MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propane burner recommendations

Boolit Buddy

Propane burner recommendations

I am gathering up the items I need to join the madness. Could you gentlemen give me a few links to propane burners that is suitable for use with an average size dutch oven filled to the gills with wheel weights?

Of course, cost is a close second to suitability of use. I don't want to get something that will collapse the first time I use it so that is why I am asking for the help.

Boolit Master

Just make sure the regulator says "high pressure", otherwise the BTU output isn't great enough, in my experience. And the burners that have the small ring in the middle seem to be hotter than the ones with the larger ring. I personally prefer a heavy duty stainless steel cooking pot as I have heard of people hitting the cast iron pots and having them crack and fail.

Boolit Bub
    I use a single burner propane coleman ring that screws into a small propane tank. I have it hanging in a little rig I welded together. I use a small cast iron poperrei pot I found at a veteran resale store. Works great. I run it off my aux propane gas line on my travel trailer..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Banned

Best deal out there, $67.99 delivered

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/back...25MaAlKj8P8HAQ

Boolit Buddy
    You can check several places, but this model had worked GREAT for me...

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/266...FZCIaQod1OsGXQ
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

RDA that looks like the best one I have seen, did you take the baffle off of that? and what kind of pot do you use, I use a propane tank cut at the weld, was wondering about how long it takes you to melt a packed full pot?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Bayou Classic w/ a jet burner. As stated above make sure it's high pressure, red regulator. Bought it off Amazon so shipping was $0.

Banned

all this time I have been using a double burner camp chef and 2 cast iron pots.
    it takes a little while to get them going but once they are going I am melting in one and emptying the other.
    I made a wind break that wraps around the back and sides and have another piece that goes over the front and is bent over the top to hold all the heat in.
    the ingot molds will sit right on the top in-between the two pots so I don't have to move the alloy too far with the ladle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    RDA that looks like the best one I have seen, did you take the baffle off of that? and what kind of pot do you use, I use a propane tank cut at the weld, was wondering about how long it takes you to melt a packed full pot?
    I put all the parts on it. I use a flat bottom Dutch Oven from Academy Sports..
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Master

I used to melt all my scrap on a Coleman stove with a small pot, and 2 LEE ingots moulds. it works, but it took me 4 hours to do 50 lbs of ingots. Now I prefer so save up my scrap until i have a large batch and run 2 turkey fryers at a time. Using a lot of ingot molds I can do 200 lbs an hour. Time is precious, I hate to waste it. I bought both fryers at garage sales and the pots cost me 3 bucks each at Goodwill.

I've been using this 3 burner cast iron camp stove:
    http://www.agrisupply.com/triple-bur...stove/p/48591/
    with this adjustable regulator:
    https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic.../dp/B007PS0938

The stove I've used for about 10 years, the regulator is only a few years old, the old one quit adjusting properly so I replaced it instead of risk having a problem with 60+ pounds of molten lead and two burners going.

I usually have a pot at each end going when I am casting ingots. If I am casting bullets or balls I just use one burner.

As an added bonus the three burners spreads the heat out nicely and can be used with bluing salts and a 36" stainless steel tub or for boiling water for rust bluing in a 36" sheet metal tub I made.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master
    This what I have.no beefing up for weight required and plenty of heat if you need it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...propane+burner

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post

Thanks for that, jmort. Looks to be just about perfect.

Boolit Bub
    I have had good luck with the Bayou Classic single jet burner and a dutch oven.

Boolit Grand Master

I cast and smelt with the same stand and burner just diffrent pots. My casting pot is a 25lb propane tank cut just above the bottom radious and holds about 130 lns full the smeliting pot is a little bigger about 200 lbs or a little more. Both have a ring of the tank welded on them to make a bigger "foot print" than the original stand rings did. The stand is a reienforced turkey frier stand. The burner is a 500,000 btu harbor frieght weed burner. With this set up I can have 120 lbs of lead molten in 20-30 mins. I modified my by removing the "turbo" handle and adding ball valve and a lever valve. Lever Valve is on and off ball valve is used to maintain temp. I also added a set of legs at the front and a 90* elbow with nipple to set it at the right hieght. I run of 25lb propane tank and this set up works really well for me. I was using a cast iron dutch oven for several years until I got in a hurry and didnt start as slow as I should have warming it. Was hurrying and crank the burner up on a 3555* pot and the bottom cracked from expanding to fast. Cast Iron works but care ust be used starting out. a 8-10 min warm up at lower setting is needed with cast Iron to warm it and give it time to normalize. I think I gave $20.00 for the burner at harbor Frieght when I bought it.

Boolit Master

Decided I was doing enough volume to go for the 60# Satan's Little Smelter about a year ago. It's not the cheap option but it does do a few nice things for you:

1. FAST! It's designed very well to channel the heat from its Bayou Classic burner into the heating tube. Wind is MUCH less a factor than with my old camping/turkey burners.

2. LESS FATIGUE. Having a bottom pour valve with a shelf to slide your ingot mold under is WAAAAAAAY better than dealing with the back-and-forth of a ladle. This contributes greatly to. . .

3. SAFETY. It's on a solid base (there are a couple of leg height options) and you don't have to lift it up to dump the dregs like you would with a cast iron pot.

Short version, it takes a about half the time to do the same work as with the improvised approach, and wears me out a lot less doing it.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

If there's a Bass Pro Shop near you watch for their Fish fryer to go on sale. I've been using one with a large cast Iron dutch oven for 10 years and paid around 30.00 for it. I see them on sale for not much more than that at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Decided I was doing enough volume to go for the 60# Satan's Little Smelter about a year ago. It's not the cheap option but it does do a few nice things for you:

1. FAST! It's designed very well to channel the heat from its Bayou Classic burner into the heating tube. Wind is MUCH less a factor than with my old camping/turkey burners.

2. LESS FATIGUE. Having a bottom pour valve with a shelf to slide your ingot mold under is WAAAAAAAY better than dealing with the back-and-forth of a ladle. This contributes greatly to. . .

3. SAFETY. It's on a solid base (there are a couple of leg height options) and you don't have to lift it up to dump the dregs like you would with a cast iron pot.

Short version, it takes a about half the time to do the same work as with the improvised approach, and wears me out a lot less doing it.
    I just looked through their vendor section here. Looks like some time has past since the last post. I just posted today, asking if they're still being made. Sure looks like a nice system.

Boolit Master

This one here is what I use. I can't imagine needing more heat.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...gle+jet+burner

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post

A buddy just purchased one of these. He is very happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast