Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Big Boy Steel Carbine

Boolit Master

Big Boy Steel Carbine

I picked up a Big Boy Steel Carbine for Christmas for my 9 year-old. It's in 357 mag. Of course we haven't shot it yet, but I like it so much I ordered one in 45 Colt for myself (Christmas present from my family). This will be my first lever action.

I was a little worried about feeding the bullets I have since all I have are wadcutters and SWC. But I found the rifle cycles 358477 bullets with no problems.

That will make a great Christmas present for your Son something he will have for years to come.

I have a Big Boy steel in 45 Colt and it feeds just about everything well. I even loaded some complete flat nosed bullets and it chambered them fine.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master
    Way to go Dad. Good for you. Just keep a very close eye on him. To paraphrase Art Linkletter, "Kids do the darndest things." Stay safe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I have a Big Boy steel in 45 Colt and it feeds just about everything well. I even loaded some complete flat nosed bullets and it chambered them fine.

Jedman
    That is good to know since I have only one 45 Colt mold and it's a SWC.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Way to go Dad. Good for you. Just keep a very close eye on him. To paraphrase Art Linkletter, "Kids do the darndest things." Stay safe.
    He handles guns safely, but I realize he's still a child. Single shots and bolt actions do not cause me the concern a semi-auto pistol does. We got him an SR22 a couple years ago. He is safe, but I stand right behind him watching the pistol the whole time when he shoots it.
    Last edited by Ickisrulz; 11-22-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    That is good to know since I have only one 45 Colt mold and it's a SWC.
    The SWC that my big boy steel 45 colt is fussy about is the Lyman 452424 (Keith) mold. That one has a crimp groove which puts the COAL well over 1.60, and if you don't crimp right at the front edge of the groove, it will lock up my big boy. First time that happened, I didn't realize what was going on, looked down in the receiver and could see the nose of the bullet right up against the receiver just above the magazine tube. Cartridge comes out, lifter starts to lift it and everything stops. Fortunately it's easy to clear, just take a plastic pen and push down on the rim of the cartridge, and the nose pops right up. Lyman, in their cast bullet manual recommends a COAL of 1.575 for that bullet, which means in front of the front driving band. This isn't a good idea in a lever gun because recoil is going to try to shove the bullets in the magazine down into the cartridge case, since crimping in front of the driving band gives nothing for the crimp to hold on to. I've since purchased a Lee power quick trim die in 45 colt to trim the cartridges to the absolute minimum SAAMI length and I'm very careful to seat so that the cartridge neck is juuuuust past the front edge of the crimp groove, and those feed fine. This whole thing was pretty much a surprise, because I've got a Rossi 92 in 45 colt, and it fed that same bullet crimped anywhere in the crimp groove.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pirkfan View Post
    The SWC that my big boy steel 45 colt is fussy about is the Lyman 452424 (Keith) mold. That one has a crimp groove which puts the COAL well over 1.60, and if you don't crimp right at the front edge of the groove, it will lock up my big boy. First time that happened, I didn't realize what was going on, looked down in the receiver and could see the nose of the bullet right up against the receiver just above the magazine tube. Cartridge comes out, lifter starts to lift it and everything stops. Fortunately it's easy to clear, just take a plastic pen and push down on the rim of the cartridge, and the nose pops right up. Lyman, in their cast bullet manual recommends a COAL of 1.575 for that bullet, which means in front of the front driving band. This isn't a good idea in a lever gun because recoil is going to try to shove the bullets in the magazine down into the cartridge case, since crimping in front of the driving band gives nothing for the crimp to hold on to. I've since purchased a Lee power quick trim die in 45 colt to trim the cartridges to the absolute minimum SAAMI length and I'm very careful to seat so that the cartridge neck is juuuuust past the front edge of the crimp groove, and those feed fine. This whole thing was pretty much a surprise, because I've got a Rossi 92 in 45 colt, and it fed that same bullet crimped anywhere in the crimp groove.
    The rounds I have here are 1.67 so I might be in for some trouble. I guess I'll see in 9 or 10 days and go from there.

Boolit Master
    You will know immediately if they are too long. Accurate makes a really nice mould specifically for the Henry Rifle in 357/38. I just got mine a few weeks ago but have not had an opportunity to cast any yet. My Big Boy Carbine is just joy to shoot maybe one of my favorites rifles to shoot and plink with. I may even take it out this weekend deer hunting. As well as it shoots I have no doubt it will take a deer with no issue. Nice gift for your son.

Boolit Master

As I suspected the only bullet I have for a 45 Colt results in an OAL too long to feed. I had a heck of a time getting the cartridge out of the gun. I am going to order an RCBS 45-230-CM in a few minutes. That should do the trick.

I liked my Henry 357 so much I recently got the 45 Colt. Waiting on my mold from Accurate. He recommended the 45-255A.

So that is what is ordered. Tom has never steered me wrong.

Boolit Master

As I suspected the only bullet I have for a 45 Colt results in an OAL too long to feed. I had a heck of a time getting the cartridge out of the gun. I am going to order an RCBS 45-230-CM in a few minutes. That should do the trick.
    I loaded up some rounds today with the 45-230-CM and 8 grains of Unique. They feed through the magazine and measure at 1070 fps. It is a nice backyard load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I liked my Henry 357 so much I recently got the 45 Colt. Waiting on my mold from Accurate. He recommended the 45-255A.

So that is what is ordered. Tom has never steered me wrong.
    Amen some of the best moulds Imown and the most outstanding service anywhere.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Get yourself some 41 Special brass from Starline and problem solved for any long nosed bulletin your Henry lever flippers.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    Get yourself some 41 Special brass from Starline and problem solved for any long nosed bulletin your Henry lever flippers.
    Mike in Peru
    The length would be OK, but with the diameter difference they'd probably rattle around in the chamber a bit.

Boolit Master

I was under the impression that the special was shorter by .125, all other dimensions were identical to the .41 magnum. I am considering a .41 rifle with the intention of running the special cartridge.

The length would be OK, but with the diameter difference they'd probably rattle around in the chamber a bit.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I was under the impression that the special was shorter by .125, all other dimensions were identical to the .41 magnum. I am considering a .41 rifle with the intention of running the special cartridge.
    This thread was about a BBS in 45 Colt not 41 Mag.

Boolit Master

My mistake, I should read more than Mike in Peru's post. Duh!
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB