Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Join the Cast Bullet Association

Join the Cast Bullet Association

I've been thinking about joining I would like to start shooting competitively for fun to become better. Thought briefly about three gun competition but, that looks to intense and very expensive. Other than the rifle/pistol, molds and bench rest in the bench rest competition. Are the competitions kind of relaxed is there a lot of specialty equipment required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 11-24-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Micheal, I've been shooting CBA competition for about 20 years and the competitors are the most laid back of any competition I have shot. You probably have a rifle or rifles that qualify. Two classes are factory rifle requiring factory action,barrel,trigger and stock. Biggest difference is weight and there are some modifications allowed.There are classes for military surplus rifles,3 classes,Issue,modified iron sights and modified scope sight. Issue is exactly that . The modified classes allow some modifications. Scope class is limited to 6X. Check the CBA web site for competition rules. Any questions you have send me a pm and I'll do my best to answer.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    This is a proposal for a new postal match series being discussed in the CB forum and is being recommended to take to the CBA Board. I think it illustrates a thought process encouraging "laid back" competition.

PRACTICAL SMALL GAME aka, “Rabbit Hunter” or “Bunny Gun”

This fun match encourages use of fixed ammunition using plain-based lead bullets in light sporting rifles or handguns suitable for hunting small game, fired at short range, from practical field positions.

1) Any single-shot or repeating rifle, either center-fire or rim-fire, weight not to exceed 7-1/2 pounds, complete with iron sights, or hunting scope not to exceed 6X. (Variables may be taped at 6X). A sling may be used. No fore-end stops, adjustable butt plates, adjustable comb or palm rests allowed.

2) Any pistol or revolver, of any caliber or barrel length, weight not to exceed 50 ozs. IRON SIGHT handgun - record targets shot at 50 FEET. SCOPE SIGHT handgun - record targets shot at 50 YARDS.

3) There is NO restriction as to caliber, either rimfire or center-fire as long as firearms use fixed ammunition and lead bullets without a gas check. .22 LR and WRF loaded with lead bullets are OK, but jacketed .17 HMR, .22 WMR, are not.

4) Rifle barrels must be of legal US length 16 inches or longer. Muzzle diameter or measurement across the flats (if octagon) of either rifle or handgun may not exceed .90”

5) Iron sights may not contain any glass or plastic lenses, filters or leveling aids.

6) Custom guns may be used, but must follow the “spirit” of the rules, being suitable for a farmer’s or country gentleman’s “walking gun”, a lawman’s carbine or outdoorsman’s trail handgun. Rifle stocks must be of wood. Laminated wood stocks are permitted, as are bedding adjustments or repairs containing fiberglass or epoxy, as long as the gun meets all sight and weight restrictions.

NRA Lifesize Game Target Cottontail Rabbit
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=552641

RIFLE:
    Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from any practical field position at the shooter’s option from a range of 50 YARDS
    . Firing must be from off the ground, from either prone, sitting, kneeling or standing position, shooter’s option. A shooting sling, walking stick or cane, tree branch or crossed sticks held in the hand, but NOT “jammed” into the ground may be used for support. Shooters requiring use of a wheel chair for mobility may use one arm of their chair for support.

HANDGUN (Pistol or Revolver):
    Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from an unsupported standing position at a range of 50 FEET in the IRON sight class, and 50 YARDS in the scope sight class
    . A two-handed hold may be used, but no other means of support is allowed.

SCORING:

Unlimited practice shots may be taken on the marked sighter target.

Ten shots will be scored on marked record targets. If there are excessive hits the low ten shots will be scored. Shots contained completely inside the brain or heart-lung vital areas without breaking the lines count “X” used in breaking ties only. Shots breaking the lines of those vital areas score ten points each. Shots not breaking vital lines, but completely contained within the rabbit body count 8 points. Leg hits 5 points. Scratch hits touching anywhere else on rabbit including the feet, ears or tail count 1 point each.

RE-ENTRY
    Shooters are limited to one entry in each class, but may enter and fire in all classes, iron sighted rifle, scoped rifle, iron sighted handgun, and scoped handgun.

Starting Point for discussion of a Proposed Match Schedule:

January - Snowshoe Bunny, entries above Mason-Dixon line only unless below freezing or you have snow!

February - Ladies Only Valentine Bunny

March – Spring Ice Breaker - New Shooter’s and Juniors Only
    – Juniors Under Age 18

April - Retiree’s Revenge
    – Retired Codgers over age 65

May - Military Rifle, Service Pistol or Revolver
    weight limit is suspended this month only for Memorial Day

June – Regular Monthly Match

July – Independence Day Bunny - Muzzleloading Rifle, Pistol or Cap & Ball Revolver - NO Weight Limit!

August – Regular Monthly Match

September – Regular Monthly Match

October – no match, you have had time to practice and should be out hunting Rascally Wabbits!

November – no match, you should be out deer hunting!

December - no match, Merry Christmas!

The rules are intended to be flexible, but to encourage people to "dance with the girl they brought" rather than building "rule beater" guns. Having to shoot from practical field positions is a great leveler.

CBA already has a Deer Hunter's Practical match using a lifesized deer target with hunting rifles from standing position, which is popular. It is hoped that the Bunny Gun match will encourage new shooters to try out their .22s if that's all they have, then they can try cast loads in their deer rifle after they get "bitten by the bug."
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by catskinner View Post
    Micheal, I've been shooting CBA competition for about 20 years and the competitors are the most laid back of any competition I have shot. You probably have a rifle or rifles that qualify. Two classes are factory rifle requiring factory action,barrel,trigger and stock. Biggest difference is weight and there are some modifications allowed.There are classes for military surplus rifles,3 classes,Issue,modified iron sights and modified scope sight. Issue is exactly that . The modified classes allow some modifications. Scope class is limited to 6X. Check the CBA web site for competition rules. Any questions you have send me a pm and I'll do my best to answer.
    I joined last night. I'm a little bit away from being ready for postal matches but, hopefully by summer.

Boolit Master
    My favorite is the Military matches. I used to have to drive for three hours to get to the closest match but I cured that by running my own at the Lincoln Gun Club in Merrill, WI. There are no matches that are more laid back than these.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Cost? Who do I pay and hello my name is Steve and I have a addiction to Russian surplus arms and casting and reloading and lately I've spent most day light hours in a tree stand, I'm a bad influence and may not be fit for membership in your fine organization!
    It's true - hopelessly addicted, and most definitely a bad influence, can I get a witness! Oh wait I'm a witness. Yep he's 100% Guilty. One of those cases where he confession was NOT coerced. Unless you count letting him join, we mostly just keep him electronically tethered to the aforementioned tree stand hoping he will become fit for civilized society. No luck so far maybe you guys can do something with him. HiYa Steve
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Just received my membership card and magazine last Saturday

Boolit Master
    How do I view my electronic copy of the magazine and when do I know when the next issue is available?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Tim, PM me with your email address and I can send you a .pdf of the current issue.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus
    I was impressed by the new web site 'till I went to the forum. it looks like the old messaging boards we used to have in the early days of the netty and looks backward and not as easy on the eye and more difficult to navigate that proper forums.

Good that they have electronic membership renewal and electronic versions of the fouling shot.

A mixed bag of improvements and backward steps but I've renewed for five years, real shame about the forum though the old fashioned layout doesn't make me want to return often.

BTW what the hell are Tags?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

Received the current issue yesterday. For me, it was full of good stuff. I do enjoy reading about others experiences. The article about black powder in the .45 Colt made me want to try it. I also enjoyed the article by Steve Hurst on trying out handguns. Some may argue that none of this is "new" stuff, but, as I said I enjoyed it and am glad that all the authors took the time to write and submit.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    I joined earlier in the week. Shooting postal comps is not viable due to distance but the articles in Fouling Shot are very good.

Cast Boolits Owner

Bump for a good cause.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    Bump for a good cause.
    Thanks for the "BUMP"...I missed the original post back in November due to being out of the country. FWIW I've been a member of the CBA for about 30 years and have found it to be a great organization, with some really neat people. During the past 30 years, I've participated in the Spokane Rifle Club sponsored CBA matches, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I have also participated in some of the postal matches down thru the years, but don't find them to be as much fun as "shoulder to shoulder" competition, YMMV.
    All in all, a very worthwhile organization, check it out!--Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12