RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Caliber PPB Question

Boolit Master
    Maybe I better check my books. That number was from memory and my memory is not always good. However, my bullet is 513 grs. I also have a 537 gr bullet and I have numbers for that as well. I'll check for both of them and see what I find.

Brent

Boolit Master
    In my paper patch chambered .45-70's the velocities I get are pretty close to Brent's. Last chronograph session was 1281 average with 80gr of Swiss 1.5 and a 530gr Money bullet. That's with a 32" barrel. Velocity measured at about 15 feet, not corrected to the muzzle.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I should also add that my Badger barrels seem to have a .450" bore. I generally use .445" bullets patched with 8lb Seth Cole, although one of my .45-110's uses a .444" bullet patched with 9lb paper that I bought from Buffalo Arms several years ago.

My C. Sharps rifles with factory chambers have some freebore. The .45-110 shoots paper patched bullets quite well, but I never got the .45-70 to shoot them especially well for some reason.

Chris.

kokomokid,

Since my chamber is tight for ppb, chambered with Brent's reamer, the case mouth is .452" in unsized, fired brass. I can compress 82.0 grains of powder first and then fight the .460" diameter wad into the case, but why. When I stepped up to 83.0 and thinking I'd like try even a few more grains to find the sweet spot I decided the bushing was the best way to go. I did go up to 85.0 grains but 83.0 proved to be what the rifle likes.

So now I just set the bushing on the case, drop tube in the powder, very easily set the wad in the funnel shaped bushing and compress, then seat my .4505" patched bullet.

My Hepburn has a 34" Badger barrel with a bore that is too loose for a .450" bullet. If I patch to .451" the first one goes in just snug, but because this rifle likes to shoot a little dirty I'll start having trouble about the 3rd or 4th shot. So I made a .4505" sizing bushing for my patched bullets and we're both happy. I just have to watch my fouling very, very closely and I do that by feel with the single wet patch. If it starts to feel tight at the muzzle I follow with a 2nd wet then the one dry. Doing that I can average the 9-ring, with a little help from my spotter. Life is good!

DT
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Black powder paper patching is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12