RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Unusal lead pouring job

In Remembrance

Unusal lead pouring job

My brother-in-law came over yesterday with an unusal lead pouring job for me. He found a `tire thumper` mini ball bat at a resale store and wanted it weighted. So we deep drilled the ash bat with a 3/4" deep bit (about 8 - 9"). I melted down 3# of an unknown lead and proceeded to fill the hole to within 1" of the tip. He will epoxy a wood plug in the tip and sand smooth then paint the whole bat. He is a retired semi truck driver, now just an RV coach driver. Still he wanted a bat to check his tires with. He is 65 so he`s a bit too old for `gang fighting`!Robert

I'm only 39 and I'm too old for gang fighting too. That's why I carry an ugly old Glock.
    I like to tell myself Glock beats stick, but it don't always. A fella can get on you quicker than you can draw if he's motivated.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    I'm only 39 and I'm too old for gang fighting too. That's why I carry an ugly old Glock.
    I like to tell myself Glock beats stick, but it don't always. A fella can get on you quicker than you can draw if he's motivated.
    If all I have is a stick and the other fellow has a holstered gun you better believe I'll be motivated!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Bringing a stick to a gun fight???
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Banned

you could throw that stick and take an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinne View Post
    Bringing a stick to a gun fight???
    It's an absolute proven fact that an assailant with a knife can close 15-20 ft and attack before the average person can draw. Guns are not ALWAYS the great equalizer we like to think them to be.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Vinne, look at history, Bat Mastreson allegedly did hence the name, fivefang

Boolit Grand Master
    In-Service training one year, the instructor pulled me in front of the class, put a plastic pistol in my holster, and demonstrated that a man (and he was a pudgy little guy) with a knife will cut you bad before you can draw. He picked me because he knew me as a reasonable pistolero and, I knew he was going to come at me. Didn't matter. He got me good.

Banned

Only way is a gun in hand. A man with a knife is like a griz at 20' with your gun in a holster. Eat more pepper. Remove front sight!

Boolit Master
    Still in all, a tire thumper is better than just your fists...

Boolit Buddy
    Drill a hole through the thumper and lead core and put in a mild steel pin. Peen over the pin on both ends and the lead core won't come out.

Boolit Master
    So that is why baseball bats outsell baseballs? Everywhere they were serious about a cutting sword as a weapon for use on foot - the Vikings, Japan, the Scottish Highlands - the length crept down to about thirty inches or less in the blade, for lightness beat length. If any of your brother-in-law's tires look like giving him trouble, he might be better off with the unaltered bat. He can always hit it twice.

But if needs must, wood with lead cast directly into it can easily crack, either at the time or if it contracts later. It might make more sense to cast a slightly undersized lead cylinder, possibly in an aluminium cigar tube (embed it in sand in case the tube gives way, but I don't believe it will), and stick it in the hole with silicon rubber. The wooden plug on top can be a tight, glued fit.