RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next purchase - 50ae Eagle?

Next purchase - 50ae Eagle?

Alright folks, I need your help again. Looking at buying a Desert Eagle chambered in 50ae, with the black oxide finish for $850.

I'm mainly just trying to convince myself to buy it for fun. I've got the 500 S&W Magnum, and the 454 Casull. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Any compelling reasons for me not to buy it?

Banned

I have always wanted one of the beasts. My friend has one with a stack of barrels in other calibers.
    Another friend has the .44. They are good shooters. 50 yard groups rival any guns.
    But like any semi, catching empties is needed.
    It is an amazing huge hunk of metal.

I think I would buy a 44mag barrel to go with it. But that would mean I need to acquire dies for both calibers.

It is definitely impressive though. I'm just torn between this, or another suppressor.

If it were my money the deagle would win every time.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a single piece of .50 AE brass on my loading bench. I use it as a scoop for .45-70 powder charges!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have shot one a few times. Recoil is not bad at all with the Hornady 300 gr ammo. Loud though on an indoor range.
    I hate losing brass, even 45 Auto brass. I hate looking for brass too on an out door range. Still am looking at getting one though.

Boolit Master

They both sounds good to me, but I have to confess I'd never own either because I couldn't hold the .357 version on target 15 years ago at a gun show and I was younger and stronger then. These pistols are "crew served" to me!
    Bulldogger

Boolit Master

No on the black oxide finish. This critter needs shiny nickel plate, with maybe some gold accents!

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    No on the black oxide finish. This critter needs shiny nickel plate, with maybe some gold accents!
    lol Noooooo. I don't care for the shiny ones. Brushed nickel I would probably be ok with. I prefer the discrete black oxide, and let it speak for itself without the added flashy finish. JMHO

I had one in 44 mag and have fired several rounds from a .50

They are tanks, they are accurate and they are dependable. VERY strong.

They just feel clumsy to me. It's the trade off for what you get. You just can't get a big block chevrolet into a vega and not have a front end weight problem. It's just how things are.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

I had the 50ae- it was actually my first experience handloading. I figured with it being a rare and expensive caliber I would come out ahead loading my own. It took some tinkering but I got a reliable load figured out.

You need to buy expensive jacketed bullets because of the easy to clog and impossible to clean gas port. Plated bullets are iffy because you need a full power load to cycle the action. These two things- the narrow window of powder charge and bullet weight to make the action cycle, and the expense of the bullet heads made the gun way less fun than my 500s. The 500 mag I can cast a wide variety of bullets for cheap and shoot anything that'll chamber where the DE can only handle what'll fit in the magazine.

On the plus side the eagle is super accurate. Recoil is stiff but not as bad as full power 500mag. The unlocking bolt tends to make the gun recoil up and counter clockwise which can tend to shoot the brass right at your forehead when you start getting tired. The accuracy is addictive and I always meant to shoot a box or two and ended up putting a ton of shots theough in a session, then always wondered why my hand was tender a couple days later haha!

I still want one in 44- it would combine the semi auto with a still way more powerful than you need for anything caliber, but with better second shot speed and shoot all day comfort.

Good luck!
    radar

Boolit Master
    The do look bad #$$ but for me and my small hands the 50ae is just hard to control. Cool factor is up there but if I was to buy one it would be in 44. Ymmv

If Wade (Deadpool) Wilson can shoot 2 of them effectively, what's not to like! I mean movies are real aren't they?

Boolit Mold
    My son has a Desert Eagle that he bought new 10 or so years ago with a .44mag. barrel and the .50AE barrel. They are fun to shoot, but they are a 70oz. gun. About the same weight as a .500 Smith. Not bad to shoot with the .50 though. They are kind of limited to copper bullets because of the gas ports getting plugged and 325 gr. is the heaviest I've seen for the .50 though. Chasing brass is an issue also, but a fun gun!

Mrs Wild Bill and I had one each. Her's was 357mag and mine was 44mag. Being heavy she did not shoot it often, but when she did it was accurate as can be. The 44 was a real fun to shoot especially later in the day when the sun is low. What a flame thrower. Sadly we don't have them anymore.

Boolit Master
    If you're really wanting one $850 is a good price if it's in good shape. If I didn't already have one I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Those things in my opinion have some interesting things going for them. A very unique design. People complain about them being jamOmatics. The magazine is designed to float, you put pressure up on it they will jam a lot so don't slap the but against the bench and shoot away. Naked lead bullets will foul the system, this is fact. Gas checks help but they will still foul. Light loads will not cycle the action but I hope you have smaller guns if you don't want to put up with recoil and noise. If you're into powder coating lead and don't mind playing with it quite a bit it's a very cheap option compared to buying jacketed .50 cal bullets. I have a video on youtube that shows exactly how much fouling you're going to get shooting PC bullets in the eagle (my channel name is the same as my name here). You will need to seat the bullet deeper in the case for them to chamber. I recommend using the barrel as a chamber gauge. Stuck rounds in the chamber are not fun to get out when experimenting with oal (no need to ask me how I know).

If you do insist on shooting naked lead and foul the gas system it is not impossible to clean, all is not lost. I have a .41 mag eagle that when I bought it very reasonably priced it was fouled from one end to the other with lead and lube. Time, patience, kroil, and an ultrasonic cleaner is mostly what you'll need. The process took me about a week to get it perfectly clean. That gun shoots very nicely now.

I'm really not trying to sell these things for any practical reason. If you don't have big hands they're not going to fit you. They weigh 72 oz empty, this is a good and bad thing. The 50AE has a felt recoil but hardly punishing. My 41 mag is a soft push and enjoyable to shoot. I've never shot one in 357 but don't doubt they're soft to say the least. At the end of the day they're probably one of the lesser practical, more expensive guns I own but are all about fun, never exclude the "fun factor".

The chambering itself is quite useable as I also own a bfr 2 cylinder in 50 JRH/50 AE that I'll say nothing but good about, but that is a story for another thread.

Ebner

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    A pistol club I was a member of in Cairns was attached to a gun shop. They would let people come in and shoot a few rounds for some crazy price. The last pistol they gave the customer was a .50 DE. Because many of these customers had NO experience with any kind of firearm (they were mostly Japanese tourists), the gun being shot was attached to a couple of chains, one went to the wall either side of the cubicle. The chains were fairly short so that the shooter could not turn around and point the pistol anywhere they shouldn't. Everytime one of them fired the DE, the recoil would drive the gun and shooter back, pulling the chains tight. The continual slamming on the walls would loosen all sort of junk on the ceiling which would then rain down all over me. Whenever I saw a tourist shooter comming in, I would unload, put my gun in its cover and sit down and wait for them to finish. It is kind of difficult to shoot well with wasp larve crawling through your hair.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    I don't know what loads were being used in a 50AE that the gun had that much recoil but it couldn't have been Hornady 300 gr ammo.
    The one I shot maybe a year ago had less felt recoil than my 45/8's 44 Mag Ruger SBH with 320 gr loads.
    Other than much louder it was more comfortable to shoot by a long shot. And it didn't have the muzzle brake either.

Boolit Master
    The worst part of the one I fired was the last piece of brass fired pegged you right between the eyes. Hard. It made group shooting a real adventure It shot very well, just under 2" at 85 yards with a red dot that covered a good bit more than that, using Speer 300 grain handloads with a healthy charge of H-110.

$850.00 on a 50 is a steal. I own a first gen 44 and have fired the 50. As mentioned earlier, if you want to shoot it a lot get a 44 barrel for it. A box of 50 AE in my area is over $32.00 for 20. For $10.00 more you get 50 44's.

If you buy it the next thing you know you will be dropping a $1000.00 or more on Swaging equipment so you won't have to buy jacketed bullets. I have tried to shoot lead out of mine (and not even considering the gas ports) at 15 yards the lead bullets key holed the target 50% of the time.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast