Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sig P238 or Colt Mustang Pocketlite

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Sig P238 or Colt Mustang Pocketlite

I think this spring I'm going to get out of my Ruger LCP for a pocket auto and get something a wee bit larger. The problems with the LCP are twofold. First, it flings brass all over creation. Yes, I know most people regard it as a carry alot/shoot a little sort of gun but there is no such thing to me. I shoot my carry guns alot, and unlike 9mm there is no endless buffet of free range brass for the .380. Second, I have big hands and the LCP is just too darn small. I can shoot it well if I really concentrate on grip and trigger pull but in a defensive situation that is a luxury I won't have or even be thinking about. By contrast I can shoot my Glock 42 and S&W 637 fairly well right out of the holster, focusing only on the front sight. These are on the large side for pocket carry, the 42 because of the length of the slide and the 637 because of the cylinder width.

I examined a used Colt Mustang XSP yesterday and was impressed with it sizewise. It has a nice solid feel in the hand and seems to strike the right balance for me. That one was overpriced, and I don't want the ambidextrous safety so I am considering the standard Sig P238 or Mustang Pocketlite (new version, not the older one). Is one of these superior to the other in any way? The Mustang weighs slightly less and has more rounded edges, also the Colt mags are alot cheaper for some reason. The Sig costs less and is a Sig, also I think it will take any other Sig pistol sights. I'm leaning towards the P238 because I trust Sig more than Colt and it costs less. Anybody here owned both pistols? Do they have any parts interchangeability? I've read conflicting accounts about whether the mags are interchangeable or not.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    In today's world of very small pistols chambered in 9mm Luger, many with DA triggers - the .380 auto cartridge has little appeal to me.

Back when the .380 represented about the maximum power one could obtain out of a true pocket pistol there was a solid reason to go with the .380. Most of those pistols were simple blowback designs like the SIG P230 or Walther PPK and they were outstanding little guns.
    We now have locked breach designs chambered in 9mm Luger that just were not available 20 years ago.
    The guns mentioned in the first post are both locked breach designs and good guns but I would urge the OP to at least consider a 9mm in that same class and also think about some type of DA or DAO action for a self-defense pistol.

Given the criteria of the first post, I would have to go with the SIG over the Colt but I would really like a third choice like a Kahr MK9 or one of the other small DA 9mm pistols.

Friend, I hear you but I cannot shoot the pocket 9's well enough to be confident with them, at least not without downloading them to hot .380/standard .38 Special power level. Which means, I may as well carry a .380. I have owned a few Kahrs. Very nice pistols but the size and shape of the trigger and the way it breaks makes them difficult to shoot for me. Sounds like nitpicking but is true with every one of them. In my carry guns, I demand reliability, accuracy, and quick follow up shots. I am well aware of my limitations and know I am not going to get all three in a pocket size 9mm.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I shoot an older Colt Government .380 and I love it. it has the heavier steel frame but is still light enough for full time carry. it is about the same size as the Mustang but a little longer. highly dependable and extremely accurate.

Boolit Master

I had all three, the Pocklite, XSP, and 238. I now have two Taurus TCP 738. Theses two were cheaper, including extra mags, than any of the others.

Only the XSP didn't go back to the factory. But it shoot terrible. The Pocklite had parts coming out of it! Twice! The Sig had an issue coming apart, a quaility control issue that was fixed by Sig quickly! That would be the only one of the three you mentioned to get. I will stick to the cheap and easy to use TCPs, 100% with hardball, Powerball, and Critical Defense.

I have a holster to fit any of them!!! LOL

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

If you shoot the gun a great deal, I would recommend the SIG. The Colt is a good gun but I have personal concern about Colt support for repairs and parts. I have not shot the SIG or the new Mustang but have a pair of 30 year old Colt Government .380s which are wonderful and nearly bullet proof. They are a little larger than the Mustang and you might look for one on the used market. I find them fullly acceptable for pocket carry and have done so with one in my front shirt pocket.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I shoot an older Colt Government .380 and I love it. it has the heavier steel frame but is still light enough for full time carry. it is about the same size as the Mustang but a little longer. highly dependable and extremely accurate.
    That would be my pick!!!!!!

How long ago did you have your P238? I have read that the early runs had alot of problems which have since been straightened out.

Colt has been on life support for years, mostly due to their own dumb, shortsighted choices. They would have been dead and buried a long time ago if not for their BFFs at DOD and investors who, for unimaginable reasons, think that giving them money is a good idea. I am not counting on Colt to outlive me and the very real possibility that factory support for the Mustang will vanish someday is a concern.

Boolit Buddy
    I know it was not on your list but I recently downsized and went with a SIG P938. I got a small concealable 9mm with 45 auto SA controls that I can consistently hit 50yd targets offhand.
    Those stress balls really work..... When you get to shove them down a persons throat.

Boolit Master
    I haven't owned one of the new pocket-lite Colts, but I've shot a few. I also owned one of the old models a while back. I currently own and carry the Sig.

I've fired several thousand rounds through the Sig with zero problems, zero malfunctions, and zero complaints. The older pocket-lite that I had wouldn't go 50 rounds without having a malfunction of some type. I understand that the new Colts are slightly different, and the ones I shot didn't have the same problem as my older model, but I've been so happy with the Sig that I honestly haven't considered changing it out for anything (except possibly the 938, but that's a different story).
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I found that the Hogue grip sleeve on the LCP is a great improvement in being able to shoot the gun well, but it is the "church gun" for deep cover, discreet carry, not the first choice. So, I understand completely wanting something "bigger".

That's why I have TWO SIG-Sauer P230s and TWO Beretta M1934s.

Attachment 180928Attachment 180929Attachment 180930
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have a grip sleeve on my LCP and it helps, but really doesn't address the fact that the gun is just too small for me to shoot well and loses brass. I may keep the LCP for a deep cover situation or times when I don't want to carry a more expensive gun.

Like the mini Kahrs, the 938 is just too small of a 9mm for my taste. It is about the same size as the Glock 42 and weighs a bit more so I wouldn't be gaining anything. I know the Mustang and 238 are really not that much smaller but the XSP I examined yesterday sure feels like it is. Besides, I really like the .380 cartridge and need another gun to shoot it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    How long ago did you have your P238? I have read that the early runs had alot of problems which have since been straightened out.

Colt has been on life support for years, mostly due to their own dumb, shortsighted choices. They would have been dead and buried a long time ago if not for their BFFs at DOD and investors who, for unimaginable reasons, think that giving them money is a good idea. I am not counting on Colt to outlive me and the very real possibility that factory support for the Mustang will vanish someday is a concern.
    end of last year, my last "quality" 380 is bought. Don't get me wrong, it ran great after the initial fix. And I would carry it and feel confident, but just couldn't get over the price and was offered good money for it. Bought one TCP for $100, with three mags. Went to Taurus that day, came back and runs like a Singer. Just picked up the second one. Never had a miscue with it. Are they weapons I'm going to put thousands of rounds through? Nope. They might see 150-200 between the two this year. They hit POA and function, and one of the two with me at all times.

I also gave up SA pistols for pocket carry after the safety being knocked off a few times. And it's hard for me to take the safety off with just two finger grip. Some don't have that problem.

Boolit Master

You consider the Ruger LC380?

LC380 is actually a bit larger than the 42 and is DAO with a redundant manual safety. The consensus is that Ruger is going to keep it around only as long as it remains on the happy list in California, then drop it as they did with the original LC9.

Boolit Master

I like it, along with the original LC9. Heavy trigger can be learned and less likely to get "Glock Leg Syndrome".

Boolit Grand Master

I have the SIg 238 also ad like the sights on it better than any other pocket auto I have. They are fixed but of a size and shape that can be seen easily, mine are the sig tritium insert sights and they just plain work. My SIg shoots better tthan any pocket auto should, I routinely shoot it out past 25 yds. Took a woodchuck with it at the farm at close to 40 yds because it was handy. The remington 102 grn load did a good job on it. Look your choices over handle them and if possinle rent them and shoot them a little, see what works for you.

Boolit Bub
    You might also look at the sig 938, almost the same size as the 238 only 9mm, i carry one on a daily basis

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by camp View Post
    You might also look at the sig 938, almost the same size as the 238 only 9mm, i carry one on a daily basis
    +1!
    and it's the easiest shooting tiny pistol. Surprisingly easy shooting.

Currently watching Hickok45's video on the P238 and am starting to get sold on it. He is a big dude like me and that pistol just disappears on him. The brass doesn't go far and the muzzle doesn't jump much when firing. Still have a lever action to bail out of layaway jail before I can swing it though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast