WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Titanium in scrap lead

Boolit Buddy

Titanium in scrap lead

I ran across a 50 plus lb of scrap with these metals (Ti=.464), Fe=2.74, Sb=2.95, and Pb/lead at 93.28. I know the iron will dross out but I have never knowingly melted any with Titanium. It is very hard to scratch, I had to use the point of my pocket knife. Google says the melting point of Ti is over 3000 degrees F. Has anyone ran into this, and can it be watered down with pure lead. My scrap dealer says they come in from time to time and he thinks it is medical/x-ray type stuff.
    Thanks, Tony

Boolit Grand Master

The titanium shopuld float out with the dross steel and other impurities also I would think. Its even lighter than steel so it should float quick. You wont be close to the melting point of it smelting or casting. Thats one thing that makes zinc hard to remove is the melting point is close to leads and easily reachable with home equipment.

I doubt the validity of that readout. I have tested a lot of lead samples and if you don't limit what the machine looks for it will always tell you that you have iron. I have not run into Ti in a sample ever. If interested send me a PM and I will test your sample also. The XrF machines are great, but they have to be guided to get accurate readings.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Banned

change that Fe to Sn and you'd have about the same make up as the small isotope containers.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info guys. I passed on that piece, but he said he gets those every now and then and he will save the next ones for me.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    It is incapable of melting or alloying with lead at any temperature that won't turn lead into dangerous oxides. It will float very high, and unless it is in a form, such as lathe swarf, which will produce mechanical interlocking, is incapable of becoming soldered to it. Even jewellers can only spot-weld it.

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    I doubt the validity of that readout. I have tested a lot of lead samples and if you don't limit what the machine looks for it will always tell you that you have iron. I have not run into Ti in a sample ever. If interested send me a PM and I will test your sample also. The XrF machines are great, but they have to be guided to get accurate readings.
    If you have to "guide" the machine to get the results you want, what prevents that guidence from biasing the results?
    Rusty
    Casting for .38 spec, .44 spec/mag, .45 Colt, 38-55, 45-70 and .50ML.... and the boy's slingshot.
    Shake'n'bake powder coating is amazing. Thank you to the guys that developed and shared the process.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty marlin View Post
    If you have to "guide" the machine to get the results you want, what prevents that guidence from biasing the results?
    Rusty
    Well of course you do bias the results. You have to be smart enough to know what to ignore. Hand held XRF guns are pretty low energy and because of this they don't do well with lighter elements. Our Niton gun has different settings for different test type and this changes the guesses the software makes about the results.

For example if you are in metals mode, you're telling the machine everything should be heavy enough to be metal. If you scan a rock it might come back .5% Fe and say the rest of aluminum and titanium. That is because you told it you were scanning metal, and so it guessed that the low energy stuff must have been some sort of low atomic weight metal. If you scan the same rock if plastics mode, it might come back 0.5% Fe and say the rest is plastic. Basically you guide the machine so it can make a semi intelligent guess as to what the missing information must be.

Hope this make sense. In any case, I'd ignore the titanium result in the OP's scan.