 34 grains to 43 grains, hs-7 from 41.5 grains

Boolit Master
    SR4656 & SR7625 Discontinued

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?224895-Powders-to-be-discontinued-by-Hodgdon-in-2014

Suggest contacting Ballistic Products on any alternate powder for use with the Eastern 0000B / Western #1B / 54 gauge buckshot loads you want to use in the 10 bore.
    Last edited by RMc; 11-20-2016 at 05:53 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    BPI Buckshot Manual 4th edition, page 5 load bkl130524-4787 lists 31gr of Unique with 2 x10x seals and an OS card with no buffer. Does call for a Teflon wrap. This is for a 2 7/8" 10 gauge with 2 x 4 stack (8 0000) pellets. My suggestion would be to either cut your shell to 2 7/8" or add some paper wad to raise your stack.
    Last edited by rhouser; 11-29-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    You guys were throwing me for a loop with so many zeros to enumerate your buck shot size!

You are talking about 4 buck right?

I loaded this in a 10ga SXS back in the day when we could get air gunning permits from the state for coyotes. .......... and the airplane did not stall upon firing ..... LOL!

I can't remember which powder was my goto ........ I was working with HS-6 and SR 4756 but was bouncing between nickle plated lead BB shot and 4 Buck.

Our shotgun has 32" barrels both full fixed choke and the BB loads were running such a tight pattern we had to give up because too many coyotes were getting spared ...........

Nobody ran off from the 4 Buck however!

I think I could have shot a goose at 125 yd. with that BB shot if it had been legal!

Anyway, I recently fell into five cans unopened of SR 4756 to augment the small bit left from those days so I will have to dust off the 'ole Ten again!

All my info, hulls and wads came from Ballistic Products so that's where I will go again.

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    A 30in. pattern at 40 yards will be 93 inches at best at 125, if not wider. That is 6903 square inches, and a lot to cover with 100 BB pellets.

Buckshot doesn't pattern much tighter than BB I doubt if those coyotes were being spared all we would want to be spared.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 12-04-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Steel shot at 47 yards 1 1/2 load 93-98 hits in 30inches .

Just outside 30 was 101 out of the 108 BB's .

There Data out there for you load just keep reading and looking.
    Looked it up all about 6 months ago, I was checking all the data for the 10's.

PM me if you still haven't found any I look it up in books. Teddy
    Last edited by Teddy (punchie); 12-04-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    No the nickel plated lead BB shot was patterning tighter than a 30 inch circle to start with ........ way too tight for aerial gunning on coyotes.

The 4 buck was a more open pattern and the pellet energy was much more favorable. This was gunning in the winter and some friends found a coyote in the neighborhood and shot it ....... upon skinning it they found nickel plated BB's all along it's back just under the hide ........ in that case, my shotgun did not kill it but their varmint rifle gave it the treatment.

I did kill coyotes with the BB shot but from our results, I have a ton more respect for 4 buck lead out of 10 and 12 gauge.

Three 44s

I had trap a coyote that was shot with BB and it was just mainly under the skin.It was all heal up also when I got it. Also look like it was around the cattle because it been kick in the hind leg near the back.It was a good size male.
    How would 00 buck work in place of 4 buck on it all?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

00 (double ought) has a pretty thin pattern once you get past 20 yards. I do better with #4 buck (.24"dia) on coyotes. The Hevi-Shot T-buck loads are even better.

What is the OP planning on shooting? Deer or coyote? Asking about 0000 (four ought)(.375" dia) I think deer is the target.

An important to consider with large buckshot is layering. How many pellets can you get in a single layer, and do the layers fit nicely in the stack. Circle Packing research helps with what you can get in a layer. You can get three .375" diameter pellets in a layer if the bore is .750 which the 10 ga is. You cannot do this when using a plastic shotcup as this effectively reduces the bore diameter.

I'll try to scan 10 ga buckshot data from the books I have. PM me with your e-address to get your copy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    No the nickel plated lead BB shot was patterning tighter than a 30 inch circle to start with ........ way too tight for aerial gunning on coyotes.

The 4 buck was a more open pattern and the pellet energy was much more favorable. This was gunning in the winter and some friends found a coyote in the neighborhood and shot it ....... upon skinning it they found nickel plated BB's all along it's back just under the hide ........ in that case, my shotgun did not kill it but their varmint rifle gave it the treatment.

I did kill coyotes with the BB shot but from our results, I have a ton more respect for 4 buck lead out of 10 and 12 gauge.

Three 44s
    I think the BBs were patterning too tightly and too loosely, simultaneously, for what was expected of them. While shotguns do sometimes pattern more tightly with some sizes of shot than others, that is not the most likely thing to cause what you observed. More likely the BBs created the illusion of a miss, when the unfortunate animal was escaping to see if healing or slow death would win out. It didn't put in a job application to be a varmint.

There is some danger of confusion here. 0000 buckshot is about .38in. in diameter with a weight of about 92 gr. I would be wary of using the number 4 in this connection, because No4 buckshot is .24in. and 21gr. The latter is indeed a much better load for coyote-sized animals (and a worse one for deer). But both depend on circumstances which permit placing a useful number of pellets on target.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    An important to consider with large buckshot is layering. How many pellets can you get in a single layer, and do the layers fit nicely in the stack. Circle Packing research helps with what you can get in a layer. You can get three .375" diameter pellets in a layer if the bore is .750 which the 10 ga is. You cannot do this when using a plastic shotcup as this effectively reduces the bore diameter.

It is indeed important. The first of these articles is a calculator for circles you can pack in a given circle (or spheres in a given cylinder. The simplest (and corresponding very closely to No4 buckshot in a 12ga) is the group of seven in a circle three times the diameter, as you can do with seven coins. In a 10ga seven No3 buck, at a true .25in., is about as good. A layer of seven gives the highest ratio of small circles to intervening spaces of any number up to twenty, and perhaps right up to dustshot sizes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle...ng_in_a_circle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

If you want to use a shot size which doesn't stack in stable layers, the situation can be somewhat improved by filling the spaces with sawdust.

For any shotgun handloader who wants to widen his patterns, a useful method is to lay a single layer of pellets in a shallow container, and hit them gently with a hammer to put an approximately equally sized flat on the top and bottom of each pellet. They will lose their velocity in a shorter distance, but in moderation this is likely to be acceptable.

Boolit Master
    Yes, for clairification we used #4 buck which is a .24" diameter pellet.

Also, I loaded my buckshot with a plastic buffer from Ballistic Products ..... same for the other inputs and the recommended loads came from there. A buffer made from natural materials such as saw dust would worry me about it drawing moisture and causing pressures to rise.

Also I would suggest that a 0000 buck load would lead to more open spaces than what one would want for coyotes.

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    I have hunted deer with buckshot and I have no use for anything smaller than 00, and 000 is better. I loaded some 00, with a healthy charge of Herco, in a 2 3/4 hull, no sleeve, 8 or 10, or maybe 9 buck, but it was a high velocity load. It only took one pellet to kill a deer and I killed a lot of deer with that load well past what the experts say is maximum range. Pellet size and velocity is what kills.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    00 (double ought) has a pretty thin pattern once you get past 20 yards.
    Not necessarily.

Boolit Master