RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No number AR lowers

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    When I was at Schofield,I kept 2 .45's and a .357 in my wall locker.Never encountered anything like that and I shot on a public range.
    I too was on Schofield and had no issue when shooting on base, but tried the public range owned by the state one time they was so stupid about the laws one I stayed on base to shoot after that

Boolit Master
    Hate to tell people but neither the 1st nor the 2nd amendment are absolute rights. Can't yell fire in a crowded room and reasonable restrictions on firearms are allowed. So says the SCOTUS. They just haven't defined those reasonable restrictions yet. Be careful about your interpretation of the Constitution. Judges aren't inclined to listen to a citizens version of the Constitution if he/she is not a member of a bar. Get too carried away and you can end up with a felony conviction and spend time in at least a medium security federal penitentiary, not nice places.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Not at all. Either way, they stay in office by pleasing most of the people most of the time.
    Not at all, they stay in office mostly by the power of incumbency and gerrymandered districts. Once elected they have to actually screw up and anger a significant portion of the voters to lose their office. Even Presidents seem to get a second term, 4 of the last 5 presidents did not lose the office they were term limited and the one who did lose was really a third term for that administration.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Hate to tell people but neither the 1st nor the 2nd amendment are absolute rights. Can't yell fire in a crowded room and reasonable restrictions on firearms are allowed. So says the SCOTUS. They just haven't defined those reasonable restrictions yet. Be careful about your interpretation of the Constitution. Judges aren't inclined to listen to a citizens version of the Constitution if he/she is not a member of a bar. Get too carried away and you can end up with a felony conviction and spend time in at least a medium security federal penitentiary, not nice places.
    Well, I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised that someone from Kalifornia would have gone so far down the slippery slope that they can't even see the top anymore.

The SCOTUS doesn't always get it right. Remember the Dred Scott decision?

So, you're OK with the government telling you which religion you must (or cannot) worship?

The 2nd Amendment is a REAFFIRMATION of a natural right of free men everywhere. It is not subject to "interpretation", it's pretty plain -- SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

States have rights to set laws as long as they do not directly run afoul of federal or constitutional law. Apparently requiring owners register firearms does not run afoul of that, or someone will bring the issue to the courts and get a ruling that causes a change.

Background checks certainly have passed constitutional muster so far.

Not a surprise that states vary in how far they wish to pursue restrictions. I guess HI wants no "ghost" guns floating around that exist without buyer having a background check to have purchased and Calif. want no guns floating around without a note from your shrink and an OK from your proctologist. Even Arizona the process is you show paperwork that proves a background check before purchase from FFL which could be considered an original source.

Most folks support background checks, or at least a majority in many states. My guess is private party sales not requiring background check is going to become much less common as time goes on. If people favor background checks why would they not think it stupid to leave a huge loophole that almost begs for straw purchases. I'm not advocating I'm just stating where I think things are headed. With states rights comes the right to approve the laws that an individual state feels are appropriate level of restriction for firearms.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Most folks support background checks, or at least a majority in many states. .....
    Do you get that information from a poll? Kind of like one of those polls that said Clinton was was a shoe in?

Boolit Grand Master

It's not a loophole when the law specifically allows it. I am fine w/ background checks. But I don't want universal background checks. Decision should be made by the seller if they want one to be performed. I should not have to pay the government for a background check if I sell a firearm to a family member or friend that I trust.

I understand that the check is a restriction. And my opinion may be different if I had a name that was flagged every time and delayed my purchase. As it stands now it takes about two minutes.

Boolit Grand Master

This thread was about UN-serial numbered ARs, not any of the other questions. It is totally OK with the BATF for dealers to sell the 80% lowers. It is also fine to buy and machine them and assemble into a functional rifle as long as it is semi auto only.
    If used to commit a crime it only limits the paper trail, but not completely. If they can filter through 65,000 emails in a week, I figure it only a minor inconvenience.
    As far as a range officer limiting their use, I'd consider it a range I wouldn't use. The serial number or lack thereof is none of their business.
    If its ownership is questioned by a LEO, it will probably be confiscated until you can prove YOU did the machining and build. Your buddy can't do the machining or even hold your hand while you do it.
    It's only drawback is you can't sell or give it to even a family member, without numbering and registering it.
    Then it's just one of millions. Remember, Hillery didn't get her way. Trump won.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    States have rights to set laws as long as they do not directly run afoul of federal or constitutional law. Apparently requiring owners register firearms does not run afoul of that, or someone will bring the issue to the courts and get a ruling that causes a change.

Background checks certainly have passed constitutional muster so far.

Not a surprise that states vary in how far they wish to pursue restrictions. I guess HI wants no "ghost" guns floating around that exist without buyer having a background check to have purchased and Calif. want no guns floating around without a note from your shrink and an OK from your proctologist. Even Arizona the process is you show paperwork that proves a background check before purchase from FFL which could be considered an original source.

Most folks support background checks, or at least a majority in many states. My guess is private party sales not requiring background check is going to become much less common as time goes on. If people favor background checks why would they not think it stupid to leave a huge loophole that almost begs for straw purchases. I'm not advocating I'm just stating where I think things are headed. With states rights comes the right to approve the laws that an individual state feels are appropriate level of restriction for firearms.
    That which is the Law is not always right. Just because SCOTUS has affirmed or not overturned does not make it Right or Constitutional it only makes it the law of the land until it goes to the Court again.

Just because the Majority want something does not make it right either, we should not have to suffer the Tyranny of the Majority, the Majority are often wrong.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

When I get the ok to build my suppressors they will be numbered, although not required. If someone machines a 80% lower they could add a number but it would not have to be recorded.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    When I get the ok to build my suppressors they will be numbered, although not required. If someone machines a 80% lower they could add a number but it would not have to be recorded.
    Interesting, I'm pretty sure when I built mine a serial number WAS required and had to be listed on my paperwork when applying for my tax stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Interesting, I'm pretty sure when I built mine a serial number WAS required and had to be listed on my paperwork when applying for my tax stamp.
    That was my understanding as well. Any suppressor, built or bought, had to have a serial number and registered for the tax stamp.

Boolit Master
    Had a neighbor who was selling 80% lower and allowed his customers to use his computerized milling machine to make them useable. ATF changed the rules and he quit before some changed a rule he didn't know about and he went to jail.

Boolit Grand Master

They put a stop to the CNC parties for obvious reasons. I don't agree w/ the ruling. But I can see why they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    Do you get that information from a poll? Kind of like one of those polls that said Clinton was was a shoe in?
    Pretty well established. In many states a majority do in general favor more background checks. Specific legislation tends to bring that figure lower but again in many states it still stays in the majority. Multiple polls are cited and linked to in this article. These are not state specific, now if you go state specific I'm sure you would find some states are lower, and some might even fall below a majority, but you would also find that many states are clearly over 50% want background checks to be applied in more situations.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...un-background/

But I can make it incredibly easy for you, a majority of Americans do not own firearms, most of those think background checks are a good idea. Of those that do own firearms many do not oppose some form of expanded background checks. Either because it won't be a problem for them or because as I said logically if buying a gun from a store requires a background check and the person thinks that is a good idea then requiring a check to buy from a private party at a gun show or flea market would be also.

Unless one is able to refute the above information then it does seem highly likely that a majority in many states would not be thrilled about people buying "kits" to make untraceable "assault weapons" without requiring any background check. Anyone that thinks the consensus view around here on firearms laws is a majority view is kidding themselves. We are a minority, a minority that absent a lot of effort can get rolled over in short order by state legislation. Also as I pointed out states have rights, those rights may lead to outcomes we (a minority) oppose.

I was not offering an opinion on the "rightness" of these opinions, simply my expectation that eventually the country will move in that direction because a majority leans in that direction. We have to win every battle, advocates for more restrictions only have to win some to effect change. Most folks will say "well I don't know anyone that had a problem with those new laws in the last couple years, why repeal them?" Like the squirrel and my dog. Squirrel has to win race to the tree every time, dog wins once and squirrel loses big because the dog ain't inclined to roll back the changes already applied to the squirrel. Actually I'm pretty sure only a genuine healing miracle could roll back those dog applied changes.

Citing ones opinion that SCOTUS or majority or legislators are "wrong" doesn't change things all that much. Court cases, public relations, and voting do. But two out of three of those majority has more clout, and the courts are not totally immune to majority public opinion either.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

i can see this thread has gone in the toilet, check the attitudes ladies!

In Remembrance
    Well the law in Hawaii is regester EVERYTHING, and everything must have a serial # to do that right.
    So I guess for the range to stay open, probably on limited time anyway, then the range master kind of has to follow the rules.
    What it sounds to me like is happenning is that there is some good folks in Hawaii, that built an AR and want to see how it performs, without REGiSTERING it, makes sure it works as intended, then takes it home and puts it up for a rainy day.
    It is called noncomformance to illegal laws, good folks in every state, I reckon.

Boolit Master
    Almost any resistance movement relies on those who are not willing to confront the Powers that be to at least be willing to look the other way and not be a rat when the true Patriots bear their true colors.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Almost any resistance movement relies on those who are not willing to confront the Powers that be to at least be willing to look the other way and not be a rat when the true Patriots bear their true colors.
    You mean sort of like a range master telling you to take your gun away from here, instead of calling the police like he is suppose to do?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    As a citizen of California I guess I can attack citizens of Texas, since turn about is fair play. Texas citizens seem to think there are ABSOLUTE rights. Guess what genius there are not absolute rights,. Even God allows you to kill in war. Maybe if you had a decent education system you might have been taught something that you didn't read in a comic book.
    No education system is perfect, and all are somewhat skewed. For example, ours allows us to learn in English instead of Spanish like yours requires you to. Ever hear of "Due Process"? That is why you and I would have to be convicted and sentenced to death by a court instead of just summarily executed on a street corner if we were accused of something. And also why our 2A rights can be taken away through a felony conviction (not that I agree there because if you can't be trusted to not be a threat to society, shouldn't you be locked up?), but not because some politician (like many from CA, and unfortunately other States too) think it "reasonable" to limit us to what they think isn't a scary weapon.

All jokes and jabs aside though, we have a lot more in common than we disagree on. Here is my problem. The "reasonable gun control" crowd spews BS about only wanting you and me to give up certain "reasonable" things that according to them we don't need. Well guess what? Today it's 30 round mags, next week it's universal background checks, the week after it is all semi-autos, etc, etc. What does it matter if I steal your entire pack of gun all at once, or individual pieces one at a time, if in the end I get it all anyway? Do you want to pass on your rifle to your kid someday, or a photo of the rifle you used to have before it got confiscated because you compromised your rights away?
    Last edited by Lonegun1894; 11-23-2016 at 08:40 AM.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast